Post-Game Talk: Avs win. We await an apology from McPuritania.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Earlier in the game Yak forced 2 plays on the pp that resulted in turnovers way worse then the Eberle turnover.

All of them turned the puck over last night, to single out any one of them is a agenda

Not saying you have a agenda

Missed this. Yeah, the only agenda I had is the knowledge I had that I would come onto this board and there'd be a ton of posts castigating Yak on that one play. Which I will counter. Yak played a solid game in the 2nd and 3rd periods I saw. One of the harder working forwards out there for the Oiler.

Nice for Nuge to get a goal with 6secs left:sarcasm: hardly noticed him doing anything prior.

McDeathbyCheerios*

No wait, Beerfish provided some specious numbers selected arbitrarily that hilite When Eberle has produced the best this season and a rate of production that doesn't befit either his career rate of production or who he happens to be playing with.

The question that should be asked is whether a lacklustre 42pts from 6M Jordan Eberle is enough considering the team gifts him all the primo minutes and linemates they can give him. Several of the latest goals are results of others, McDavid, driving the play. What is Eberle creating currently. As another poster mentioned what has become of his passing ability?

Eberle, like most players on this club has regressed. Where is the player that goes through an entire Flames team and tucks a hilite reel goal in the net on HNIC. What happens to that nature of display with players on this team? Now we're reduced to Eberle requiring letter perfect feeds to score. Whens the last time Eberle has created a goal. Actually beat a couple people and scored. Anybody care to cue that one up?
It's confidence. When guys like Eberle are confident they are beauties. The org had beaten out any creativity and confidence from them.

Hoping next year with hopefully a better d core will help the forwards realize they are ****ing good at hockey and should just stary playing like it again.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Missed this. Yeah, the only agenda I had is the knowledge I had that I would come onto this board and there'd be a ton of posts castigating Yak on that one play. Which I will counter. Yak played a solid game in the 2nd and 3rd periods I saw. One of the harder working forwards out there for the Oiler.

Nice for Nuge to get a goal with 6secs left:sarcasm: hardly noticed him doing anything prior.
I'm loving the effort from Yak lately, i just wish it would lead to something. He seems like a ticking time bomb ready to explode with ability once he gets some confidence i just hope this bomb doesn't turn out to be a dud.

He is getting a chance playing with RNH now, just hope they produce a bit.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

That play was both on Eberle and Yak. Yak cant turn his back to the play! You learn that in novice hockey. Eberle bad read and forced the puck.

I will disagree with Yak in the 2nd and 3rd. Looked lost out there for me and did nothing once again.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It's confidence. When guys like Eberle are confident they are beauties. The org had beaten out any creativity and confidence from them.

Hoping next year with hopefully a better d core will help the forwards realize they are ****ing good at hockey and should just stary playing like it again.

But even in the sample Beerfish provided that is the new Eberle "hot" standard now?

I mean look he has great hands around the net and the best finisher this club has but seriously a lot of the McDavid feed goals have been brilliant plays by McDavid and with several of them McDavid creating the pick and the whole play with Eberle tapping into an empty net.

How many Eberle goals these days are featuring that former silky smooth player that would dart across a slot freezing every D and the goalie before tucking a great shot in. We're hardly ever seeing that player anymore.

Why do I mention it? Eberle used to be a game changer on his own. Used to be one of those dynamic players that could make a play that caused both benches to have a reaction and that would alter the outcome of games. Theres less and less of that. Fire up Eberles PPG sophomore season and compare it to now.

McDeathbyCheerios*

But even in the sample Beerfish provided that is the new Eberle "hot" standard now?

I mean look he has great hands around the net and the best finisher this club has but seriously a lot of the McDavid feed goals have been brilliant plays by McDavid and with several of them McDavid creating the pick and the whole play with Eberle tapping into an empty net.

How many Eberle goals these days are featuring that former silky smooth player that would dart across a slot freezing every D and the goalie before tucking a great shot in. We're hardly ever seeing that player anymore.

Why do I mention it? Eberle used to be a game changer on his own. Used to be one of those dynamic players that could make a play that caused both benches to have a reaction and that would alter the outcome of games. Theres less and less of that. Fire up Eberles PPG sophomore season and compare it to now.
I agree entirely with you. And i still think it's a confidence thing. Eberle was able to do all those things and score beautiful goals and yet we were still constantly losing. Over time Eberle has learned that no matter how beautiful goals he scores, they are still going to lose cause they will allow more than theu can score.

He has zero confidence that the goals he scores even matter. I didn't know if that's fixable but it's a huge problem with our core.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm loving the effort from Yak lately, i just wish it would lead to something. He seems like a ticking time bomb ready to explode with ability once he gets some confidence i just hope this bomb doesn't turn out to be a dud.

I'll be clear here. The best chance Yak has is playing outside the nucleus of players on this team that felt he was the problem as recently as a year ago in the Eakins scapegoating universe. Eberle did better with Roy last year, because Roy just came in here and didn't buy into the negativity and actually gave the kid the puck. With results that were obvious.

This year Yak worked well with McDavid initially getting 10pts in 10gp. Yak similarly would work well with Draisaitl which was tried very briefly last night.

But predictably Yak, instead of getting either Drai or McDavid gets Nuge, one of the 3 core players on this team that have had seemed indifference about him even being on the team.

I've come to the conclusion this org is intent on distancing itself from Yak. Rather than it being viewed that this is yet another player the org screwed up in development the org is working to demonstrate that Yak himself is the total problem. The Stauffer comments and such and leaked comment a few days ago continuing to feed the impression that Yak is an attitude problem that doesn't try hard in practice or something.

org has been carving this player for years. At somepoint they made the decision to bury this kid and try to make it look as much as possible that the kid ruined himself.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I'll be clear here. The best chance Yak has is playing outside the nucleus of players on this team that felt he was the problem as recently as a year ago in the Eakins scapegoating universe. Eberle did better with Roy last year, because Roy just came in here and didn't buy into the negativity and actually gave the kid the puck. With results that were obvious.

This year Yak worked well with McDavid initially getting 10pts in 10gp. Yak similarly would work well with Draisaitl which was tried very briefly last night.

But predictably Yak, instead of getting either Drai or McDavid gets Nuge, one of the 3 core players on this team that have had seemed indifference about him even being on the team.

I've come to the conclusion this org is intent on distancing itself from Yak. Rather than it being viewed that this is yet another player the org screwed up in development the org is working to demonstrate that Yak himself is the total problem. The Stauffer comments and such and leaked comment a few days ago continuing to feed the impression that Yak is an attitude problem that doesn't try hard in practice or something.

org has been carving this player for years. At somepoint they made the decision to bury this kid and try to make it look as much as possible that the kid ruined himself.
I don't think RNH has any hate for Yak at all. Nuge like Yak isn't a party kid so that isn't part of it. RNH actually seems indifferent to most people, it's how he is.

The org for sure has hurt Yak a bunch i can agree with that. However from little comments from McLellan who has no agenda against Yak it seems to me that Yak isn't helping himself a lot either.

Now i honestly believe it's due to how the org has treated him in the past and i hope Yak has the will to overcome that this summer and come out flying and show coach he is absolutely good enough.

It's a shame what we did to him, let's just hope he can overcome that.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't think any sensible person thinks Yakupov has an attitude problem, but he does have a hockey IQ problem.

For the last 3 seasons the org has nurtured a position that Yak is an attitude problem. First indication of that was him getting benched by Eakins only 4 games into his sophomore season after leading the team in goal scoring in his rookie season. A move that is still inexplicable years later. A defining scapegoat moment. Yak and Ryan Smyth were the two players benched by Eakins early that season. Both we're not in solid standing here for some reason. I don't know that Smyth ever was after coming back. Always seemed like McT or Lowe had some residual issue with him

Next Yak made to stand up and do a presser in front of an angry mob of pressers explaining his every action and why he talked to his agent about getting benched and buried by Eakins and his treatment here. 20yr old kid getting spanked by the org. To me the saddest moment by this org since Comrie, or Souray, or Smyth, etc.

This org loves its little petty viciousness which only continues.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

I agree entirely with you. And i still think it's a confidence thing. Eberle was able to do all those things and score beautiful goals and yet we were still constantly losing. Over time Eberle has learned that no matter how beautiful goals he scores, they are still going to lose cause they will allow more than theu can score.

He has zero confidence that the goals he scores even matter. I didn't know if that's fixable but it's a huge problem with our core.

I find it kind of amusing that we started the (pre)season arguing pretty hard about what to do with Yakupov/what kind of player he is, to totally agreeing about him and Eberle.

Confidence in their abilities is key for both of them/our forwards in general. You can see them 'turn it on' from time to time and then totally lose the thread when the d falls apart and they start worrying about screwing up again. I'm hopeful still that actually picking up some real D will help restore that confidence.

If we don't pick up any real solutions for the defence this off-season though, I don't really want to imagine how bad it's going to get.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I find it kind of amusing that we started the (pre)season arguing pretty hard about what to do with Yakupov/what kind of player he is, to totally agreeing about him and Eberle.

Confidence in their abilities is key for both of them/our forwards in general. You can see them 'turn it on' from time to time and then totally lose the thread when the d falls apart and they start worrying about screwing up again. I'm hopeful still that actually picking up some real D will help restore that confidence.

If we don't pick up any real solutions for the defence this off-season though, I don't really want to imagine how bad it's going to get.
I think the big difference between Eberle and Yak is Eberle still shows a few glimpses of wow due to his amazing hands and shot, so it is much easier to give him a pass compared to Eberle

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't think RNH has any hate for Yak at all. Nuge like Yak isn't a party kid so that isn't part of it. RNH actually seems indifferent to most people, it's how he is.

The org for sure has hurt Yak a bunch i can agree with that. However from little comments from McLellan who has no agenda against Yak it seems to me that Yak isn't helping himself a lot either.

Now i honestly believe it's due to how the org has treated him in the past and i hope Yak has the will to overcome that this summer and come out flying and show coach he is absolutely good enough.

It's a shame what we did to him, let's just hope he can overcome that.

Yeah.

Let me preface thinking that Nuge is a good young man, nice, proper, and this is not commentary on him at all. But Nuge is a member of the core that saw the headcoach scapegoat yak for 2 seasons. That leaves an impression. One that continues. That's on the org, not Nuge, Yak, etc. The org set that tone in relation of Yak. For whatever reason. Frankly it disgusts me that the Oilers leaked a message this week that one of the assistant coaches was screaming at Yak. That was a closed practice. How did that news get out? More machination from this org so that they can cut bait any any association. I was in denial but the writing is on the wall. I can't belive a club would take actions that actually devalue an asset but they've done this several times before. The oilers at this point may even want to be vindictive in deep-sixing Yaks NHL career so that he can't show them up in another location. The gears keep turning here.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I think the big difference between Eberle and Yak is Eberle still shows a few glimpses of wow due to his amazing hands and shot, so it is much easier to give him a pass compared to Eberle

Yeah, no debate there. Eberle still has that ability to save a game with a crazy play and is unquestionably the better player. But he has a similar drop between when he's 'on' and playing relatively sound defensive hockey and driving the net surprisingly well for a guy his size, and when he's 'off', e.g. that terrible inability to make a play at all at the end of the game yesterday.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yeah.

Let me preface thinking that Nuge is a good young man, nice, proper, and this is not commentary on him at all. But Nuge is a member of the core that saw the headcoach scapegoat yak for 2 seasons. That leaves an impression. One that continues. That's on the org, not Nuge, Yak, etc. The org set that tone in relation of Yak. For whatever reason. Frankly it disgusts me that the Oilers leaked a message this week that one of the assistant coaches was screaming at Yak. That was a closed practice. How did that news get out? More machination from this org so that they can cut bait any any association. I was in denial but the writing is on the wall. I can't belive a club would take actions that actually devalue an asset but they've done this several times before. The oilers at this point may even want to be vindictive in deep-sixing Yaks NHL career so that he can't show them up in another location. The gears keep turning here.
It might of got out cause players talk sometimes? Media personnel could of heard players talking about it.

What i think is Eakins did something to Yaks confidence and did something that ruined Yaks practice habits and this coaching staff can't stand it.

I don't think the org is still trying to ruin him, i just think new management has no idea what to do.

They are scared to move him and have him explode and not get decent value and look like the idiots that got nothing for the next Ovechkin.

For his sake i think they should move him for another under performing prospect.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Yeah, no debate there. Eberle still has that ability to save a game with a crazy play and is unquestionably the better player. But he has a similar drop between when he's 'on' and playing relatively sound defensive hockey and driving the net surprisingly well for a guy his size, and when he's 'off', e.g. that terrible inability to make a play at all at the end of the game yesterday.
Which is why i think Pouliot and RNH worked so well last year with him. Pouliot was good in the corners and Nuge was rest defensively so all he had to focus on was scoring.

This year they all had a rough spot which didn't help but Eberle with a two way center and big body on the left wing is the best for him.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Yeah.

I could be in the dark on the details about this "leak" and if so i apologise, but I thought the initial post about this on hear stated that it was the Canucks broadcast crew that talked about this? If the Oilers purposefully leaked this to smear a player, why supply it to an opposing team's media? Or did CHED/1260 chime in on it and I missed it?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I could be in the dark on the details about this "leak" and if so i apologise, but I thought the initial post about this on hear stated that it was the Canucks broadcast crew that talked about this? If the Oilers purposefully leaked this to smear a player, why supply it to an opposing team's media? Or did CHED/1260 chime in on it and I missed it?

What I'm indicating is how did this latest bit of choice information, again singling out one player, again the same player this org has scapegoated for years get outed. This was a closed practice. What is the leak? This also occurring within 2 weeks of the Stauffer leak and we all know Stauffer is essentially an Oilers staffer.

I continue to view this org with suspicion as this is far from the first time they have positioned to deepsix a players career. Again I cite Comrie, Souray, Smyth, could cite several more.

I'm not concluding, but I'm not discounting. I think it very interesting the Stauffer "leak" on Yak, and now this "leak occurred within weeks of each other and of course involving Yak.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It might of got out cause players talk sometimes? Media personnel could of heard players talking about it.

What i think is Eakins did something to Yaks confidence and did something that ruined Yaks practice habits and this coaching staff can't stand it.

I don't think the org is still trying to ruin him, i just think new management has no idea what to do.

They are scared to move him and have him explode and not get decent value and look like the idiots that got nothing for the next Ovechkin.

For his sake i think they should move him for another under performing prospect.

The bolded would be another bigger concern for reasons of this being a team sport. Also hypocritical as the same players resolutely defended Schultz's play here because he was considered one of the guys no matter how horrid his play was here. Man, if this got outed by the players this is a total ****show.

McDeathbyCheerios*

The bolded would be another bigger concern for reasons of this being a team sport. Also hypocritical as the same players resolutely defended Schultz's play here because he was considered one of the guys no matter how horrid his play was here. Man, if this got outed by the players this is a total ****show.
Depends on what they were saying. They could of been having a conversation at Rexall during a game saying how Yak got yelled at for messing up in practice and they felt bad for him and a media person could of been sitting in. If they went to media to tell them absolutely i can agree but if it was just overheard? Come on.

tsnTpoint

Apr 2, 2010

Why do I mention it? Eberle used to be a game changer on his own. Used to be one of those dynamic players that could make a play that caused both benches to have a reaction and that would alter the outcome of games. Theres less and less of that. Fire up Eberles PPG sophomore season and compare it to now

I fully agree with this and it worries me. I know its not fair to compare, but Sam Gagner was once a game changer for this team. During his 18 year old season he did things that made us all believe we had a legit star. Then he regressed and kept on regressing, to the point where his offensive creativity was gone.

Eberle is not anywhere near the Gagner conversation, but why are these guys not progressing?

With the 6 million price tag attached, I fear Eberle might have shifted himself into that near zero trade value status. Eberle has to provide major offense to validate that big 6 mil tag. He is small skilled winger that doesn't bring the intangibles. When he is not producing offense, he is not helping anything.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Depends on what they were saying. They could of been having a conversation at Rexall during a game saying how Yak got yelled at for messing up in practice and they felt bad for him and a media person could of been sitting in. If they went to media to tell them absolutely i can agree but if it was just overheard? Come on.

Yeah, fair comment, who knows the context.

But I'm not absolving the org or present management. Last season after Eakins got fired for gross incompetence Yak (likely Eakins biggest critic and one of the few players on the team with the balls to question his decisions) Yak goes on a tear with the newly acquired Roy and its like a Russian Spring for Yak. The org duly gets rid of Roy and after McDAvid injury buries Yak in bottomsix for most of season with players who'se play does not match his own. Yak has been warehoused most of this year. Would be virtually impossible for him to have reasonable production with his toi, mostly bottomsix use.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I fully agree with this and it worries me. I know its not fair to compare, but Sam Gagner was once a game changer for this team. During his 18 year old season he did things that made us all believe we had a legit star. Then he regressed and kept on regressing, to the point where his offensive creativity was gone.

Eberle is not anywhere near the Gagner conversation, but why are these guys not progressing?

With the 6 million price tag attached, I fear Eberle might have shifted himself into that near zero trade value status. Eberle has to provide major offense to validate that big 6 mil tag. He is small skilled winger that doesn't bring the intangibles. When he is not producing offense, he is not helping anything.

Yep. Its also shocking to consider how many Pts Eberle would have this year without McDavid. Eberle is getting better linemates on what is a better club, and with more well rounded offence, but is producing less. That's hard to figure. Like most players on this team he's got into kind of a comfort position. Good enough if I do this much type thinking. Speculation on my part but hard to argue there hasn't been appreciable regression from his sophomore height. Odd too that would be a players zenith.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
For the last 3 seasons the org has nurtured a position that Yak is an attitude problem. First indication of that was him getting benched by Eakins only 4 games into his sophomore season after leading the team in goal scoring in his rookie season. A move that is still inexplicable years later. A defining scapegoat moment. Yak and Ryan Smyth were the two players benched by Eakins early that season. Both we're not in solid standing here for some reason. I don't know that Smyth ever was after coming back. Always seemed like McT or Lowe had some residual issue with him

Next Yak made to stand up and do a presser in front of an angry mob of pressers explaining his every action and why he talked to his agent about getting benched and buried by Eakins and his treatment here. 20yr old kid getting spanked by the org. To me the saddest moment by this org since Comrie, or Souray, or Smyth, etc.

This org loves its little petty viciousness which only continues.

Yak was scratched because of his play away from the puck, which is why he is still floundering to this day. His inability to improve his 200 foot game is what has lead to every coach not fully trusting this player on the ice.

Even when Yak is producing offense he is not helping the team all that much. When you were so impressed with his play with Roy that duo still allowed 3 goals to every 2 they scored when on the ice together at even strength.

The Oilers did not make him do a "presser" in front of an angry mob of reporters. Would you expect nothing to happen if you had your agent come out and say play him or trade him? The media is obliged to ask some questions if a #1 overall pick makes what looks like a trade request. That should have been handled behind closed doors with Oilers management but when Yak went public like that the onus is on him to answer a few questions.

It's not just Yak that is the problem either. For the most part all the Oilers "high end" players have not taken it upon themselves to get better in their own zone and take care of the puck and do the little things right. Bottom line for me is that this player is a liability out there and that opinion has been confirmed by the multiple coaches handling of this player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad