Awesome moment in Vancouver

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Just finished watching the Panthers game and that moment in Vancouver where the fans honored Luongo was great. I'm rooting for Luongo in Florida (And the team basically) but huge respect for the fans for what they did tonight. The last time a hockey moment made me feel giddy was last year when the Blue Jackets fans applauded the effort despite the loss to Pittsburgh in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. We can't ever get enough great moments like that in sports.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Just finished watching the Panthers game and that moment in Vancouver where the fans honored Luongo was great. I'm rooting for Luongo in Florida (And the team basically) but huge respect for the fans for what they did tonight. The last time a hockey moment made me feel giddy was last year when the Blue Jackets fans applauded the effort despite the loss to Pittsburgh in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. We can't ever get enough great moments like that in sports.

Live in Vancouver but a Flames fan. So I have a bit of an outsiders perspective. The fans in Vancouver love to attack goalies. They loved to blame Luongo every time something went wrong. They loved to cheer on the flavour of the month (Lack, Schneider) and declare him Luongo's replacement every chance they had.

That being said, most people liked Luongo as a person. Once you get past the hair, he actually seems like a good guy.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It's funny because he was Luu'd all game and in the PGT on the Canucks site people are blowing they're top because the fans cheered for him lol. They are genuinely mad!

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Luongo is probably my favorite personality in hockey.

Love seeing him succeed and get love (unless he's playing the Blackhawks...but even I winced a bit during some of the blowouts).

Florida is probably my favorite Eastern Conference team. Hope they make the playoffs and surprise some people. Also, I would give one of my fingers for Bjugstad on the Hawks.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Luongo is probably my favorite personality in hockey.

Love seeing him succeed and get love (unless he's playing the Blackhawks...but even I winced a bit during some of the blowouts).

Florida is probably my favorite Eastern Conference team. Hope they make the playoffs and surprise some people. Also, I would give one of my fingers for Bjugstad on the Hawks.

Isn't it against the Blackhawks in Chicago where Luongo kinda just laid an egg that entire series in the playoffs a few years back? That's reason enough for blackhawk fans to love him. ;)

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Isn't it against the Blackhawks in Chicago where Luongo kinda just laid an egg that entire series in the playoffs a few years back? That's reason enough for blackhawk fans to love him. ;)

Honestly, only one game in 2009 was really all on Luongo.

The other years, it was a matter of the Canucks team as a whole either failing to measure up (2010), or failing to show up for a few games (2011).

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
It's funny because he was Luu'd all game and in the PGT on the Canucks site people are blowing they're top because the fans cheered for him lol. They are genuinely mad!

It's pretty stupid to cheer for the other goalie every time he makes a save. In essence, you're cheering against your team.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
Even with the Canucks down 3-1 the fans were Luuing every time he made a save. Came out when he was named 1st star and got a huge ovation as well.

I thought that they would stop after the video tribute.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Even with the Canucks down 3-1 the fans were Luuing every time he made a save. Came out when he was named 1st star and got a huge ovation as well.

I thought that they would stop after the video tribute.

The ovation at the end was even better. The kid who received his stick looked like he was gonna pass out. Great night for Lu. Very classy performance from the Vancouver crowd.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
It's pretty stupid to cheer for the other goalie every time he makes a save. In essence, you're cheering against your team.

Why? I cheer for certain players even when they score on the Canucks. The home team is not the be all and end all of the sport. This is the first time Luongo has come back to the team that he almost carried to a Stanley Cup. Hard not to cheer for him every time he touches the puck (speaking as someone who was at the game Luu'ing for most saves).

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
At the end of the day, he's really one of the greatest players the Canucks ever had.

Easily. Someone in one of the threads said he was probably be the best goalie the Canucks will ever have, and that could easily be true.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
He's arguably their best player in franchise history. He deserved the recognition tonight.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Easily. Someone in one of the threads said he was probably be the best goalie the Canucks will ever have, and that could easily be true.

I've said that many times myself...

Goalies that may finish top 3-5 all time in wins don't come along on the regular... He will definitely be the best we see for at least a generation... I would guess probably two or three based on probability.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
He's arguably their best player in franchise history. He deserved the recognition tonight.

Agreed.

People will be loathe to admit it till well after he's retired, but it's the truth.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

Was at game, luo is forever the top cutie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad