News Article: Avs Won't Repeat Stastny Mistake - I.E. Why Terry Frei is the Avs Best Sports Writer.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Given that the Avs didn't make it past the 1st round with Stastny (who played a big part in their wins) it would have looked awful if they traded him for a 2nd and a prospect at the end of a Cinderella season, and then fizzled out soon after. It would have looked like that was the direct result of trading such a valuable player.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Given that the Avs didn't make it past the 1st round with Stastny (who played a big part in their wins) it would have looked awful if they traded him for a 2nd and a prospect at the end of a Cinderella season, and then fizzled out soon after. It would have looked like that was the direct result of trading such a valuable player.

Obviously there's no way to know for sure but why is everyone just capping the return at what Vanek got?

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
He's saying Stastny was disingenuous with him? Because a guy that covered the Avaalanche a handful of times this year is the authority on what one of their players trurly wanted to do, and how much the Avs offered him vs other teams.

He took a paycut to join the Blues at $7M, and the Avs never got to $6M. I was never even that big a Stastny fan, but I'm finding this smear campaign pretty annoying.

The Avs thought it better to move in a different direction with Duchene/MacKinnon as their go to guys unless Stastny came cheap, and Stastny felt compelled not to turn down $4M plus.

I don't know why there's all this dramatic crap. Both sides POV is completely understandable, and nobody was disingenuous. Not sure why Terry feels the need to spout off his opinion after not following the team all year.

I rubbed my eyes and read the bolded part 3 times. :laugh:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Obviously there's no way to know for sure but why is everyone just capping the return at what Vanek got?

I doubt he would have got any more than that. It's much easier to fit a winger into your lineup than a center. There's twice as many spots for a winger than a guy like Stastny on the top two lines.

So most likely there were less teams interested in Stastny because of that reason. So even less of a market for him than the already dismal market for Vanek and Moulson. Maybe if the Avs would have packaged McLeod with Stastny like Buffalo did with Moulson and McCormick they could have squeezed an extra 2nd out, but that wouldn't make much sense either.

I don't know why anyone would expect the team to be sellers after making the playoffs for the first time in a long time, being at the top of the standings, and trying to re-energize it's fanbase all year. Especially when the returns clearly weren't very good.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

Because Kesler was being shopped and he wasn't traded which meant that most teams were waiting for his decision. Which means that the only way the Avs would have been able to convince a team to take Stastny would have been to have a low price.

BB1133

Apr 4, 2010

A few things make this an unfair comparison..

1) Garth Snow handled the whole Vanek situation terribly.

2) Vanek's trade value went down post-Olympics.

3) there were other options available at wing.

I have no doubt that a two-way center would have gotten more interest and a better return.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

I have no doubt that a two-way center would have gotten more interest and a better return.

If a two-way center would have gotten a better return then Kesler would have been traded at the deadline rather then at the draft.

BB1133

Apr 4, 2010
If a two-way center would have gotten a better return then Kesler would have been traded at the deadline rather then at the draft.

They probably could have gotten more. The Canucks had more options at the deadline than at the draft, but Gillis was asking for the moon.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Briere had negative value (4M cap hit and he wasn't going to make the club) AND we had to give PAP + a draft pick to get him. That says it all about PAP's value. It was heavily in the negative which is why Roy was unable to dump him last season or at the draft.

PAP had heavily negative trade value? No I dont think he did. And I dont think the Briere trade is proof of that. Roy hasn't exactly been so good in terms of getting proper value back in trade. He doesnt seem to care about it. Get rid off the guy he wants rid off and get someone he likes back. If Downie had much more value than Talbot at the time, he doesnt seem to care so much about. And same goes for this one.

And even so, I cant imagine Islanders not being willing to take PAP back at 2 years at 4.0M when they were desperate to add point producers. And like I have stated previously. It would have been better to trade him for a 7th than take Briere back in a trade.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Seriously, at the deadline who are the Avs going to trade Stastny to?

The Sellers wouldn't want him because he was in a walk year and clearly done with rebuilding teams, so forget that.

You can't trade him inside the conference. You could potentially strengthen a playoff opponent and hurt your playoff position.

Trade him to the East and there's a possibility you could see him in the finals.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
PAP had heavily negative trade value? No I dont think he did. And I dont think the Briere trade is proof of that. Roy hasn't exactly been so good in terms of getting proper value back in trade. He doesnt seem to care about it. Get rid off the guy he wants rid off and get someone he likes back. If Downie had much more value than Talbot at the time, he doesnt seem to care so much about. And same goes for this one.

And even so, I cant imagine Islanders not being willing to take PAP back at 2 years at 4.0M when they were desperate to add point producers. And like I have stated previously. It would have been better to trade him for a 7th than take Briere back in a trade.

But Briere @ 4m will help the bottom 6, much more than a Winnik, McClement, Santorelli, McGinn, or even a Jokinen.

I agree with you 100% actually

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
But Briere @ 4m will help the bottom 6, much more than a Winnik, McClement, Santorelli, McGinn, or even a Jokinen.

I agree with you 100% actually

I think Briere is hard to fit in. I dont trust him at C at this point in his career. But yet all Habs-fan say he sucked on the wing and especially on the PP.

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario

People forget the avs iced hishon in the playoffs. A raw rookie with no big league experience because the team had no depth up front. Trading stastny would've signalled this team not giving two craps about winning in the playoffs.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Only (realistic) player I would have traded Stostny for is Kezler at the deadline, but I understand why Avs did not do it.

- Would have required more assets than just Staz.
- Avs have very little depth in the organization.
- Paul wanted to stay as an Avs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad