Pre-Game Talk: Avs @ Wild | Thursday, October 9th, 6:30pm MT | Countdown to Regression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
wild will go with this: Minnesotan kokoonpano Colorado-otteluun:

Parise-Granlund-Pominville
Cooke-Koivu-Vanek
Niederreiter-Haula-Coyle
Zucker-Brodziak-Carter

Suter-Brodin
Scandella-Spurgeon
Dumba-Folin

Kuemper (Bäckström)

Lähteet: Startribune.com

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
LOL...that was a HUUUUUUUGE upgrade over a few years before that.

2007-2008 Opening Night

Smyth-Sakic-Hejduk
Hlinka-Stastny-Brunette
Wolski-Arnason-Laperriere
Guite-Smith-Svatos

Hannan-Clark
Leopold-Sauer
Skrastins-Liles

Budaj
Raycroft

THREE players from that team are still in the league and Leopold and Liles are hanging on to their careers by a very fine thread. The rest are all out of the league or retired.

Ouch.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=425666&page=6

Hannan is still in the NHL, he played last night.

Colorado was sporting an older team at that point, trying to get the most out of Sakic's final years. The team looks bad on paper now but were considered dark horses for the cup; Sakic was coming off 100 points, Smyth off a big year, Budaj off 30 wins, etc.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Hannan is still in the NHL, he played last night.

Colorado was sporting an older team at that point, trying to get the most out of Sakic's final years. The team looks bad on paper now but were considered dark horses for the cup; Sakic was coming off 100 points, Smyth off a big year, Budaj off 30 wins, etc.

I actually think that's solid roster. Playoff team. Goaltending was huge weakness though.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Minnesota is stacked up front. Here we are sending out McLoeod and Cliche again. I thought we wanted more depth. Just look at their third line! Holy bananas. Of course they have Cooke up at the second line so it balances itself out a bit.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Minnesota is stacked up front. Here we are sending out McLoeod and Cliche again. I thought we wanted more depth. Just look at their third line! Holy bananas. Of course they have Cooke up at the second line so it balances itself out a bit.

To be fair, McLeod and Cliche are on the fourth and not the third line this time around.

McGinn/Talbot/Briere is an odd third line, but it might turn out to be decent.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Well, we do have two injuries to two of our better depth players, but Minnesota has better depth players anyway. Minnesota is healthy, outside of Fontaine, I believe.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I actually think that's solid roster. Playoff team. Goaltending was huge weakness though.

Actually, 07-08 still had Theo between the pipes, so it really wasn't. It was 08-09 that had Boods/Raycroft that earned the Avs the right to pick Duchene. I'm not saying Theo was elite or anything at that point but he wasn't the team's most glaring weakness. That D was slow, not savvy enough with the puck, and just plain not nearly talented enough. Good enough to make the playoff maybe (which they did) but not much past that.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Well, we do have two injuries to two of our better depth players, but Minnesota has better depth players anyway. Minnesota is healthy, outside of Fontaine, I believe.

They always are. The ******** :laugh: .

(well except for Harding that is)

I will never understand why that word is censored.

member 116861

Their bottom 6 is great but they do have Cooke on their 2nd line.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Their defense is also pretty weak after the top pairing. Suter hides a lot of their issues there.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Good lord, thats a deep squad

That offence is ridiculous, particularly the third line.

The defense and goaltending may be suspect. If Suter ever goes down they are well and truly screwed. They rely on him to carry the defence for half the game.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Their defense is also pretty weak after the top pairing. Suter hides a lot of their issues there.

I'd say Brodin does a lot to hide Suter's issues. :laugh:

And as much as we made fun of Like a Spurgeon and his broken ankles, he had the last laugh in the final playoff game. They better be relentless on him in the attacking zone.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd say Brodin does a lot to hide Suter's issues. :laugh:

And as much as we made fun of Like a Spurgeon and his broken ankles, he had the last laugh in the final playoff game. They better be relentless on him in the attacking zone.

Yeesh... not a Suter fan? Without Suter, Minnesota's defense might be the worst in the league. Luckily for them, they have him on the ice for 30 minutes a game.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'd say you're in the minority there. Maybe even on an island all by yourself. Suter is a top 5 defenseman.

I know I'm in the minority. For the record, I've never even really glanced at his fancy stats, but I've seen him get burned a LOT 1-on-1 during his Nashville days (other things also stuck out, but it was those instances that really looked glaring to me), so while I think he's an ace puckmover and certainly good defensively, I disagree with the majority of people who say he's elite. Top-pairing guy for sure, but I don't think he's up there with the Keiths and Webers of the NHL. I most certainly wouldn't put him in top 5.

Burnaby_Joe*

I know I'm in the minority. For the record, I've never even really glanced at his fancy stats, but I've seen him get burned a LOT 1-on-1 during his Nashville days (other things also stuck out, but it was those instances that really looked glaring to me), so while I think he's an ace puckmover and certainly good defensively, I disagree with the majority of people who say he's elite. Top-pairing guy for sure, but I don't think he's up there with the Keiths and Webers of the NHL. I most certainly wouldn't put him in top 5.

I respect your opinion, but Suter is a top 5 dmen.

Let's go Avs!

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I'd take Suter over any other defenseman besides (maybe) Doughty. He has no flaws, other than not being elite offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad