GDT: Avs vs Wings | 7:00MT | Today's Date | Introduce your face to your palm

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Just got back from the game and had few observations:

1. Zanon is the worst hockey player I have ever seen play NHL hockey. I used to go to a lot of Colorado Eagles games when they were in the Central Hockey League and most of the dmen in that league are better than him. This guy should not be in the NHL, let alone getting top 4 minutes. I've been going to Avs games since 95 and I've never seen anyone come close to his level of crappiness.

2. Giggy actually was pretty solid made some key saves for us. He always gives a professional effort.

3. Where in the hell have ROR and Landeskog gone? They were completely invisible tonight didn't even notice them once, this can't happen from your captain and your 2nd highest paid player. Neither player has done squat for about the last 5 games or so. Both need to pick it up.

4. EJ will be a better dman once he gets a real partner. He shows flashes of brilliance at least a couple times a night, but you also can tell he holds back because he doesn't have faith in his partner. There were a couple times tonight where it looked like he was about to attempt a big time play then maybe second guessed himself and made a safer play.

5. Liked the effort from Malone, Olver, and Pajamas.

6. Duchene and PAP look tired, I think the whole having to carry the entire offensive load every single night is wearing on them. They still were our best offensive threats tonight, but they look gassed.

7. Barrie looks like a player, still really raw and makes rookie mistakes but the skill is there give him 2 years and he will be a 40pts dman kind of in the Dan Boyle mold.

They were excellent defensively all night. Made numerous great plays.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
They were excellent defensively all night. Made numerous great plays.

I meant offensively speaking, I already know they can play solid defensively they did that all last season. And I've come to expect that from that pair. And you are right they did play solid in that aspect of the game tonight.

But these guys are paid to score goals and/or produce them. And they just aren't creating anything. I think ROR had one good opportunity on the PP in the 3rd but outside of that nothing. They have got to pick it up on the offensive side of the rink. They are being counted on to be the 2nd line and they need to produce as such.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I have seen every western conference team live except the Ducks, and Wings fans are BY FAR the worst of them all. They were AWFUL tonight (except the two cool people next to us, they were great)
They are all either the dooshiest ever (like, in 5 different frats level) or they're trailer trash. And half of them wear nascar jackets over their tucked in jerseys.

They got SO pumped. Like, you BARELY beat the last place team and we outplayed you most of the game. I wouldn't get too excited.
I don't mind losing but my Lord I wanted to punch everyone ever today. And it's not just the amount of them, I've been to Pittsburgh games and Chicago games and most of their fans are fine. I don't understand.
And they get so excited because there are so many of them. You realize you're all here because where you're from is awful, right? Why are you so excited?

I HATE THEM.

I'm sorry, I had to rant. They were just the worst. Also, half of them have Bertuzzi jerseys. Is that just a Colorado Wings fan thing? Like, of all the good players on your team, you spent $200 on Bertuzzi? They have to be trolling Denver right? RIGHT?!

Yea that's weird. He was never really all that good of a Wings player. For them to shell out that much money for a Bertuzzi jersey with so many past and present great Wings players is ridiculous, let alone to wear it to an Avs game. It's got to be like 95% that person is just a POS human being in real life too.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yea that's weird. He was never really all that good of a Wings player. For them to shell out that much money for a Bertuzzi jersey with so many past and present great Wings players is ridiculous, let alone to wear it to an Avs game. It's got to be like 95% that person is just a POS human being in real life too.

Not gonna lie, if I was a Wings fan, he'd be right up there for me in terms of wanting to get his jersey along with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom and Kronwall from the recent era of Wings. He's just such a great hockey player but he's lost a step which is why he's not as dominant as he used to be but make no mistake about it at one point in time he was one of the top 5 players in the NHL and for a good reason. He's got the smarts and the skills but just lost a step now, and is so injury riddled but I understand why they get his jersey.

That, and there's probably so many Wings fans with retro Yzerman, Shanahan, Larionov, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg etc jerseys that they might just want to feel different

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Just saw the huge McGinn hit.

Seemed clean!

Did anyone fight after it?

Small gathering by the benches but nothing happened, if anything the hit energized Detroit because they really dominated over-time after the Avs dominated regulation, Kronwall got the worst of the hit though with the way he hit the ice

I think McGinn knew exactly what he was doing there on that hit, he knew that he wouldn't be able to stand the brute force of the hit upright and taking it, so he ducked a bit and made Kronwall flip thus causing less impact on himself

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I can't find that list of the chances of landing which pick in the draft lottery that someone posted before the game? Not just the list of everyones chance of the top pick.

Can someone help me out?

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I know Hunwick gets a lot of flak around here, but he and EJ draws the toughest opposition, he plays 21:36 minutes on average and is a +5 on the year. That's pretty good numbers for a guy that's being asked to do way too much. He's a shinpad assassin when shooting the puck, but nobody's perfect. ;)

I'm not sure what O'Brien did to warrant the Sacco treatment but he's not 9 minutes/healthy scratch bad. He's a serviceable third pairing guy with some bad habits that aren't as bad as they used to be.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Captain and 6 million dollar man needs to produce offensively as well. Duchene and Parenteau is doing that every time.

Yeah, you didn't read the whole thread, did you? Duchene was once again on the ice for the oposition game winning goal.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I know Hunwick gets a lot of flak around here, but he and EJ draws the toughest opposition, he plays 21:36 minutes on average and is a +5 on the year. That's pretty good numbers for a guy that's being asked to do way too much. He's a shinpad assassin when shooting the puck, but nobody's perfect. ;)

I'm not sure what O'Brien did to warrant the Sacco treatment but he's not 9 minutes/healthy scratch bad. He's a serviceable third pairing guy with some bad habits that aren't as bad as they used to be.

He's better than O'Byrne or Zanon that's for sure. Zanon/O'Byrne can't make a pass to save their lives.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Yeah, you didn't read the whole thread, did you? Duchene was once again on the ice for the oposition game winning goal.

We need guys who can produce offensively. Landy/O'Reilly has been bad lately.

PAP and Duchene last 5 games combined: 4+4 and -8
Landy and O'Reilly last 5 games combined: 0+0 and -6

Yeah?

Landy and O'Reilly are so great, huh?

Last edited:

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
We need guys who can produce offensively. Landy/O'Reilly has been bad lately.

PAP and Duchene last 10 games combined: 4+4 and -8
Landy and O'Reilly last 10 games combined: 0+0 and -6

Yeah?

I think you meant last 5 games...

I expect more of Landy and O'Reilly offensivelly for sure. But also expect more of Duchene defensivelly too.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Honestly guys, we are in 30th place. We have an extremely unqualified coach. Lets not worry about the rest of the season. It is clear the players aren't.

ELE

Everybody Love Everybody!

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I'm not sure what O'Brien did to warrant the Sacco treatment but he's not 9 minutes/healthy scratch bad.

Since Sacco gave those minutes to Erik Johnson (who played 4 minutes more than any other game this season), I'm not going to complain.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Since Sacco gave those minutes to Erik Johnson (who played 4 minutes more than any other game this season), I'm not going to complain.

This, lets hope this is a sign of EJ being given a chance to play 25 minutes or more a night down the stretch. It sucks that Sacco is too dumb to give him that before now, but it will really give EJ a chance to show that he should get those minutes.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Those Ej highlights from his rookie yr make me sad and piss me off more that he's playing on the right side of the pp. looks like he has an elite shot from those clips

You know, I haven't even noticed that (When actually on the PP) hes played the right side instead of the left. ***** Sacco... :facepalm:

Edit... In my defense, he hasn't gotten much power-play time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Just saw the huge McGinn hit.

Seemed clean!

Did anyone fight after it?

No, there was a bit of a skirmish, but it was a tie game I believe at the time and McGinn popped back up and didn't appear hurt.

It was a lot like the Landy hit but McGinn saw him at the last second too. He saw where he was, looked down for a second, then looked back up at him and got his shoulder up at the last second to absorb the impact.

Kronwall is just insane at how quickly he closes on a guy like that. Ginner pretty much saw him the whole way and still couldn't get out of the way. It's like he's got a NOS valve or something. Puts it into ludicrous speed and freight trains guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad