Player Discussion: Axel Jonsson Fjällby

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
One of our kids has reached deep into the popcultural meme past to christen our new swift Swede Action Jackson FalloutBoy.

If he hits a hatty this season that's going on a (cheap) T-shirt.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
zoolander.jpg

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Ugh I kind of hate this. Why is Kuhlman valued higher? I just do not get it.
The thing that gets lost is the extent to which Axel improves an aggressive forecheck with his speed and tenacity. I somehow feel that Bones has dialed back on aggressiveness nearly everywhere in an attempt to be more risk averse -to the detriment of the team`s performance.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He pks and knows his role Is my guess. Some guys are ok with maybe being the 13th forward. Maybe Axel isn't
This is a good add to the discussion. Just pure speculation, but some players cause less ripples with unfavourable usage compared to others. One of the reasons Capo has stayed around all season as the PB guy is he comes to practice and games when he is in the PB with a smile on his face and embraces that role. No idea if this applies to Axel, as I'd personally keep him over Kulman, but maybe it is part of the story? Another thing I'd throw out is maybe he makes it known that if he isn't an everyday player he'd prefer to be released and get an opportunity somewhere that needs him.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
considering it is his second time on waivers this year, he probably should be :)
Really if you look at this team from the start of the year it's been a shuffle. Maenalanen earned a roster spot that knocked Harkins out of the lineup, onto waivers. AJF got a roster spot in a waiver claim, by knocking Toninato out of the lineup through waivers. Toninato, Harkins and Eyssimont all got recalled through waivers, eventually Toninato got sent down once some guys got healthy. Stenlund came up from being an earlier waiver player, and held on to his spot. Kuhlman got picked up from waivers after Appleton went down. The players coming back in January sent Harkins back down through waivers, and Eyssimont was lost. Now Appleton coming back has lost AJF.

If you look at what the starting lineup was, game 1

Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers
Perfetti-Dubois-Wheeler
Barron-Lowry-Appleton
Maenalanen-Gustafsson-Gagner

the Jets haven't lost anyone who started the year on the team. Just shuffled around their depth role players.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Really if you look at this team from the start of the year it's been a shuffle. Maenalanen earned a roster spot that knocked Harkins out of the lineup, onto waivers. AJF got a roster spot in a waiver claim, by knocking Toninato out of the lineup through waivers. Toninato, Harkins and Eyssimont all got recalled through waivers, eventually Toninato got sent down once some guys got healthy. Stenlund came up from being an earlier waiver player, and held on to his spot. Kuhlman got picked up from waivers after Appleton went down. The players coming back in January sent Harkins back down through waivers, and Eyssimont was lost. Now Appleton coming back has lost AJF.

If you look at what the starting lineup was, game 1

Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers
Perfetti-Dubois-Wheeler
Barron-Lowry-Appleton
Maenalanen-Gustafsson-Gagner

the Jets haven't lost anyone who started the year on the team. Just shuffled around their depth role players.

Then Gagner should be in the line up, not Kuhlman

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Then Gagner should be in the line up, not Kuhlman
He might get there. Kuhlman has been outstanding on the PK. I don't think the Jets coaching staff particularly like the speed that Stenlund with Gagner together would give you on a 4th line. If Gustafsson gets back into his spot you could see the very same 4th line the Jets started with.

Reactions: Dale53130 and hn777

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He might get there. Kuhlman has been outstanding on the PK. I don't think the Jets coaching staff particularly like the speed that Stenlund with Gagner together would give you on a 4th line. If Gustafsson gets back into his spot you could see the very same 4th line the Jets started with.
Interesting point about the PK. Thanks for keeping PK usage on the radar as most of us tend to gloss by it.

Reactions: voyageur

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Totally agree, i don't get it either. Khulman works hard but that's about it. Axle did too and gave us more team speed.
Only in the land of HFBoards could a player who has been waived twice be the villain for taking a roster spot from a player who has now been waived for the 4th time in his career, and another who only cleared twice, before hitting it big in S.J on his 3rd try. It's like clamouring for Svetchnikov, who was cut by the Wings.

In the end RH depth in the organization is something that suffered after trading Laine and Roslovic in one shot, and being forced to trade Nathan Smith.

I'll stay in the minority, but I didn't like AJF's game. I thought he was too soft. Kuhlman will drive the net harder, battle on the boards harder. He has NHL playoff experience.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I'll stay in the minority, but I didn't like AJF's game. I thought he was too soft. Kuhlman will drive the net harder, battle on the boards harder. He has NHL playoff experience.
Their games are actually very similar - neither are physical, can hit the net, or win a battle.
I see Koolman keeping his spot with this PK - but other than that, I'd take AJ anytime based on his ability to hound puck carriers in either zone and get back up ice when the play turns the other way. Too bad he didn't have a heavier build or he's likely be the guy in the lineup.

What I don't like about Koolman is he has no physical in his game - but he could.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad