GDT: Avs vs Vegas 7:30 MST Phone Edition.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Didn't Vegas score in the first minute the last time the Avs beat them?

tenor.gif

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
This loss sucked, but the Avs were in it most of the game. You never want to use the injury excuse but the Colorado is missing (3) of it's top-five goal scores/three top-9 forwards. That's not exactly easy to overcome when your opponent is Las Vegas.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yikes.. If Joe knew EJ wouldn't be back that sucks he didn't do more than Nemo. Does he expect Byram to play top 4?

I think he’s going to roll with Graves in the top-4 the rest of the way.

It’s more of a figurehead position, because he’ll play his top-3 heavily and rotate the bottom-3 up separately. The ice-time distribution we saw last night is probably closer to what it will be in the playoffs, except with 2-3 more minutes for Girard and Toews.

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
I doubt he is back, but even if he is, how good will he be? He’s definitely missed, though.
I think it is funny, some of our new talented young defenseman certainly highlighted EJs flaws that have only gotten worse through age and injuries but seeing some of the D we have had to watch he is still valuable and effective when on the ice. Still not worth $6M anymore though.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
things seemed to be rolling along swimmingly until covid shut down that week , then they all got their shots and everyone now seems weak IMHO

Well, frankly they were starting to slump a little before COVID Pause Part Deux. They peaked with those landslide victories over the Wylde and Gotham Knights and after cruising for a while they started to lose their momentum, basically felt like they were having trouble getting up for the same goddamned opponents every night. Even I gotta admit by the time they dropped that contest against Minnesota in a blowout I was having a hard time maintaining interest. This division-only schedule, especially given how monotonous it became because of COVID-related rescheduling, really became an effin' chore.

I don't think this is an after-affect of the vaccine. Too many key injuries, too much rust, and an overall start-the-f***ing-playoffs-already malaise are causing this current slump. That and continued goaltending issues.

Anyway, my biggest concern coming out of this is on special teams. Once again I just don't like the choices Bednar and the staff are making. They're using the wrong players and employing tactics that are far too conservative.

Reactions: TheRandman

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Silver lining time: I thought this was Soda's best game since coming back. He was dogged on the puck and put up a ton of shots, also threw his body around and laid some good hits on the forecheck.

Also, I thought this was Graves' best game in a while. He was winning puck battles, manhandling Vegas forecheckers, and moving the puck out of the zone fairly efficiently. Also, he scored a goal when he finally did what he never seems to do these days--he moved laterally before firing it. In what I think was just a few shifts before that, he just did that dumb thing he does far too often, slowly slid down the point on the left side and blindly fired an easily blocked shot, which was quickly sent the other way--killed what had previously been a very good offensive shift for the Avs. He's got to start using his head again when it comes to shot selection, but other than that major f***up I thought he was mostly okay.

Reactions: MarkT

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I was very surprised by how little intensity there was on the ice for either team. I figured this was just a ramp up for a potential playoff series but didn't look like either team cared anywhere near as much as the fans did. Just another regular season game with short spurts of energy brought out by #29 on each team it seemed.

Reactions: MarkT

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
That was a closer game than the score indicates. The difference was that Dubnyk let in a couple of softies and Vegas got bounces while we didn't. Even with 10 guys missing from the lineup we still won the possession and shot battle so I'm not overly concerned about Vegas as long as we can get healthy.

In terms of individual players, Graves was absolutely outstanding all game, even ignoring his goal. He was rubbing guys off pucks in the DZ and moving swiftly to get transitions going the other way. Promising performance.

Not surprised to see the 4th line get so few minutes, they started the game half asleep by taking two penalties which was just sloppy.

Kadri with yet another lacklustre night, highlighted by when he took half an hour to load up a wrister from the blueline that led to the 4-2 goal against.

upload_2021-4-29_21-23-58.png

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I was very surprised by how little intensity there was on the ice for either team. I figured this was just a ramp up for a potential playoff series but didn't look like either team cared anywhere near as much as the fans did. Just another regular season game with short spurts of energy brought out by #29 on each team it seemed.
Vegas don't look very threatening at all without Reaves in the lineup. The only uncomfortable hit was when Carrier crunched Timmins on the near wall, but other than that they didn't seem interested in hitting much.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Vegas don't look very threatening at all without Reaves in the lineup. The only uncomfortable hit was when Carrier crunched Timmins on the near wall, but other than that they didn't seem interested in hitting much.

Yep. It was actually a bit out of character for the Avs, but they out-hit Vegas 34-16. Probably in large part because Reaves was out and Landeskog went Viking mode.

Reactions: TheRandman

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

My theory is that since they have zero depth to backfill for injuries (they slotted a middling rookie dman into the fourth line last night), they've decided a less physical game is the more prudent strategy to get out of regular season alive.

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
Dubnyk was pathetic.Three goals are on him, and on the 4th goal he looked hilariously bad. I really want Kaut to succeed but he was just lifeless for third game straight. Compher and Kadri as expected, pure trash. Makar was fantastic along with Mack,Landy and Graves.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Dubnyk was pathetic.Three goals are on him, and on the 4th goal he looked hilariously bad. I really want Kaut to succeed but he was just lifeless for third game straight. Compher and Kadri as expected, pure trash. Makar was fantastic along with Mack,Landy and Graves.

I really don't blame Kaut for not "coming to life" where he's expected to play five minutes and do...what exactly? He's not Logan O'Connor. If Bednar was going to do that he should've just thrown Middleton out there as a forward and let Kaut get meaningful minutes in the AHL.

Their handling of him continues to mystify me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad