Post-Game Talk: Avs win. We await an apology from McPuritania.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Oh Beerfish has been on this rant about Hall for the last little while. I guess you don't remember him selecting sample sizes as well earlier to validate his argument?

FTR, I don't hate Eberle. I think he's really talented offensively but aside from that, he doesn't do much, especially without the puck. He doesn't go into dirty areas and when there's oncoming contact, he brain farts.

Cheerios summed it up.

Can you not see that you are doing exactly what you accuse me of doing? Beerfish has been on Halls case because as a top 3 LW in the league he's been playing like garbage for the last half a season. Now I wouldn't go out of my way to make these posts if I don't see 10 posts in a thread just raking player A, B, or C all over the coals for their play and in the same breath excusing the favored son of those people.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
No wait, Beerfish provided some specious numbers selected arbitrarily that hilite When Eberle has produced the best this season and a rate of production that doesn't befit either his career rate of production or who he happens to be playing with.

The question that should be asked is whether a lacklustre 42pts from 6M Jordan Eberle is enough considering the team gifts him all the primo minutes and linemates they can give him. Several of the latest goals are results of others, McDavid, driving the play. What is Eberle creating currently. As another poster mentioned what has become of his passing ability?

Eberle, like most players on this club has regressed. Where is the player that goes through an entire Flames team and tucks a hilite reel goal in the net on HNIC. What happens to that nature of display with players on this team? Now we're reduced to Eberle requiring letter perfect feeds to score. Whens the last time Eberle has created a goal. Actually beat a couple people and scored. Anybody care to cue that one up?

Half a season worth of numbers is being selective and specious? The object of the game is to score goals, get assists, produce on the pp, get gwg and not be a minus blackhole.

Each one of those Eberle has killed Hall in the last half a season.

If you want to ignore Eberles stat lines becasue he doesn't look gritty enough doing it fine but if Eberle is getting blasted for his play then Hall should be getting riden out of town for his. and we all know that is not happening.

Simple fact, Eberle is a scorer, he will never be gritty, he will never be a Dstalwart. He simply produces offense and until the Oilers get someone else he's the best fit to play with our best player because he has instincts and offensive hockey sense.

My normal plea is the same as it always has been. Look at each player with the same glasses on, if you are going to blast player A for performance go ahead but use the same metrics with player B.

If you are going to make excuses for player A's play then allow the same excuses for player B.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Half a season worth of numbers is being selective and specious? The object of the game is to score goals, get assists, produce on the pp, get gwg and not be a minus blackhole.

If you want to ignore Eberles stat lines becasue he doesn't look gritty enough doing it fine but if Eberle is getting blasted for his play then Hall should be getting riden out of town for his. and we all know that is not happening.

Simple fact, Eberle is a scorer, he will never be gritty, he will never be a Dstalwart. He simply produces offense and until the Oilers get someone else he's the best fit to play with our best player because he has instincts and offensive hockey sense.

My normal plea is the same as it always has been. Look at each player with the same glasses on, if you are going to blast player A for performance go ahead but use the same metrics with player B.

If you are going to make excuses for player A's play then allow the same excuses for player B.

Wait, Hall was moving mountains and was 4th in the league in scoring at one point when the games potentially even mattered and Eberle, was, as per usual a slow starter and looked very ordinary till around Xmas when the season was over.

Hall has checked out somewhat, would agree, but he showed up when it mattered. Eberle has become the definition of an easy to play against opponent that basically disappears against playoff quality clubs.

In anycase hall has 58pts, Eberle 41. Hall is -1, Eberle is -10. On the very season in which you are castigating Hall and praising Eberle. Yeah, so that's where it gets specious carefully picking an arbitrary timeline that MOST distorts the relative contributions of each player on this club. Speaking of using "same metrics" and "same glasses" lol

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton

I'm glad people are talking about this play as it was so strange watching it happen. Eberle is a goat for not making the painfully obvious play and Yak's a dummy for putting his tail between his legs and just giving up. Any other player in the position Yak is in, Eberle passes him the puck when he's supposed to at the point when he starts moving up the boards from behind the net. The fact that we're talking about it guarantees Chia and McLellan saw the same thing, simply put its ****ing childish by both of them. Eberle for not passing and Yak for just giving up.

For me Eberle is the worst offender, how can you win with guys like this? Yak is a strange player at the best of times but for him to learn anything you need to reward him for being in the right place at the right time, which he was (for once). Not be a ****** teammate which is exactly what Eberle did. For that matter who is Eberle to be critical of another player?

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I just realized McD got a point last night lol. I turned the game off with about 5 minutes left.

McPuritania must have left the building with 10 seconds left. ;)

Last edited:

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I'm glad people are talking about this play as it was so strange watching it happen. Eberle is a goat for not making the painfully obvious play and Yak's a dummy for putting his tail between his legs and just giving up. Any other player in the position Yak is in, Eberle passes him the puck when he's supposed to at the point when he starts moving up the boards from behind the net. The fact that we're talking about it guarantees Chia and McLellan saw the same thing, simply put its ****ing childish by both of them. Eberle for not passing and Yak for just giving up.

For me Eberle is the worst offender, how can you win with guys like this? Yak is a strange player at the best of times but for him to learn anything you need to reward him for being in the right place at the right time, which he was (for once). Not be a ****** teammate which is exactly what Eberle did. For that matter who is Eberle to be critical of another player?

Yep. I think both are likely gone this offseason. You can't have either of those things on a successful team.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Wait, Hall was moving mountains and was 4th in the league in scoring at one point when the games potentially even mattered and Eberle, was, as per usual a slow starter and looked very ordinary till around Xmas when the season was over.

Hall has checked out somewhat, would agree, but he showed up when it mattered. Eberle has become the definition of an easy to play against opponent that basically disappears against playoff quality clubs.

In anycase hall has 58pts, Eberle 41. Hall is -1, Eberle is -10. On the very season in which you are castigating Hall and praising Eberle. Yeah, so that's where it gets specious carefully picking an arbitrary timeline that MOST distorts the relative contributions of each player on this club. Speaking of using "same metrics" and "same glasses" lol

Didn't Eberle miss the first month and a half due to injury? I'm not giving him more rope than Hall, but I think it's a bit unfair to judge a guy and say he was a slow started this year, when he missed 14 or so games out of the shute and then needed more time to get up to pace, as most injured players do.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
That last play will never work with hybrid icing. I bet that was a Woodcroft idea. :facepalm:

I was speechless that they did that. No chance whatsoever of it working out to anything other than an icing. It's dumb **** like that where the media needs to be asking the coaching staff what they were thinking.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005

Great post. Sure wish more folks around here felt the way you do.
For me Eberle is the worst offender, how can you win with guys like this? Yak is a strange player at the best of times but for him to learn anything you need to reward him for being in the right place at the right time, which he was (for once).
He was only in the 'right place' for about one second. The rest of the time? Who the **** knows what that was.
Not be a ****** teammate which is exactly what Eberle did. For that matter who is Eberle to be critical of another player?
I cannot believe that there are fans who seriously believe that Eberle (or Hall, or whoever) doesn't want to pass to poor little Nail. Utterly ridiculous.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton

You must be forgetting the part where Eberle missed the 1st 10-20 games of the season.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
You must be forgetting the part where Eberle missed the 1st 10-20 games of the season.

Eberle missed 13 games. he figuratively missed another 13 games ramping up to the NHL season obtaining 3 pts in his first 13GP while playing topsix and huge PP minutes.

Yeah I notice stretches like that early in seasons when the games matter. Fact is after a game December 2 Eberle had only 3 pts.

Since we're interested in questioning he had a slow start.

Additionally, is it now fashionable for a aplayer coming off an injury that only sidelines him 13 games to take as long getting up to speed from the injury?

Eberle took a whole month getting up to speed. Was that strickly injury related or was he just sucking?

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Eberle missed 13 games. he figuratively missed another 13 games ramping up to the NHL season obtaining 3 pts in his first 13GP while playing topsix and huge PP minutes.

Yeah I notice stretches like that early in seasons when the games matter. Fact is after a game December 2 Eberle had only 3 pts.

Additionally, is it now fashionable for a aplayer coming off an injury that only sidelines him 13 games to take as long getting up to speed from the injury?

Eberle took a whole month getting up to speed. Was that strickly injury related or was he just sucking?

A little from Column Aargh, and a little from Column Blech. No free rides next year.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Hall has always been a slow starter as well, as has most of the team every year in the Katz era outside of the Khabibivezina start that one year. This is the one year when Hall had a strong start playing alongside a center who had a huge chiup on his shoulder and whom the league hadn't figured out yet.
Not to make excuses for Eberle but he's a complimentary player who needs a top playmaking center to facilitate offense. He started off his year playing with a struggling Nuge and then Test Tubes at varying points so it's no wonder that his offense didn't boost until McDavid came back. If you're expecting tons of intensity, strong board work and 2 way play then you're expecting too much from Eberle. He's an opportunistic offensive player, that's the extent of his skillset.

The bottom line is that I don't get why people single out one player as underperforming when the reality is that all outside of a supernova rookie and a goalie who has yet to be Oilerized should own some blame for team failure, including the coaches. They all need to be better especially when the games matter.

The problem with the old core is that they have beaten down by years of losing and constant shuffling of coaches and weak supporting cast around them. That's a lot of adversity for young players to overcome when it's all they've been accustomed to in their pro careers so their play hasn't recovered to where it used to be before the losing culture sunk in. The other thing is that they aren't good enough to carry a team so naturally the team has suffered as a result.

pox

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton

Spot on...

jeg

Jun 16, 2015

I have watched this a few times and i am totally lost on how this is Eberle's problem. The only point Yak was open was at 9 sec on the clip but Eberle sucked in Comeau and had Yak been aware of the actual game being played he wold have been even more open to receive the pass however he turned his back to the play...on the power play, he turned his back. Where if he was aware of the play he would have moved closer to the goal, where the puck needs to go, and would have been offered a dandy pass.
I know the Oilers suck so we pick the team apart, i do it and i'm a big fan but i think its getting a little crazy when we are assuming players are critical of other players.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I have watched this a few times and i am totally lost on how this is Eberle's problem. The only point Yak was open was at 9 sec on the clip but Eberle sucked in Comeau and had Yak been aware of the actual game being played he wold have been even more open to receive the pass however he turned his back to the play...on the power play, he turned his back. Where if he was aware of the play he would have moved closer to the goal, where the puck needs to go, and would have been offered a dandy pass.
I know the Oilers suck so we pick the team apart, i do it and i'm a big fan but i think its getting a little crazy when we are assuming players are critical of other players.

Eberle forced the puck and a turn over resulted. So yeah its Eberles fault to a degree. But Yak? Where was he going? What was he doing? I totally agree, turning your back to a play? Novice stuff right there.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Eberle forced the puck and a turn over resulted. So yeah its Eberles fault to a degree. But Yak? Where was he going? What was he doing? I totally agree, turning your back to a play? Novice stuff right there.

What Yak was looking to do was either setup shop on the other side of the Opponent that was marking him or skate around and then cut in the box. That's something I've seen him do before a fair amount.

Actually I like players to be not static for too long. Yak was open for a bit both when Nuge had the puck, then when Eberle had the puck. By the time Ebs did think about passing him he was marked. Thus Yak moving to a different spot.

nor can a player be a target for a pass at all time either.

All this ''he turned his back on a PP melodrama" is overstated. (not saying you) Players get in and out of spots all the time on a pp that is not static. Movement is key actually and wish more of it was happening on this PP. But absolutely required is QUICK movement of the puck. Lightning fast. The moment a player is open. not deliberating for 10 secs whether to pass.
All around the league the teams I see successful opening up chances on PP move the puck laser fast with bang bang passing.

our PP is so static, so predicatable, peripheral, perimeter

sigh:(

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
What Yak was looking to do was either setup shop on the other side of the Opponent that was marking him or skate around and then cut in the box. That's something I've seen him do before a fair amount.

Actually I like players to be not static for too long. Yak was open for a bit both when Nuge had the puck, then when Eberle had the puck. By the time Ebs did think about passing him he was marked. Thus Yak moving to a different spot.

nor can a player be a target for a pass at all time either.

All this ''he turned his back on a PP melodrama" is overstated. (not saying you) Players get in and out of spots all the time on a pp that is not static. Movement is key actually and wish more of it was happening on this PP. But absolutely required is QUICK movement of the puck. Lightning fast. The moment a player is open. not deliberating for 10 secs whether to pass.
All around the league the teams I see successful opening up chances on PP move the puck laser fast with bang bang passing.

our PP is so static, so predicatable, peripheral, perimeter

sigh:(

The PP isnt as good as it should be, that we can agree on ;)

I get the not being static, but seriously turning your back to the play is something you learn or should learn in Novice as a forward, dman, or goalie ;)

I just dont know where he was going in that situation. He was open, the puck was coming to him, so he turns his back to the play :laugh: I dont get it. Eberle actually makes a great play there the more I watch it. He draws the opposition to him leaving Yak wide open but Yak decides to just skate away? Still bad on Eberle for turning the puck over there though.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I just realized McD got a point last night lol. I turned the game off with about 5 minutes left.

McPuritania must have left the building with 10 seconds left. ;)

:laugh: Nah, I stayed till the end. All in all, I guess it's nice to not see the team shut out like usual, but it's been years since I've seen this team win live. :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad