GDT: Avs vs Vegas 7:30 MST Phone Edition.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
No one can judge Kaut based on tonight. He played less than six minutes. There’s no way to assess that one way or the other. Doesn’t help that the team kept taking stupid penalties.

As for Compher, as I’ve said before, all coaches have a blind spot type of player, and unfortunately Bednar is no exception—he just sees something in JTC that simply isn’t there. Hopefully he’s gone this offseason so that we don’t have to put up with this nonsense any longer than we have to.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
No one can judge Kaut based on tonight. He played less than six minutes. There’s no way to assess that one way or the other. Doesn’t help that the team kept taking stupid penalties.

As for Compher, as I’ve said before, all coaches have a blind spot type of player, and unfortunately Bednar is no exception—he just sees something in JTC that simply isn’t there. Hopefully he’s gone this offseason so that we don’t have to put up with this nonsense any longer than we have to.

Jared will just find another guy. Compher who when the team is healthy plays on the 4th line and on BOTH special teams. Unreal.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

I know Bednar doesn’t want to reward Kadri right now, but he’d be better in the JTC spot on the power play.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I do hope Sakic steps in this summer and removes this burden from our roster. Not that Compher is a bad player when he's playing 4th line RW but... he's a 4th line RW and he makes way too much money + Bednar has an infatuation with him getting PP minutes/SH minutes.

Here's to hoping, anyways.

Reactions: MarkT

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
We didn't deserve to win as big goals were allowed at prime times, but what did I tell ya lot about Dubnyk? He could realistically be slower than Giguere and I don't know how that's humanly possible...

Reactions: drhiii

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I mean call me crazy here, but if I’m Vegas, I’d be sweating right now. That’s a completely healthy Vegas team, at home, that didn’t look any better than Colorado. Avs are missing a slew of important players, and their starting goaltender. Add Rantanen, Saad, Donskoi, Grubauer and Byram and tell me this isn’t a different game... Dubnyk alone basically killed the Avs tonight.

Avs led in expected goals, corsi etc... obviously it doesn’t matter since a loss is a loss, but I expected much worse from a healthy Vegas team at home.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I only caught bits and pieces of the game but it looked like MAF stood on his head again against us, hard to win when a goalie goes full Ken Dryden on us.

That said, I did catch part of the EN and was beside myself seeing Compher out there with Mack and them. I don’t get what he’s done to warrant getting PP and extra attacker time out there. I don’t think he’s put together one full good game this year.

Also from what I’ve read here, it sounds like Kadri needs to be scratched for a game whether we’re healthy or not. He hasn’t done anything to help this team for over a month now. It doesn’t seem like being placed on the 3rd line got through to him either.

Hopefully we get Mikko and Gru back this weekend.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I mean call me crazy here, but if I’m Vegas, I’d be sweating right now. That’s a completely healthy Vegas team, at home, that didn’t look any better than Colorado. Avs are missing a slew of important players, and their starting goaltender. Add Rantanen, Saad, Donskoi, Grubauer and Byram and tell me this isn’t a different game... Dubnyk alone basically killed the Avs tonight.

Avs led in expected goals, corsi etc... obviously it doesn’t matter since a loss is a loss, but I expected much worse from a healthy Vegas team at home.

Yeah I hope everyone here can keep this loss in perspective. If we play like that, but replace guys like O'Brien, Sherwood and Dubnyk with Rantanen, Donskoi and Grubauer, we handily win that game. And that's not even mentioning Saad, Byram, MacDonald or EJ.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I'm not putting too much weight into any disappointing results while the team is this hobbled.
But regardless of that, Vegas has been fire of late. It's not like the Avs blew a game against Anaheim or something.

All that said, Dubnyk letting every 5th puck go by him ain't helping nobody.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
2xul23.gif

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
"However, we know we have to play better when they have their full lineup." Max Pacioretty

I said it on monday: Getting covid at the worst possible time cost us the division. But f*** that! At this point i want everyone on this team healthy and ready for the run. And hopefully this time everyone stays healthy.

Reactions: Mighty Makar

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Welp. 3 in a row. Goodbye division W! Put this stretch behind us and move on. We need to get back into the W column.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Wow. We really need Gru and Rantanen back. Can't win giving up 4/5 or scoring only 2. Even though Rantanen has probably been our MVP, I can't help but think this type of game gets turned on its ear by one big save.

Hopefully tomorrow?

Last edited:

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
There’s no point overreacting. We were missing like 40% of our regulars and it was still close in terms of flow of play. With good goaltending we still could have easily won the past three. I’m glad the team is facing some adversity before the playoffs. Let’s just hope we get some bodies back for R1

Reactions: avsfan09 and Zandar

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
"However, we know we have to play better when they have their full lineup." Max Pacioretty

I said it on monday: Getting covid at the worst possible time cost us the division. But f*** that! At this point i want everyone on this team healthy and ready for the run. And hopefully this time everyone stays healthy.

Not necessarily.

Vegas has 8 games left and 7 of them against teams trying to make the playoffs. The other is against the Sharks and we still have a game in hand and one head-to-head matchup.

The Avs have 9 games left and 8 of them are against teams that are out of it (4x San Jose / 4x LA) and one against Vegas.

I don't think we are out of it yet. They've won 10 in a row but they are due for a loss here and there down the stretch especially from a few desperate teams.

Reactions: Richard88

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Is EJ expected back for playoffs?

Really wish we could of grabbed a top 4 Rhd!

Toews - Makar
Girard - Graves
Byram? - Nemo
Macdonald Timmins

Solid depth but don't love Graves playing those minutes for playoffs

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Not necessarily.

Vegas has 8 games left and 7 of them against teams trying to make the playoffs. The other is against the Sharks and we still have a game in hand and one head-to-head matchup.

The Avs have 9 games left and 8 of them are against teams that are out of it (4x San Jose / 4x LA) and one against Vegas.

I don't think we are out of it yet. They've won 10 in a row but they are due for a loss here and there down the stretch especially from a few desperate teams.

The Avs have gotten zero help from anyone else in the division with Vegas lol. I don't expect that'll change.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Is EJ expected back for playoffs?

Really wish we could of grabbed a top 4 Rhd!

Toews - Makar
Girard - Graves
Byram? - Nemo
Macdonald Timmins

Solid depth but don't love Graves playing those minutes for playoffs
I doubt he is back, but even if he is, how good will he be? He’s definitely missed, though.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Backups and 3rd string goaltenders have now started 30% of the games for the Avs this season.

Colorado’s team save% is down to 12th worst in the league. The Blues are the only playoff team in the NHL with a worse save%.

If the Avs had Grubauer and Francouz healthy this year they’d probably sitting at 7, or 8 regulation losses right now imo.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

And as an Avs fan I'm worried that this team can never stay healthy. I'm not sure how much faith I have in this team to be healthy and stay healthy throughout the whole playoffs.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

They’re not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad