News Article: Avs Won't Repeat Stastny Mistake - I.E. Why Terry Frei is the Avs Best Sports Writer.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I read it as Frei kissing the Avs behinds attempting to protect the front office from further criticism by upset fans.

He's clearly pandering Sakic and Roy here.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Face it guys Casper became a luxury we can no longer afford. We 'traded' him for 3 playoff wins and a division title essentially. Im not gonna blame Joe and Patrick for this one. The writing was clearly on the wall. This article is utter trash imo

I'm sooo blaming Sakic and Roy on this one. You simply cannot afford to let a player of Stastny's caliber to walk away via UFA and get nothing in return. If you couldn't sign him before the trade deadline, then you must trade for a 1st/player/prospect.

You don't keep him for just 3 playoffs wins and a division title, that's terrible asset management. Especially when the Avs weren't really cup contenders to begin with (no homer in the world thought they could realistically win the cup this year).

Who knows what that 1st/player/prospect could have done (maybe sent him to Anaheim, Avs could of used the pick to maybe get Neal, Ducks wouldn't have went after Kesler, etc.)

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I'm sooo blaming Sakic and Roy on this one. You simply cannot afford to let a player of Stastny's caliber to walk away via UFA and get nothing in return. If you couldn't sign him before the trade deadline, then you must trade for a 1st/player/prospect.

You don't keep him for just 3 playoffs wins and a division title, that's terrible asset management. Especially when the Avs weren't really cup contenders to begin with (no homer in the world thought they could realistically win the cup this year).

Who knows what that 1st/player/prospect could have done (maybe sent him to Anaheim, Avs could of used the pick to maybe get Neal, Ducks wouldn't have went after Kesler, etc.)

Name a GM in the real NHL that would have done that deal? a 1st for a UFA you can probably get for free?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Stastny probably didn't want to go through the hassle of moving cities for a few months, so of course he's going to say the right things not to be traded at trade deadline and then he'll be free to go wherever he wants in the summer.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If you couldn't sign him before the trade deadline, then you must trade for a 1st/player/prospect.

I wish people would understand that they couldn't trade him at the deadline. Ask yourself what kind of message it would have sent to the fans and players that are heading to the playoffs. "We are sending Stastny to Montreal for a 2nd round pick because they have a chance at the cup and we don't". Ridiculous.

Division champs don't ship out their best players for picks before entering the playoffs.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Name a GM in the real NHL that would have done that deal? a 1st for a UFA you can probably get for free?

I meant trading Stastny at the trade deadline for a 1st/player/prospect, much like what Jagr and Iginla fetched at last year's trade deadline.

A late first, a roster player and a B prospect for Stastny at the deadline is better than 3 play-off wins.

I wish people would understand that they couldn't trade him at the deadline. Ask yourself what kind of message it would have sent to the fans and players that are heading to the playoffs. "We are sending Stastny to Montreal for a 2nd round pick because they have a chance at the cup and we don't". Ridiculous.

Division champs don't ship out their best players for picks before entering the playoffs.

Yes they could have, and they should have traded him. You have to leave the emotions out and think long term. It's not ridiculous by any stretch.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
I meant trading Stastny at the trade deadline for a 1st/player/prospect, much like what Jagr and Iginla fetched at last year's trade deadline.

A late first, a roster player and a B prospect for Stastny at the deadline is better than 3 play-off wins.

Yes they could have, and they should have traded him. You have to leave the emotions out and think long term. It's not ridiculous by any stretch.

They wouldn't have gotten anything close to that though. A 2nd, a b/c prospect, and a low 2nd/3rd line player. Yep, totally worth it... :shakehead

Asset management is possibly the most overrated term on this site. Almost as bad as puck poise.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Obviously you guys don't know business affairs.

Whatever you get for Stastny at the trade deadline > 3 play-off wins and a division title.

I don't even think they were leading the division at the time of the trade deadline, might have even still been in 3rd.

Anyways, I'm done with this topic. They should have traded him, period.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Whatever you get for Stastny at the trade deadline > 3 play-off wins and a division title.

The way you talk is like they knew that they'd would only get 3 playoff wins.

Not a single GM does apparently. Name one highly ranked team that ever traded an important player for picks before entering the playoffs.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008

I don't even think they were leading the division at the time of the trade deadline, might have even still been in 3rd.

Anyways, I'm done with this topic. They should have traded him, period.

Anything can happen once you're in the playoffs. Where were LA and NYR at in the standing during the trade deadline.

Stastny is replaceable. The Avs knew they could use that money to find a good replacement in the off-season. The only real knock is that the Avs didn't trade Stastny's rights at the draft.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I hated the idea of trading Stastny at the deadline before the deadline. I still hate the idea of it now. Vanek, Moulson, Gaborik, etc. Look at those trades. Look at what they went for. Awful packages that are not going to help out any of those teams. We heard about how Kesler held up a lot of trades at the deadline. If teams were waiting for Kesler/GM to make a decision then we might not have been able to trade him or we would have had to significantly lower the price on him. 3rd and a C level prospect tickle your fancy?

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The only real knock is that the Avs didn't trade Stastny's rights at the draft.

1) They were probably worthless
2) At this point, even if the chances were low, they were better to wait for the offers and see if they could come close enough

Stastny needed to be traded one year ago.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
1) They were probably worthless
2) At this point, even if the chances were low, they were better to wait for the offers and see if they could come close enough

Stastny needed to be traded one year ago.

One year ago he was probably more worthless. He was due big money and had several consecutive years of underachieving.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Anything can happen once you're in the playoffs. Where were LA and NYR at in the standing during the trade deadline.

Stastny is replaceable. The Avs knew they could use that money to find a good replacement in the off-season. The only real knock is that the Avs didn't trade Stastny's rights at the draft.

I bet by the draft every team in the league knew where Stastny would end up.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Colorado probably should have traded him last off-season, but his value was at an all-time low (9 goals, 24 points in 40 games).

I don't think they should have traded him at the deadline because he would have brought in next to nothing.

And I definitely don't think this was a situation where Colorado was burned. At the end of the day he wasn't a first line player on this club - he will be with the Blues.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah I don't get the "second round pick > the experience of winning the division and playoff games". It's an assumption that those things would have happened anyway or come around all the time much like it's an assumption a pick is going to do anything for the franchise.

The Avs are trying to build a culture too. It matters to have a reputation that treats players with respect. Teams that sign players to 6 year deals and dump them a year or two into a contract get a reputation or ones that are constantly buying out, trading their players for scraps at the deadline. Those things matter too. Why don't those teams who ignore the cap and put themselves in a bind get more criticism. No, they are smart because they dump people for assets. Instead the organization that is trying to build something genuine are idiots. It's not even about the pick or the deal, it's about being right that Stastny went for nothing.

Cooperman

Aug 25, 2007
Quebec City

Like i said in a previous post in June, there was no market to trade a player's rights (UFA) at the draft because you could talk to any UFA starting on June 25th.

The idea of trading a player's rights had to be made well before June 27 and June 28.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Stastny would probably have returned more than Andy MacDonald (average prospect, 2nd, 3rd) and Moulson (two 2nds).

Vanek got a disappointing return because Snow asked for too much and waited too long.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I ve given up on what HF thinks a player can return, I mean look at Kesler. That was laughably waaay off what actually transpired.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I ve given up on what HF thinks a player can return, I mean look at Kesler. That was laughably waaay off what actually transpired.

People seem to forget which players who really takes advantage of their NTC's and minimize their value though.

I can't imagine us getting less for Stastny+PAP at the deadline than what Buffalo got for Miller+Ott. (If we really wanted rid off PAP so much)

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
I'll take the lifelong memory of Stazz and MacK carrying the team to an epic 7 game series over the C rate prospect, a second rounder and utter disappointment w'd have gotten for him at the deadline. As for Stastny leaving, this was a foregone conclusion long before Sakic etc. came to the team.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
People seem to forget which players who really takes advantage of their NTC's and minimize their value though.

I can't imagine us getting less for Stastny+PAP at the deadline than what Buffalo got for Miller+Ott. (If we really wanted rid off PAP so much)

really? Miller was still seen as a premier starter, which had more value than Stats..imo.. plus you have to think STL is win now so they are more desperate and willing to pay more, which they did. and did again with Paul. Im pretty convinced they would have overpayed even if we matched their offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad