Awesome moment in Vancouver

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
It was a wild ride. Whether you cheered for him, hated him or laughed at him he helped bring some good entertainment to hockey fans during his time in Vancouver.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
I would take Luongo over Naslund and talent-wise over Linden, although Linden's allure goes beyond the ice.

Bure and maybe the Sedins are clearly above him as players IMO. That's about it.

It's not about talent wise. If that was the case, Vancouver fans would praise Mark Messier. It's about guys who made an lasting impression and that is something Luongo failed to do here in Vancouver. Yes, he's still respected and casual fans and new fans from 2000 and up will remember him as one of the greatest because they don't know better. Add the statistics and, sure he is arguably the greatest goaltender in the history but he isn't close to being the best player. Even as a goalie, I'm sure many would argue that Kirk Maclean was better.

Last edited:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Considering the canucks decided to poop the bed tonight the fans in the building needed something to cheer about.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Live in Vancouver but a Flames fan. So I have a bit of an outsiders perspective. The fans in Vancouver love to attack goalies. They loved to blame Luongo every time something went wrong. They loved to cheer on the flavour of the month (Lack, Schneider) and declare him Luongo's replacement every chance they had.

That being said, most people liked Luongo as a person. Once you get past the hair, he actually seems like a good guy.

No, Luongo was blamed for imploding in the playoffs because he imploded in the playoffs. Schneider was liked because he didn't implode in the finals and he was playing better. Oh, and younger and cheaper for the more rational fans.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
They didn't poop the bed, it's just the Panthers aren't that mediocre team most in the West think we are.

Uhhh no. Vancouver was horrible tonight. Zero effort. Miller was really the only guy who showed up to play.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
No, Luongo was blamed for imploding in the playoffs because he imploded in the playoffs. Schneider was liked because he didn't implode in the finals and he was playing better. Oh, and younger and cheaper for the more rational fans.

Didn't he have like 3 shut-outs in the finals?

The Canucks were injured and could barely score, and the PP they relied on to be their enforcer was rendered impotent. That's why they lost.

As far as Schneider, what did he achieve in the playoffs that Luongo hadn't? Has he won a playoff round? A playoff game, even?

Younger and cheaper, yes. But it's not Luongo's fault you had a terrible GM that put a massive long-term contract in front of Luongo to save a few mill on the cap hit. Would you turn down that money?

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
Didn't he have like 3 shut-outs in the finals?

The Canucks were injured and could barely score, and the PP they relied on to be their enforcer was rendered impotent. That's why they lost.

As far as Schneider, what did he achieve in the playoffs that Luongo hadn't? Has he won a playoff round? A playoff game, even?

Younger and cheaper, yes. But it's not Luongo's fault you had a terrible GM that put a massive long-term contract in front of Luongo to save a few mill on the cap hit. Would you turn down that money?

Pretty much. The finals were impacted in a negative way by the injuries to Hamhuis, Kesler, Sameulsson etc etc than they were by Luongo. He pitched 3 shutouts, but the team just ran out of gas after Hamhuis went down.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks fans distracted by the guy that bailed on them because he had hurt feelings. No one notices the team dying in front of them. This is fairly typical.

CrazyCanucks

Jun 8, 2005
Canucks fans distracted by the guy that bailed on them because he had hurt feelings. No one notices the team dying in front of them. This is fairly typical.

How about the GM that failed to do his job? He basically took the core that Burke and Nonis did and reaqlly did nothing to add to it. Look at his trade/draft record

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
Just finished watching the Panthers game and that moment in Vancouver where the fans honored Luongo was great. I'm rooting for Luongo in Florida (And the team basically) but huge respect for the fans for what they did tonight. The last time a hockey moment made me feel giddy was last year when the Blue Jackets fans applauded the effort despite the loss to Pittsburgh in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. We can't ever get enough great moments like that in sports.
Great moment in hockey. Canucks fans are first class.
Luongo deserves the praise and respect. Top five goalie in the NHL and is a great person, mentor, and husband. He even won the game tonight in front of those appreciative fans.

spg2000

Mar 2, 2013
Luongo is probably my favorite personality in hockey.

Love seeing him succeed and get love (unless he's playing the Blackhawks...but even I winced a bit during some of the blowouts).

Florida is probably my favorite Eastern Conference team. Hope they make the playoffs and surprise some people. Also, I would give one of my fingers for Bjugstad on the Hawks.

During the Cup final in 2011 I really disliked Luongo and loved getting on him for getting pulled multiple times in the finals, his "pumping tires" comments, etc. but after following him closely since then he's absolutely one of my favorite players in the game. He's legitimately a hilarious and interesting person, seems very genuine. Also a Hell of a goalie.

Last edited:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Gillis botched that entire situation hardcore. Luongo named captain, Luongo signed to a 12 year deal I believe it was, Schneider traded because Gillis refused to retain salary on Luongo, and then Luongo traded anyways because Gillis agreed to retain salary eventually anyways.

Luongo handled it very well, I've really liked some of his TSN appearances as well as tweets over the years. You could tell he really loved being in Vancouver overall, even if it soured towards the end. I think Florida is a great fit for him, and hope to see him do well.

jdatb

Apr 29, 2014
It's pretty stupid to cheer for the other goalie every time he makes a save. In essence, you're cheering against your team.

Yeah. I still love Luongo and I was really glad about the tribute and the ovation, but cheering every time he made a save? That's just ignorance. No wonder the Canucks fanbase is so disliked, since so many of them are apparently very unintelligent.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
How about the GM that failed to do his job? He basically took the core that Burke and Nonis did and reaqlly did nothing to add to it. Look at his trade/draft record

:shakehead

Gillis botched that entire situation hardcore. Luongo named captain, Luongo signed to a 12 year deal I believe it was, Schneider traded because Gillis refused to retain salary on Luongo, and then Luongo traded anyways because Gillis agreed to retain salary eventually anyways.

Luongo handled it very well, I've really liked some of his TSN appearances as well as tweets over the years. You could tell he really loved being in Vancouver overall, even if it soured towards the end. I think Florida is a great fit for him, and hope to see him do well.

This isnt even close to the full story and its annoying other team fans post **** like this

He took a lot of abuse from fans and media. I never understood it. He's a great player.

No different than other major markets, not like Toronto isnt known for harassing goalies and their wives on twitter

Thanks for 6 great years and two awkward ones Bobby Lu, we miss ya

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
They didn't poop the bed, it's just the Panthers aren't that mediocre team most in the West think we are.

Agree somewhat. Canucks had no energy whatsoever. It was one of their poorer efforts on the season. I think all of the Lu fanfare leading up to the game did them in.

Was great to see Lu perform well in Vancouver and the fans responded well.

Outsiders love to talk about how the Canucks fans hated Luongo and turned on him blah blah blah, he said himself he was treated like a hero by the fans in person from day one. This is an example of why you shouldn't judge a fanbase based on the people posting on the internet. This is a very fanatical minority. The average Canuck fan loved Luongo and was sad to see him go.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Cant stand the Canucks...but they sure are one of the classiest organizations in the NHL, if not NA sports in general.

Despite the fall out there..Luo was probably your best players for the better part of 6-7 years...they did it right. And Luo's gratitude to it all looked genuine too.

Bure was the best player in their franchise history, Luo is a close 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->