Awesome moment in Vancouver

Son of Frostback

Nov 20, 2014
Yeah. I still love Luongo and I was really glad about the tribute and the ovation, but cheering every time he made a save? That's just ignorance. No wonder the Canucks fanbase is so disliked, since so many of them are apparently very unintelligent.
The goalie who rescued this franchise from goaltending hell (Cloutier? Auld? Washed-up Felix the Cat? Washed-up whoever else?) and made us competitive for years and did everything in his power to bring us a Cup, despite being routinely lambasted by our terrible sports media and fairweather fanbase, returns to town for the first time, and fans who actually remember what he meant to this team 'Luuu' him when he makes a save, and they're 'ignorant' and 'unintelligent'? :help:

Are you one of those yuppies with front row season tickets at Rogers who shushes people when they cheer?

jdatb

Apr 29, 2014
The goalie who rescued this franchise from goaltending hell (Cloutier? Auld? Washed-up Felix the Cat? Washed-up whoever else?) and made us competitive for years and did everything in his power to bring us a Cup, despite being routinely lambasted by our terrible sports media and fairweather fanbase, returns to town for the first time, and fans who actually remember what he meant to this team 'Luuu' him when he makes a save, and they're 'ignorant' and 'unintelligent'? :help:

Are you one of those yuppies with front row season tickets at Rogers who shushes people when they cheer?

Chill bro, don't take it personally. :) I cheered him on heartily at first. But eventually, you have to realize that he's now playing for a different team and ultimately your team comes first. Even in the third period people were cheering for him when he made routine saves. But I do agree that he was the best goalie in franchise history.

And no, I can't afford that :laugh:

Son of Frostback

Nov 20, 2014
It's a one-off, though. He'll never have another 'first game back in town'. Added to which, Vancouver was the only NHL team he had not yet beaten, and now he has. I'm not too concerned about the appropriate amount of applause for the other team's guy during a regular season interconference game.

The boos were deserved too. How you half-heartedly cycle from the perimeter on a 5-on-3 is beyond me.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Didn't he have like 3 shut-outs in the finals?

The Canucks were injured and could barely score, and the PP they relied on to be their enforcer was rendered impotent. That's why they lost.

As far as Schneider, what did he achieve in the playoffs that Luongo hadn't? Has he won a playoff round? A playoff game, even?

Younger and cheaper, yes. But it's not Luongo's fault you had a terrible GM that put a massive long-term contract in front of Luongo to save a few mill on the cap hit. Would you turn down that money?

This, but no canucks fans will admit it. Corey Schnieders biggest win in his career is arguably a regulation win in Boston, I think he also won a game vs LA in the playoffs.

Luongo was awful in game 6 of the finals, but people forget how good he was vs SJ that playoff run etc.

A big problem with luo in my opinion was his style, when he got scored on he looked like he was out to lunch. But that style also helped him make tough saves look easy. Contrast with schnieder who has a great looking butterfly, when he gets scored on he looks like he was in position. There was a double standard without a doubt.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I still believe when the time for him to retire comes – which could still be a long ways off – he will be in the hall of fame and he will want to go in as a Panther. He will easily play 5 more seasons there. That's his home and it kinda felt like it was always his home, even when he played for the Canucks. I think he genuinely enjoyed his 8 years in Vancouver for the most part but it was never home, it was where his office was in a sense.

If he goes into the hall as a Canuck, then he will join Bure and company in the rafters, if he goes in as a Panther, he'll be in the ring of honour.

My money is that he goes in a Panther.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
I still believe when the time for him to retire comes – which could still be a long ways off – he will be in the hall of fame and he will want to go in as a Panther. He will easily play 5 more seasons there. That's his home and it kinda felt like it was always his home, even when he played for the Canucks. I think he genuinely enjoyed his 8 years in Vancouver for the most part but it was never home, it was where his office was in a sense.

If he goes into the hall as a Canuck, then he will join Bure and company in the rafters, if he goes in as a Panther, he'll be in the ring of honour.

My money is that he goes in a Panther.

Im not sold on him making the hall of fame, and im about as big of a luongo fan there is.... I just have a really really high standard on what kind of player should be inducted.

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Im not sold on him making the hall of fame, and im about as big of a luongo fan there is.... I just have a really really high standard on what kind of player should be inducted.

He only needs 95 wins to be third all time. He only needs 200 or so starts to get that, which he will. Do you honestly believe he wont get inducted in the HHOF as the 3rd most winning goalie all time?

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
This is likely because Trevor Linden, one of the franchise greats, is essentially running the show now. I do not think that this would have happened under a Mike Gillis-run organization.

neksys

Jun 24, 2009

I think he meets the standard.

There are some statistical benchmarks that are so rare that you almost have to induct a guy.

If/when Luongo retires with 1000+ games played and 500+ wins, he gets in. That is something so rare that only two other goalies in the history of the NHL have done it - Brodeur and Roy.

Son of Frostback

Nov 20, 2014

There are some statistical benchmarks that are so rare that you almost have to induct a guy.

If/when Luongo retires with 1000+ games played and 500+ wins, he gets in. That is something so rare that only two other goalies in the history of the NHL have done it - Brodeur and Roy.
This is HFBoards. There should only be 8 players in the hall, maybe 9.

useless

Feb 2, 2011
It's a complete joke, Vancouver fans have talked nothing but trash about him over the past few years. I live in vancouver and heard it everyday.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
It's not about talent wise. If that was the case, Vancouver fans would praise Mark Messier. It's about guys who made an lasting impression and that is something Luongo failed to do here in Vancouver. Yes, he's still respected and casual fans and new fans from 2000 and up will remember him as one of the greatest because they don't know better. Add the statistics and, sure he is arguably the greatest goaltender in the history but he isn't close to being the best player. Even as a goalie, I'm sure many would argue that Kirk Maclean was better.

Wait what? What did Naslund do to be considered better than Luongo in any context?

Son of Frostback

Nov 20, 2014
It's a complete joke, Vancouver fans have talked nothing but trash about him over the past few years. I live in vancouver and heard it everyday.
The Canucks' fanbase is quite large. Everyone's repeated attempts to paint it as monolithic are pretty tiresome, to be honest.

topched88

Jan 21, 2007

Definatly fair points and I dont disagree. Its totally my perception of what the hall of fame should be vs what it is in reality more so I think. My perception on what constitutes someone as an HOF'er is probably unrealistic.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Just finished watching the Panthers game and that moment in Vancouver where the fans honored Luongo was great. I'm rooting for Luongo in Florida (And the team basically) but huge respect for the fans for what they did tonight. The last time a hockey moment made me feel giddy was last year when the Blue Jackets fans applauded the effort despite the loss to Pittsburgh in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. We can't ever get enough great moments like that in sports.

Luongo is a respected guy--he is a stand up person and like I said in the other long thread--Gillis jerked the guy around

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad