Post-Game Talk: Awful effort leads to 5-0 loss

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Lots of Allen bashing going on already. Talk about a tough situation to be put into..seventh dman with no regular partner in a new stystem. Leads to a lack of rhythm...I'm not ready to judge him one way or another.

He played pretty well in the first period...not so well in the second, average in the third. Usually make a safe, short first pass, certainly skates better than Murray. Maybe you sit him against teams like the Rangers...but I'd like to see him versus the bigger, tougher teams.

Enough of the 7 dmen....four lines, 6 d.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
TSn page stated Price is injured but he's not on their own website's injury list.

Is he or isn't he?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Habs have a player in Hamilton that will need a look soon. Andrighetto. The kid has serious skills. Hudon is also turning heads but he needs more time. Andrighetto could help offensively.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This one doesn't count. I only accept Price losses. As far as I'm concerned the Rangers haven't beaten us in a long time. :)

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Why would he be injured? He seemed fine after his shutout yesterday.
"Tokarski was in goal that night, too, subbing for the injured Price."

Last line of the page.

But then again, it's a page that published a quote from Henrik where they typed "my happen" instead of "might happen."

So it wouldn't surprise me if what they typed turns out to be false, but it's nevertheless strange to see that they wrote that Price is injured when this is the first time I hear of that.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014

Last line of the page.

But then again, it's a page that published a quote from Henrik where they typed "my happen" instead of "might happen."

So it wouldn't surprise me if what they typed turns out to be false, but it's nevertheless strange to see that they wrote that Price is injured when this is the first time I hear of that.

Yeah, maybe they misinterpreted using Tokarski to give Price a rest as him having an injury, pretty sure Carey was on the bench as backup tonight.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Couldn't watch the game tonight, but man does this board get out of hand quickly when the Habs lay an egg :laugh:
Well,... they've been shut out quite a few times already.

Against the Penguins, Blackhawks, NYR, and Edmonton. And let's not forget the 7-1 fiasco against the Lightning. That's a lot in 23 games. That's over 20% chance that it'll be a blowout. Not good odds.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

Last line of the page.

The post game articles on TSN are always filled with little typos so I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Couldn't watch the game tonight, but man does this board get out of hand quickly when the Habs lay an egg :laugh:

A couple of these bad losses came after a ton of games played in a short amount of time. Tampa game was the 4th game in 6 nights.
The losses against Calgary and Chicago were right when the Habs were completely discombobulated.
The loss against Pitt is concerning but the effort was there. Those games happen.
Tonight was the team's 4th game in 6 nights against a team who had not played in 4 days.
Yes these are all excuses but these guys for the most part have played well. Habs still have a few missing pieces.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Obviously not the leagues best, but we do have a good team with potential to be even better if we didn't have a number of players holding us back.

There's just too many things I don't like. I have zero confidence in the D squad. And for all the offensive support from guys like Weise and Prust this year, even though they have fought, I just don't like the edge they've lost in their game since last year. They are not hitting at all. Prust has lost the anger he's always had. It's like he's so afraid of getting injured that he stays away from the traffic. The guy used to be the heart of this team. Subban is not at all there this year too. There's too many guys that seem to have think they are better than they were cause of last year and have stopped getting their nose dirty. That's what worried me about the wins against the Wings, Blues and Bruins in that they didn't make an effort and they won easily and that may come bite you in the behind at some point.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Well,... they've been shut out quite a few times already.

Against the Penguins, Blackhawks, NYR, and Edmonton. And let's not forget the 7-1 fiasco against the Lightning. That's a lot in 23 games. That's over 20% chance that it'll be a blowout. Not good odds.

Not telling you they played great tonight, I didn't even watch the game. But sometimes these games happen. If I didn't know the Habs were first in the east I'd think we're in the same situation as fans in Edmonton. Again, not saying everything is perfect and nothing should be changed but anyways. There's quite a bit of truth in the loss aversion theory that states that we care a lot more about losses than we care about gains.

Also, if you want to point out the games against Pitts, Chicago and so on we may just as well simply look at games against the Blues, Boston, Philly, Detroit, etc. In the end, they've played some good ones and some bad ones like any other team in the league.

On a side note, I'm also all for criticizing Therrien, but come on. The guy just can't win at that game. Plekanec loses his man and it's Therrien's fault but when they do some good play, then it's all on the players who play great despite their coach, DD, Gilbert and so on.

Last edited:

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
i like ghetto and hudon but are they the answer right now? another undersized top 6 guy? we need another big body in the bottom 6 instead of a dman..is nevins doing anything besides winning fights in hamilton?

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
To be honest Stells I don't care where the coach comes from at all. As long as we get someone competent enough to see how his players are playing and make adjustments.
MT came out saying that players will be rewarded, and nothing will be given to them.

I guess he meant
A)backroom antics featuring MT and a bottle of KY.
B) Follow a nonexistent game plan (or maybe its not a plan and just a "game-play/shift??).

I don't see anyone being rewarded. Actually I take that back, I see DD-Pacio getting rewarded while sucking bag all game long, for example.
Montreal-Tampa, playoffs, Eller/Bourque were absolutely the best forwards, empty net, who's on the ice? DD-Max, and that happened to other players all season long.

MT playing favorites with these two even when there are games, where you question if they are even dressed, while hurt this team.

1)I have a nickname :D:blush:

2)I agree with what your saying. In theory, if he stuck to what he said we wouldn't have the idea of favourites and the internal competition would help us alot. I would be against knee jerk moves based on short memory, but the PP is an example of a small way to reward the players on hotstreaks without hurting us (in fact it would help)

I maintain the opinion that MT is a good but not great coach. I'm fine with him, warts and all, because I've seen he has got consistent results. My issue is that he's a coach who isn't an Xs and Os guy (which is fine) but his staff is doing nothing to make up for it.

We need:
1)A better PP coach
2)A way better D coach

Otherwise we're pretty solid.

And it's unfair to say anglo fans are "racist" against french coaches/players. These fans are against nepotism and sacrificing success for PR.

As one poster said, sports is about winning at all costs.

I'm not on the MT must be fired bandwagon. We have a great record. I can't complain that much (lord knows I try)

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
Not telling you they played great tonight, I didn't even watch the game. But sometimes these games happen. If I didn't know the Habs were first in the east you'd think we're in the same situation as fans in Edmonton. Again, not saying everything is perfect and nothing should be changed but there's quite a bit of truth in the loss aversion theory that we care a lot more about losses than we care about gains.
I'm not typically somebody who focuses solely on the negative, but the fact remains that these aren't 2-1 losses but rather blowouts. I've said it since the beginning of the season that the defense is of concern to me. Gilbert is slow. Slow is Allen. Tinordi was quite slow as well.

In my opinion, Allen should be sent down and another trade would be needed to hopefully bring a competent 2nd-pairing stay-at-home D-man up.

I'm also all for criticizing Therrien, but come on. The guy just can't win at that game. Plekanec loses his man and it's Therrien's fault but when they do some good play, then it's all on the players who play great despite their coach, DD, Gilbert and so on.
I did not criticize him. He took a team that was near the bottom of the standings and has brought them up to near the top on a consistent basis. In fact, I did not even bring him up.

In my opinion, my guess is that the 3rd game in 4 nights really killed any energy they had. Having said that, they did not even play smart. And as I mentioned before, Tokarski just isn't a good goalie. Most of the time, he doesn't even know where the puck is, which is kind of a key requirement to be an NHL goaltender. But I digress...

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I did not criticize him. He took a team that was near the bottom of the standings and has brought them up to near the top on a consistent basis. In fact, I did not even bring him up

I modified my post as the comment on Therrien wasn't directed at you but rather in general as #fireTherrien quickly pops up after every loss.

As you said, context also played a role in tonight's loss, 3 games in 4 nights, 5 in 8, big game against Boston last night. Not saying they shouldn't have played better tonight but it's not all that surprising.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
5 games in 8 nights, tank empty, surprise, surprise.

Sure that makes sense until you see that every loss is a freakin debacle.

Half our wins we've been outplayed.

It's smoke and mirrors. I won't be shocked to see a 6/12/2 coming in the new year. This team has talent that is stagnating.

Great players, peewee strategy.

Nynja*

Why have all those loses been staggering? Because CP is a great goalie who steals wins, and all those 2-1, 3-2 wins would probably have been 4-2 or 5-3 losses without Carey.

Analyzer*

i went to the oilers board for some positivity

The Oilers are waiting for Prince Charming to come and save them. We're the titanic heading straight for an iceberg and the whole time we're just going around saying "derp derp derp"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad