Post-Game Talk: Awful effort leads to 5-0 loss

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The Oilers are waiting for Prince Charming to come and save them. We're the titanic heading straight for an iceberg and the whole time we're just going around saying "derp derp derp"

Remarkably similar posts. Are you also drinking vodka and listening to Coltrane?

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
It is concerning how often this team completely doesn't show.

Things like these can snowball.

It really seems quick teams expose Montreals lack of system.

Also, Montreal has ZERO transition. It seems it's strategy to have the forwards at center when the defense is behind the net. The gap is just too big. All you get is icings or passes picked off.

Team likely fatigued but the offense is concerning. It goes from catching lightning in a bottle to being easily neutralized from game to game. Usually it's neutralized and they rely on Price.

This team is too good to be so unstructured.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I can't believe Tinordi and Beaulieu are being sat in favour of Allen/Weaver/Gilbert.

I didn't watch the game so I can't comment on it, but this one pains me, especially considering Bergevin said younger players would be in the lineup this season and it was a transition.

habscup*

Actually it wasn't an awful effort. We had multiple chances in front of the net but couldn't get the shots off, it happens. Rangers were the quicker team tonight, likely due to rest. Judging by the comments here its as if we played like **** like in the calgary game or chicago game. We still were creating chances even with 2 minutes left, Markov Subban, Prust on that shift where we cycled the puck and took some shots for 1 whole minute. It wsn't that bad.

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal
Not pissed because they've lost. They'll have some days off to recover and have a couple of good practices to fix issues. With that being said, I just don't like the fact that the coaching staff didn't ajust their defensive pairing especially on the road. At home, you can protect them with the last change but vs a fast team like the NY Rangers @ MSG, you're going to struggle if they play their game.

Oh yeah, to win on the road, you need proper adjustments. You don't have that last chance, you don't have the crowd behind you (well except in Ottawa, Florida and some games vs Tampa Bay ;)). The Rangers play incredibly well against us in their building. I still remember that game 6 last year vs them when we only had like 2-3 scoring chances.

Anyways, hope they'll enjoy the days off because their body and mind need it :)

Last edited:

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Looked like a dogged tired team looking forward to a nice break to recharge. Canèt say I blame them. Drop this one in the memory hole and come back fresh for another winning streak :handclap:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
3 games in 4 nights and then 4 nights off, who was hitting the crack pipe when they did up the schedule?

Oh well Buffalo B2B this wknd and some practices to sort out all the new ppl - I'm not really a fan of the 11 fwds & 7 D, tough for the players to build any chemistry especially on the back end

Really happy with Sekac's game, probably our most consistent winger game in game out since getting back in the line up - which means he will soon be gifted to the chosen one

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Every single one of our six regulation losses have been one sided tramplings. In 4 of these loses, we've been shutout. It's great that we don't lose often. But, I think the way we lose is pretty telling. To me, it suggests that we have some fairly clear weakness. If teams don't figure it out, or are unable to capitalize on it, we beat them. If they do, we literally cannot even compete.

I think the weakness in question is clearly transition. Think of the teams that we've been beaten by in regulation. Edmonton, Calgary, Tampa, New York, Chicago, Pittsburgh. These are all teams that can skate with us (New York is faster, in fact). Is it just some coincidence that teams with blazing fast forwards give our pee-wee level breakout fits? We are completely disorganized exiting our zone, and it's exposed by any team that we can't outskate. To me, this is a fundamental impediment standing between this team and a Cup.

I think this team has the horses. We have the culture of winning, and accountability. What we don't have, is the x's and o's.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
As has always been the case, this team lives and dies with their goaltending. The goaltending has covered some massive holes that have been apparent ever since MB and MT arrived.

Pricef*

Can the Habs stop slapping the puck by the boards ? Such a moronic system to pass the puck. The Rangers used the middle on the ice to make a quick transition to attack and our D was too slow to catch up.

So easy to stop the Habs transition game, just put a guy near the boards and the Habs will ice the puck or make a turnover. That is why the Habs get blowout when they face a good coach with a decent team.

You're right, look how poorly we played against Detroit, St.Louis, Vancouver etc

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
If Sekac plays well, he'll end up on Desharnais' wing.

I'm happy with our record, but still, does it ever take Therrien a while to see what's right in front of his face sometimes.

First of all Sekac never should have been in the press box that long, behind Bourque and Moen.

Now, it's time to see how he does on the top line. His drive to the net is similar to what Eric Cole brought when that line was successful.

Pricef*

Not telling you they played great tonight, I didn't even watch the game. But sometimes these games happen. If I didn't know the Habs were first in the east I'd think we're in the same situation as fans in Edmonton. Again, not saying everything is perfect and nothing should be changed but anyways. There's quite a bit of truth in the loss aversion theory that states that we care a lot more about losses than we care about gains.

Also, if you want to point out the games against Pitts, Chicago and so on we may just as well simply look at games against the Blues, Boston, Philly, Detroit, etc. In the end, they've played some good ones and some bad ones like any other team in the league.

On a side note, I'm also all for criticizing Therrien, but come on. The guy just can't win at that game. Plekanec loses his man and it's Therrien's fault but when they do some good play, then it's all on the players who play great despite their coach, DD, Gilbert and so on.

This is exactly right.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I'm happy with our record, but still, does it ever take Therrien a while to see what's right in front of his face sometimes.

First of all Sekac never should have been in the press box that long, behind Bourque and Moen.

Now, it's time to see how he does on the top line. His drive to the net is similar to what Eric Cole brought when that line was successful.

There are probably things you aren't privy too, kind've hard to judge someone when you don't have ALL facts in front of you yes ;)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You're right, look how poorly we played against Detroit, St.Louis, Vancouver etc

We lost to Vancouver and waited til the 3rd to play..

First game against Detroit we relied on goaltending.. Second time Howard gifted us a bunch of poor goals.

I missed the St Louis game but from the highlights if Price doesn't make those back to back big saves and we score it could have been different.

We aren't a very good team systematically and if we don't get high quality goaltending this is what happens.

We have only had the lead out of the first period TWO games this season.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
As has always been the case, this team lives and dies with their goaltending. The goaltending has covered some massive holes that have been apparent ever since MB and MT arrived.

Tis true, tis true. The question is, or will be, can you go far in the playoffs with the expectation that your goalie pulls you out of the fire?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad