GDT: Avs vs Vegas 7:30 MST Phone Edition.

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
I really don't blame Kaut for not "coming to life" where he's expected to play five minutes and do...what exactly? He's not Logan O'Connor. If Bednar was going to do that he should've just thrown Middleton out there as a forward and let Kaut get meaningful minutes in the AHL.

Their handling of him continues to mystify me.

He really was in tough spot with bad teammates but I want to see more intensity from him, and Bednar probably also before he give him more room to succeed.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Silver lining time: I thought this was Soda's best game since coming back. He was dogged on the puck and put up a ton of shots, also threw his body around and laid some good hits on the forecheck.

Also, I thought this was Graves' best game in a while. He was winning puck battles, manhandling Vegas forecheckers, and moving the puck out of the zone fairly efficiently. Also, he scored a goal when he finally did what he never seems to do these days--he moved laterally before firing it. In what I think was just a few shifts before that, he just did that dumb thing he does far too often, slowly slid down the point on the left side and blindly fired an easily blocked shot, which was quickly sent the other way--killed what had previously been a very good offensive shift for the Avs. He's got to start using his head again when it comes to shot selection, but other than that major f***up I thought he was mostly okay.

I felt the same even before the goal. Thought he was solid.

Reactions: Pokecheque

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
That was a closer game than the score indicates. The difference was that Dubnyk let in a couple of softies and Vegas got bounces while we didn't. Even with 10 guys missing from the lineup we still won the possession and shot battle so I'm not overly concerned about Vegas as long as we can get healthy.

In terms of individual players, Graves was absolutely outstanding all game, even ignoring his goal. He was rubbing guys off pucks in the DZ and moving swiftly to get transitions going the other way. Promising performance.

Not surprised to see the 4th line get so few minutes, they started the game half asleep by taking two penalties which was just sloppy.

Kadri with yet another lacklustre night, highlighted by when he took half an hour to load up a wrister from the blueline that led to the 4-2 goal against.

View attachment 427717
You are being to kind. The only goal you can fault him on is the 2 on 1 and holy hell did he ever play that awful.

Reactions: Mr Zappalanche

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Glass half full: At least we don't have to like Dubnyk.
Some of us never started. I want him to have success when hes playing for the Avs but i'll never like him lol. I feel the same about Nino punk slashing ass. Solid player in Carolina but hes a punk and probably pisses all over the toilet seat at his moms house.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
When Dubnyk lifts the cup this year ! :sarcasm:
3lW0yXR.gif
No they’re saying Duuuubb

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Well, frankly they were starting to slump a little before COVID Pause Part Deux. They peaked with those landslide victories over the Wylde and Gotham Knights and after cruising for a while they started to lose their momentum, basically felt like they were having trouble getting up for the same goddamned opponents every night. Even I gotta admit by the time they dropped that contest against Minnesota in a blowout I was having a hard time maintaining interest. This division-only schedule, especially given how monotonous it became because of COVID-related rescheduling, really became an effin' chore.

I don't think this is an after-affect of the vaccine. Too many key injuries, too much rust, and an overall start-the-f***ing-playoffs-already malaise are causing this current slump. That and continued goaltending issues.

Anyway, my biggest concern coming out of this is on special teams. Once again I just don't like the choices Bednar and the staff are making. They're using the wrong players and employing tactics that are far too conservative.
Yes..... your final paragraph. Directly on target.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Considering the lineup we had the boys didn't play a bad game. It's really hard to keep focus when you have to play catch up after your goalie let in the first shot in every period. We are getting some guys back so just move on.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This team is fine right now they’re just getting terrible goaltending, and suffering from the COVID pause throwing off their mojo like it did last time.

It seems physically impossible for this team to win a game without Grubauer in net. Dubnyk and JJ can’t stop anything. That 4th goal Dubnyk gave up was just atrocious. I’ve never seen goaltender move that slowly to make a save.

I’m also getting pretty annoyed seeing multiple interviews with Dubnyk claiming he doesn’t need to do anything to prepare for games, because he’s played a lot of hockey in his life, just for him to give up early goals every game and look like complete shit early on.

The defense has been pretty bad lately too, that’s another big problem lately. Girard and Toews have been off their game for a while now. G making lots of careless turnovers and Toews just hasn’t been as aware as he usually is defensively.

Nemeth-Timmins has been a train wreck too. Just a really big liability on most of their shifts. TImmins with tons of turnovers and terrible positioning and the same with Nemeth, who I expected to play a lot better than he has.

I’d also really love for Kadri to quite diving and embellishing all the time. It’s really been pissing me off, because he constantly just gives up on a puck battle to flop to the ice or throw his head back on plays that aren’t penalties. If he would keep playing he’d win more battles and help the team a lot more when he’s not scoring.

This team should be fine if Grubauer comes back and plays well, but if that long break plus getting COVID throws off his game, I’m not sure this team can beat anyone.

Reactions: MarkT

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Anyway, my biggest concern coming out of this is on special teams. Once again I just don't like the choices Bednar and the staff are making. They're using the wrong players and employing tactics that are far too conservative.

The biggest problem with the PK by far is goaltending. If they get Grubauer back and he plays like he has this year, I think the PK will be fine.

Aside from that, Nemeth and Toews struggling lately, especially on the PK has been the next biggest issue IMO.

On the PP I think the issue is MacKinnon. He's been having Rantanen like games where he hasn't really been playing that well, but will then have a dominant shift here or there, or find a way to pot a goal.

He really hasn't been playing that well though. He's in that mode where if a play doesn't go the right way, or if someone doesn't pass to him, he throws his head back, pouts a little, and saunters off the ice slowly.

His zone entries haven't been as clean as they usually are, and he's been making too many careless passes as well.

Losing the puck twice in a row in the corner to ROR that gave the Blues their first goal which sparked the come back the other day. Or the 2-0 goal in the next game where he sent a soft, blind backhand pass to nobody that kept the puck in the zone for Schenn to score. Or the back breaking 4-1 goal in that game that came after he tried to casually skate out of the D zone with the puck, allowing Pietrangelo to easily poke it off his stick to hold it in the zone and score.

At times he looks like he thinks he's in a massive funk, but he's got a 14 game point streak. He just needs to stay focused and play hard the whole game. He hasn't been doing that. He's been taking shifts off and he was completely outworked by ROR two games in a row.

Just like the team in general, the PP runs through MacKinnon, and if he's on his game, the PP is clicking. If he's off, it's not clicking.

Reactions: Richard88

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Poor guy showed up in the league about 12 years too early. He's tailor made for today's league.
Yup... he'd have a much better career if he was coming up today for sure. He also would have been a 2nd rounder instead of a 7th.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
This team is fine right now they’re just getting terrible goaltending, and suffering from the COVID pause throwing off their mojo like it did last time.

It seems physically impossible for this team to win a game without Grubauer in net. Dubnyk and JJ can’t stop anything. That 4th goal Dubnyk gave up was just atrocious. I’ve never seen goaltender move that slowly to make a save.

I’m also getting pretty annoyed seeing multiple interviews with Dubnyk claiming he doesn’t need to do anything to prepare for games, because he’s played a lot of hockey in his life, just for him to give up early goals every game and look like complete shit early on.

The defense has been pretty bad lately too, that’s another big problem lately. Girard and Toews have been off their game for a while now. G making lots of careless turnovers and Toews just hasn’t been as aware as he usually is defensively.

Nemeth-Timmins has been a train wreck too. Just a really big liability on most of their shifts. TImmins with tons of turnovers and terrible positioning and the same with Nemeth, who I expected to play a lot better than he has.

I’d also really love for Kadri to quite diving and embellishing all the time. It’s really been pissing me off, because he constantly just gives up on a puck battle to flop to the ice or throw his head back on plays that aren’t penalties. If he would keep playing he’d win more battles and help the team a lot more when he’s not scoring.

This team should be fine if Grubauer comes back and plays well, but if that long break plus getting COVID throws off his game, I’m not sure this team can beat anyone.

The biggest problem with the PK by far is goaltending. If they get Grubauer back and he plays like he has this year, I think the PK will be fine.

Aside from that, Nemeth and Toews struggling lately, especially on the PK has been the next biggest issue IMO.

On the PP I think the issue is MacKinnon. He's been having Rantanen like games where he hasn't really been playing that well, but will then have a dominant shift here or there, or find a way to pot a goal.

He really hasn't been playing that well though. He's in that mode where if a play doesn't go the right way, or if someone doesn't pass to him, he throws his head back, pouts a little, and saunters off the ice slowly.

His zone entries haven't been as clean as they usually are, and he's been making too many careless passes as well.

Losing the puck twice in a row in the corner to ROR that gave the Blues their first goal which sparked the come back the other day. Or the 2-0 goal in the next game where he sent a soft, blind backhand pass to nobody that kept the puck in the zone for Schenn to score. Or the back breaking 4-1 goal in that game that came after he tried to casually skate out of the D zone with the puck, allowing Pietrangelo to easily poke it off his stick to hold it in the zone and score.

At times he looks like he thinks he's in a massive funk, but he's got a 14 game point streak. He just needs to stay focused and play hard the whole game. He hasn't been doing that. He's been taking shifts off and he was completely outworked by ROR two games in a row.

Just like the team in general, the PP runs through MacKinnon, and if he's on his game, the PP is clicking. If he's off, it's not clicking.

First off, excellent posts.

I want to reply to a few things.

I think we can win with JJ. He's not great, but the man had a shutout not too long ago.

I also agree that Avs media has been wayyyy overhyping Dubnyk. I think they just love that he'll speak openly, but watching what he says off the ice would come across very different if he were winning. Playing the way he is and watching him talk, I get the impression that he doesn't really care.

G and Toews need a break. I think we're just seeing the effects of how much they've played. It's like when a player comes in from College only being used to a college season - they start out strong but their play peters out towards the end of the year. Neither Girard or Toews have had to deal with these kind of minutes before. I think they're worn out and I'm not sure it's going to improve.

Nemeth-Timmins has indeed been bad, but I put that on Nemeth. I thought Timmins has been playing quite well, but in the defensive zone Nemeth is all over the place, which is throwing off Timmins. I watched a play in the last game where Nemeth inexplicably moved over to cover a guy on the right side, even though Timmins was already on that side. It forced Timmins to shift to the left and put him out of position. I think with the ways he's currently playing, if you put Timmins with a steady partner who didn't handle the puck like a grenade, he'd be much better.

Thank you! I'm so glad to see someone else say this about Kadri. Enough with the f***ing diving. I think I know his thought process - I'm not scoring, so I need to find a way to help the team. I'm not good enough defensively to be like Donskoi and still contribute without scoring, but I sure can try to draw penalties hurr durr. I'm not happy if we win a game by cheating. It sours the victory. I'm just glad the refs know Kadri's reputation and usually don't buy his bullshit.

As for MacKinnon, I think he agrees with a lot of posters here when they say "why the f*** are Compher and Kadri out there?". We all know he get frustrated when other players don't/can't play to his level, but I don't think it has anything to do with his point streak. I don't think he even cares about his point streak. I think he hates it when the team doesn't play well, and hates it even more when the team loses. He's the kind of player who thinks that his line should score every time they are on the ice, and that becomes extra true on the power play. And when it doesn't happen, and it's clearly someone's else's fault, he gets mad at them. I agree with you though he needs to focus on his own game.

Reactions: Foppa2118

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
First off, excellent posts.

I want to reply to a few things.

I think we can win with JJ. He's not great, but the man had a shutout not too long ago.

I also agree that Avs media has been wayyyy overhyping Dubnyk. I think they just love that he'll speak openly, but watching what he says off the ice would come across very different if he were winning. Playing the way he is and watching him talk, I get the impression that he doesn't really care.

G and Toews need a break. I think we're just seeing the effects of how much they've played. It's like when a player comes in from College only being used to a college season - they start out strong but their play peters out towards the end of the year. Neither Girard or Toews have had to deal with these kind of minutes before. I think they're worn out and I'm not sure it's going to improve.

Nemeth-Timmins has indeed been bad, but I put that on Nemeth. I thought Timmins has been playing quite well, but in the defensive zone Nemeth is all over the place, which is throwing off Timmins. I watched a play in the last game where Nemeth inexplicably moved over to cover a guy on the right side, even though Timmins was already on that side. It forced Timmins to shift to the left and put him out of position. I think with the ways he's currently playing, if you put Timmins with a steady partner who didn't handle the puck like a grenade, he'd be much better.

Thank you! I'm so glad to see someone else say this about Kadri. Enough with the f***ing diving. I think I know his thought process - I'm not scoring, so I need to find a way to help the team. I'm not good enough defensively to be like Donskoi and still contribute without scoring, but I sure can try to draw penalties hurr durr. I'm not happy if we win a game by cheating. It sours the victory. I'm just glad the refs know Kadri's reputation and usually don't buy his bullshit.

As for MacKinnon, I think he agrees with a lot of posters here when they say "why the f*** are Compher and Kadri out there?". We all know he get frustrated when other players don't/can't play to his level, but I don't think it has anything to do with his point streak. I don't think he even cares about his point streak. I think he hates it when the team doesn't play well, and hates it even more when the team loses. He's the kind of player who thinks that his line should score every time they are on the ice, and that becomes extra true on the power play. And when it doesn't happen, and it's clearly someone's else's fault, he gets mad at them. I agree with you though he needs to focus on his own game.

I see that fire that Foppa, Footer, Roy and Sakic had in burning inside him as well. I know those are THE 4. But I have no doubt when MacKinnon hoists the cup for us, his name will forever be linked to Champions like them.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Not necessarily.

Vegas has 8 games left and 7 of them against teams trying to make the playoffs. The other is against the Sharks and we still have a game in hand and one head-to-head matchup.

The Avs have 9 games left and 8 of them are against teams that are out of it (4x San Jose / 4x LA) and one against Vegas.

I don't think we are out of it yet. They've won 10 in a row but they are due for a loss here and there down the stretch especially from a few desperate teams.

Bump-bump-bump!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->