Post-Game Talk: Avs win. We await an apology from McPuritania.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
We get it, you don't like Hall

His point is a good one though.

I'm one of the biggest Hall supporters there is and I don't know whats going on with him but we can't have him disappear for half a season like he has this year. It can't happen if you want to be a competitive team. Period.

Meanwhile every time Eberle doesn't have a three point night this board gets the pitchforks out.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

I woke up in time to see that PP. And on that shift what impressed me more than Ebs making a poorly timed pass... was Yak's complete lack of awareness on positioning. I mean you need more than that clip, but he was tripping over his own guys... standing beside Dmen. Finally when he is getting *close to a position in the soft ice where a safe pass can be made, he turns and only then decides it is time to get back to his position (right side point/half board).

hint... part of the reason Ebs is holding it is so he doesn't have to force a $1M pass between legs... ironic though I agree, that he gave it away anyway... but if Yak hadn't turned and had continued coasting backward into that shooting pocket, it would have been a decent pass... it was a patient, turned careless play by Eberle... by Yak? Just mostly clueless, like way too often.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Was pretty disappointing the stinker they laid out for us on fan appreciation night. Eberle was a non factor all night, and watching his lazy little **** pass on our last PP made my blood boil. We had possession, and a damn good opportunity to tie it up, and we lose the rest of that power play to such a stupid, lazy, play. I've had enough of Eberle.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Yep. of course. Eberle spending a dozen seconds there ************ with the puck and Yak finding open spots and not getting a pass, Yak then decides to cloak in a different position, is obviously skating to a different area, at this exact moment Eberle passes him the puck.

Look, lets be clear here, Eberle is a talented player but he has a propensity for no look passes. Does this no look to the point as well.

But I was just waiting to see people blaming Yak for that play. Soon as it happened I figured that was in the mail.

Hey, a game where no topsix scorer scores, where Hall looks like complete ass all night, but hey, lets blame Yak. Just never changes here.

Really?!

You wanted Ebs or Nuge to force one of the passes that had a ~8% chance of getting through to Yak? They are holding the puck and making safe passes between them because Yak is not getting open. It's a PP... there are plenty of spaces Yak could have been in to make that happen, but he got caught on a lark, out of position and tried to force the issue by being in all sorts of places where he either didn't have a legit chance of getting a shot off, or didn't have a legit chance of getting hit with the pass, or both.

The ice where Ebs put the puck was the "soft ice" that a real sniper would have drifted to in order to open up a passing lane.

Not to mention Yak was playing on the right point/ right half boards on that PP... sometimes it's about patience in your ACTUAL position and then a quick dart to open ice... vs what he did on that shift, get pulled down behind the net, out of position and drift in the slot, in the middle of their tight 4 man box, still out of position and marked...

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
You learn in Novice or should anyways to never turn your back to the puck. Seriously!

That being said our PP was a disaster all night. McDavid turned it over, Hall turned it over, Drai turned it over, Eberle, and Yak.

A few of them more then once.

I didnt mind the game though, you could tell a better team just beat us tonight and it happens.

Sure wish I could see the internal goals of the team and players for these last 18 games that TM keeps saying. Maybe after the season, I'll break down the record of the team, PP sucess rate, PK rate, and points and +/- for each individual.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
No, I think the point is (and its a damn solid one Beerfish) that Eberle isn't nearly as bad as some posters like to make him out to be.
Beerfish provided some more complete numbers to counter the three assists to McDavid that got cherry picked above.

Now if you want to argue that thirty points in forty games isn't good enough, then I'm all ears. I think Eberle can do better. And its frustrating as hell when he has a game like last night. Wide open in the slot and he just buggers it. Passes to the air. Dispsy doodles that were buying him nothing all night long. Half-hearted forecheck. Of course its one ****** game, not the sum of his career, but as usual the board is going to over react and start calling his courage, heart, integrity, value etc into question. Not saying you did that of course. Well, not today anyway.

Eberle is producing the same as he always produces. How many other guys the team counts on for goals can say that? Certainly none of the lotto picks have had the sort of season we need them to have. If McLellan has a brain in his head he'll find a way to utilize Eberle's skill set. This team cannot afford to just throw away the guy who scores the most goals.
Meanwhile every time Eberle doesn't have a three point night this board gets the pitchforks out.
Oh ****. This exactly.

McDeathbyCheerios*

No, I think the point is (and its a damn solid one Beerfish) that Eberle isn't nearly as bad as some posters like to make him out to be.
Beerfish provided some more complete numbers to counter the three assists to McDavid that got cherry picked above.

Now if you want to argue that thirty points in forty games isn't good enough, then I'm all ears. I think Eberle can do better. And its frustrating as hell when he has a game like last night. Wide open in the slot and he just buggers it. Passes to the air. Dispsy doodles that were buying him nothing all night long. Half-hearted forecheck. Of course its one ****** game, not the sum of his career, but as usual the board is going to over react and start calling his courage, heart, integrity, value etc into question. Not saying you did that of course. Well, not today anyway.

Eberle is producing the same as he always produces. How many other guys the team counts on for goals can say that? Certainly none of the lotto picks have had the sort of season we need them to have. If McLellan has a brain in his head he'll find a way to utilize Eberle's skill set. This team cannot afford to just throw away the guy who scores the most goals.
Oh ****. This exactly.
People don't like Eberle because he isn't a stereotypical Western conference guy. He isn't physical at all and is weak in the boards.

Put him on an Eastern team and that team would love him.

I still think we should of kept the Maroon, Drai, Eberle trio going. They didn't end up scoring but they were dominate in posession. Maroon and Drai cleared space, Drai and Eberle did the skill plays and Maroon crashed the net and got in people's faces.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I still think we should of kept the Maroon, Drai, Eberle trio going. They didn't end up scoring but they were dominate in posession. Maroon and Drai cleared space, Drai and Eberle did the skill plays and Maroon crashed the net and got in people's faces.
I agree. Its just ridiculous the amount of line juggling this team does. And yeah injuries blah blah blah, but this team, no matter who the coach has been, just never sticks with anything for more than about two nights.

As soon as things go a little dry its like panic sets in behind the Oilers bench and the juggling commences. I honestly think this has a role in the poor performances of some players. Not every player adjusts the same to the constant upheaval in the lineup.

I think the coach must see all this fabulous talent and he just can't help himself but start moving people around as if he's going to be the genius that finally stumbles across that killer combination that is going to rip up the conference. Truth is no combination works all the time, and when it goes a little dry, sometimes players are better left to work through it rather than being moved around. In some cases working through those tough stretches helps linemates grow better.

But not in Edmonton. Its always mix and match time.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I agree. Its just ridiculous the amount of line juggling this team does. And yeah injuries blah blah blah, but this team, no matter who the coach has been, just never sticks with anything for more than about two nights.

As soon as things go a little dry its like panic sets in behind the Oilers bench and the juggling commences. I honestly think this has a role in the poor performances of some players. Not every player adjusts the same to the constant upheaval in the lineup.

I think the coach must see all this fabulous talent and he just can't help himself but start moving people around as if he's going to be the genius that finally stumbles across that killer combination that is going to rip up the conference. Truth is no combination works all the time, and when it goes a little dry, sometimes players are better left to work through it rather than being moved around. In some cases working through those tough stretches helps linemates grow better.

But not in Edmonton. Its always mix and match time.
Not true this year for the most part. He didn't really change the line combos for most of the season. Only really started after game like... 50.probably due to the season being done for us him wanting to just tinker to see what types of lines work and which don't so he can use training camp to build chemistry instead of tinker.

Sucks as a fan but makes sense to me

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

No you are totally incorrect. What I don't like is the usual blasting the hell out of some of our players no matter what and giving others a free pass when looking at the same parameters. That is what I don't like.

Hall is the 2nd best player on the team.
Hall is a very important player to this team.
Hall has played like sheer and utter garbage the last half of the season. (For a player of his calibre)

When I make posts like I did comparing stats it is usually in response to the 3 or 4 or 5 posts in a thread totally lambasting one player and tossing out mountains of excuse for another player.

Treat every player the same, give them credit when they play well, give them grief when they don't. Acknowledge the value they bring to the team, acknowledge the weaknesses they bring to the team.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Oh ****. This exactly.

Oh Beerfish has been on this rant about Hall for the last little while. I guess you don't remember him selecting sample sizes as well earlier to validate his argument?

FTR, I don't hate Eberle. I think he's really talented offensively but aside from that, he doesn't do much, especially without the puck. He doesn't go into dirty areas and when there's oncoming contact, he brain farts.

Cheerios summed it up.

People don't like Eberle because he isn't a stereotypical Western conference guy. He isn't physical at all and is weak in the boards.

Put him on an Eastern team and that team would love him.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Oh Beerfish has been on this rant about Hall for the last little while. I guess you don't remember him selecting sample sizes as well earlier to validate his argument?

FTR, I don't hate Eberle. I think he's really talented offensively but aside from that, he doesn't do much, especially without the puck. He doesn't go into dirty areas and when there's oncoming contact, he brain farts.

Cheerios summed it up.
Eberle is a valuable player because his offensive ability is second to only McDavid on the team (Hall has more points but i don't think he is better offensively).

The problem is we have yet to have the players on the team to allow Eberle to play his game and not hurt the team in other ways.

If Eberle played with say...

Lucic and Draisaitl for example that's a line that can do lots of damage and Eberles short comings Lucic and Draisaitl make up for.

Guys like Eberle are complimentary players who when put in the right spot are absolutely deadly.

Hall is a driver so imo if he is off his game it hurts the team more.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
No you are totally incorrect. What I don't like is the usual blasting the hell out of some of our players no matter what and giving others a free pass when looking at the same parameters. That is what I don't like.

Hall is the 2nd best player on the team.
Hall is a very important player to this team.
Hall has played like sheer and utter garbage the last half of the season. (For a player of his calibre)

When I make posts like I did comparing stats it is usually in response to the 3 or 4 or 5 posts in a thread totally lambasting one player and tossing out mountains of excuse for another player.

Treat every player the same, give them credit when they play well, give them grief when they don't. Acknowledge the value they bring to the team, acknowledge the weaknesses they bring to the team.

I agree Hall is struggling. Reasons I'm not sure [personal demons?] but if you don't think he's the 2nd best player on the team, then I don't know what to say.

The issues with Eberle have always been that when games get tight, he doesn't show up much.

I suppose if you look at it from an expectation thing, Eberle is performing like we expect ~0.6ppg and Hall not so much. Maybe I just expect other facets of Eberle's game to develop more.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Eberle is a valuable player because his offensive ability is second to only McDavid on the team (Hall has more points but i don't think he is better offensively).

The problem is we have yet to have the players on the team to allow Eberle to play his game and not hurt the team in other ways.

If Eberle played with say...

Lucic and Draisaitl for example that's a line that can do lots of damage and Eberles short comings Lucic and Draisaitl make up for.

Guys like Eberle are complimentary players who when put in the right spot are absolutely deadly.

Hall is a driver so imo if he is off his game it hurts the team more.

I don't disagree. :nod:

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Surprise Iginla didn't put up points. He always does against the Oilers. I think half of his career points come from the Oilers.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I agree Hall is struggling. Reasons I'm not sure [personal demons?] but if you don't think he's the 2nd best player on the team, then I don't know what to say.

The issues with Eberle have always been that when games get tight, he doesn't show up much.

I suppose if you look at it from an expectation thing, Eberle is performing like we expect ~0.6ppg and Hall not so much. Maybe I just expect other facets of Eberle's game to develop more.
Hall is struggling because he loves hockey and he is passionate and again he is missing the playoffs after time he probably ****s with your brain and confidence.

I know we can all day "oh he makes millions of dollars he should just try harder" but having your team constantly fail is hard.

Hall and Drai were the top producing duo in the NHL for a while and we were still losing more games than winning.

Hell if i was one of the best salesmen in the country at my job and my company kept having to lay people off and was failing cause we weren't making money and i couldn't leave due to contract **** it would take a lot of my spirit away.

I'm not making excuses for Hall I'm saying i completely understand him having confidence or effort issues, very few players in NHL history could still give a **** this for this long of failure

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Really?!

You wanted Ebs or Nuge to force one of the passes that had a ~8% chance of getting through to Yak? They are holding the puck and making safe passes between them because Yak is not getting open. It's a PP... there are plenty of spaces Yak could have been in to make that happen, but he got caught on a lark, out of position and tried to force the issue by being in all sorts of places where he either didn't have a legit chance of getting a shot off, or didn't have a legit chance of getting hit with the pass, or both.

The ice where Ebs put the puck was the "soft ice" that a real sniper would have drifted to in order to open up a passing lane.

Not to mention Yak was playing on the right point/ right half boards on that PP... sometimes it's about patience in your ACTUAL position and then a quick dart to open ice... vs what he did on that shift, get pulled down behind the net, out of position and drift in the slot, in the middle of their tight 4 man box, still out of position and marked...

Yeah forget it. Maybe Yak should learn to just play perimeter like all these other PP beauties. As others have mentioned either Nuge or Ebs had all day to get Yak the puck there in open spots and I Iso'ed on that. Earlier in the game on another PP Yak is wide open in the slot cocked and Nuge looks off him and muffs a bad angle shot into the goalies bread basket. Essentially a turnover as we lose the ensuing faceoff.

Fact of the matter is Nuge/Eberle are much more familiar with each other and likely to pass to each other. Yak should find his own puck..

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Yesterday highlighted our weakest players..

Fayne, Clendenning and Oesterle on D
swap them out for Klefbom, Davidson and another top 4 Dman and D is set.

Up front Yak and Korpi need to go.. swap them with Pouliot and another forward and we are set.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Yeah forget it. Maybe Yak should learn to just play perimeter like all these other PP beauties. As others have mentioned either Nuge or Ebs had all day to get Yak the puck there in open spots and I Iso'ed on that. Earlier in the game on another PP Yak is wide open in the slot cocked and Nuge looks off him and muffs a bad angle shot into the goalies bread basket. Essentially a turnover as we lose the ensuing faceoff.

Fact of the matter is Nuge/Eberle are much more familiar with each other and likely to pass to each other. Yak should find his own puck..

This is probably just that and Yak is a ticking time bomb when it comes to decisions. Still, those 2 could've made a quicker decision and Yak couldve turned around quicker IMO.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

Earlier in the game Yak forced 2 plays on the pp that resulted in turnovers way worse then the Eberle turnover.

All of them turned the puck over last night, to single out any one of them is a agenda

Not saying you have a agenda

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Oh ****. This exactly.

No wait, Beerfish provided some specious numbers selected arbitrarily that hilite When Eberle has produced the best this season and a rate of production that doesn't befit either his career rate of production or who he happens to be playing with.

The question that should be asked is whether a lacklustre 42pts from 6M Jordan Eberle is enough considering the team gifts him all the primo minutes and linemates they can give him. Several of the latest goals are results of others, McDavid, driving the play. What is Eberle creating currently. As another poster mentioned what has become of his passing ability?

Eberle, like most players on this club has regressed. Where is the player that goes through an entire Flames team and tucks a hilite reel goal in the net on HNIC. What happens to that nature of display with players on this team? Now we're reduced to Eberle requiring letter perfect feeds to score. Whens the last time Eberle has created a goal. Actually beat a couple people and scored. Anybody care to cue that one up?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Really?!

love the percentage calculated out of the ass to make a point posts... 8% really?
at 10 seconds mark of that clip Yak is wide open and there is a clear lane for Ebs to make a 10ft pass. Ebs however chose to hang on to the puck and made a pass that had 0.8834% chance of reaching Yak.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Earlier in the game Yak forced 2 plays on the pp that resulted in turnovers way worse then the Eberle turnover.

All of them turned the puck over last night, to single out any one of them is a agenda

Not saying you have a agenda

I missed the first period so not sure if it was then but I didn't see many miscues from yak last night. I saw a player that made several promising rushes and that took the puck into traffic and challenged D creating chances in a tight game. I also saw him draw a penalty on one of those rushes. Yak seemed very activated. Even got a couple quality chances and worked hard.

In anycase who on this team doesn't turn the puck over on the PP. If we start suggesting players shouldn't have the puck on that basis no Oiler should..

At this point the only Oiler that could be given the benefit of doubt in forcing PP plays is the high reward McDavid. Everybdoy else is putrid on the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad