GDT: Avs vs Sharks @ 8:30 MST

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't understand why people are so upset. That Mitchell goal was very lucky. This game was really destined for OT/SO.

What kind of statement is this? That's like saying "The Johnson goal was very lucky so the game was really destined to be a loss". A goal is a goal, Mitchell put the puck on net and McGinn re-directed it into the back of the net by getting good position in front of the net. I see nothing different about this goal than Johnson's goal other than the fact that Johnson's wasn't re-directed into the net.

I'm ok with the 1 point, but this team definitely should have closed out the Sharks in the final 2 minutes

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
Got 2/4 points on the hardest road trip in hockey. Sucks that we could've had all 4 but in reality, we probably deserved to lose both games but the team showed lots of heart coming back down 2-0 in LA and down 3-2 tonight.

Hopefully we play well against Chicago and then dominate the 7 game home stand against sub-par competition.

Ended up gaining a point on Minnesota tonight so 4 points up with 3 games in hand is awesome.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
What kind of statement is this? That's like saying "The Johnson goal was very lucky so the game was really destined to be a loss". A goal is a goal, Mitchell put the puck on net and McGinn re-directed it into the back of the net by getting good position in front of the net. I see nothing different about this goal than Johnson's goal other than the fact that Johnson's wasn't re-directed into the net.

I'm ok with the 1 point, but this team definitely should have closed out the Sharks in the final 2 minutes

Still we are one of the best teams to keep the lead. I wouldn't complain about it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Still we are one of the best teams to keep the lead. I wouldn't complain about it.

True, but against the top teams we have to find a way to close them out. It'll have to happen in the playoffs so they can learn from this mistake early on and adjust accordingly hopefully. Fingers crossed for at least 1 new defenseman by then to shoulder some of the burden along with Johnson and Hejda.

As the above poster said, if we can get a win against Chicago then dominate the 7 game home-stand against inferior competition, we should set ourselves up nicely for a playoff spot and potentially a run at the division title.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Got 2/4 points on the hardest road trip in hockey. Sucks that we could've had all 4 but in reality, we probably deserved to lose both games but the team showed lots of heart coming back down 2-0 in LA and down 3-2 tonight.

Hopefully we play well against Chicago and then dominate the 7 game home stand against sub-par competition.

Ended up gaining a point on Minnesota tonight so 4 points up with 3 games in hand is awesome.

The 7 game home stand could turn out to be the Avs turning point for the season, either positive or negative.

If we can beat CHI next game, we'll be 24-10-3 entering into the Home Stand.

If we go something like 5-1-1 or 6-1 during the home stand. Were looking at a 29-11-4 record which would likely move us to 6 or 7 points ahead of PHX, and Minny. And probably 3-4 points ahead of Vancouver.

If we got something like 2-5 in the Home stand though. Minny, PHX, and VAN all probably pass us and then were probably sitting on the outside looking in.

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
Going into the shark tank and forgetting to show up for the 2nd I'll take a point. The avs just don't match up well the against the sharks, their bread and butter is the cycle/board work and the avs have no answer to it. This can be fixed by coaching and I'd imagine Roy will have a lot of footage to show the defense on how to neutralize that. It's not just the defense tho, Duchene like to work from the corner and the sharks D had him pinned on the wall all game long. He should of dished the puck faster.

Varly was on top of his game tonight, no matter what the score says he basically stole us a point.

EJ continuing to put up points, 4 goals away from his career high of 10 and on pace for 34 points. Is it just a hot streak or has he finally found his offensive game? Not sure but I'm liking this EJ.

Oh I forgot Barrie, moving the puck with confidence and creating chances on and off the puck. His defensive was solid tonight as well. Where are all the haters now?

Yeah, it wasn't perfect, but the overall trend is good, and they are learning.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Surely the post could fire that dumbass ginger and replace him with another writer that knows hockey. I'm sure they could find anyone off the street in canada that could fill his position. What I hate about dater most is that he always has to say "I'm not a fan and I'm just writing about what I'm seeing because cheerleading is not cool in the journalistic world." Who ****ing cares dude.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
19,6 seconds...

It sucks but the Avs deserve credit for that 3rd period and the way they battled back.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
True, but against the top teams we have to find a way to close them out. It'll have to happen in the playoffs so they can learn from this mistake early on and adjust accordingly hopefully. Fingers crossed for at least 1 new defenseman by then to shoulder some of the burden along with Johnson and Hejda.

I agree and I wouldn't worry about it. Roy and Sakic knows what It takes to win the Stanley Cup, they wouldn't go to playoffs with this defense, unless they believe we don't have any chance winning the Stanley Cup(Which I doubt).

As the above poster said, if we can get a win against Chicago then dominate the 7 game home-stand against inferior competition, we should set ourselves up nicely for a playoff spot and potentially a run at the division title.

Run at division title? I like the optimism, but Chicago is pretty much running with it. It would be unbelievable achievement for our team to win Division title after being second worst team in the league last season. I'm fine with making the playoffs, that alone is great start for Roy&Sakic. My priorities are still making playoffs, I don't really care If It's 1st round exit or whatever. We are still winners in my books, If we make it to playoffs. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

car

Mar 1, 2008
They don't do video on the road and there hasn't been audio the last couple times. I haven't found it either.

You might check the Altitude Sports website. Sometimes they post it there if it's an away game. Sorry but I don't know how to post the link (or quote things either apparently).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I didn't even know to look there. If they make the videos why don't they post them on the Avs site? The post game presser in LA is there too. Anyway, good to know!

I love how Roy has these random rants he has lined up waiting to go that he just drops during the pressers. Like the one about Hitchcock and the one about the three stars and now the one about Dater's blog. :laugh:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I agree and I wouldn't worry about it. Roy and Sakic knows what It takes to win the Stanley Cup, they wouldn't go to playoffs with this defense, unless they believe we don't have any chance winning the Stanley Cup(Which I doubt).

Run at division title? I like the optimism, but Chicago is pretty much running with it. It would be unbelievable achievement for our team to win Division title after being second worst team in the league last season. I'm fine with making the playoffs, that alone is great start for Roy&Sakic. My priorities are still making playoffs, I don't really care If It's 1st round exit or whatever. We are still winners in my books, If we make it to playoffs. :)

It is a little optimistic, but a win against the Hawks and then going something like 5-1-1 on this 7 game home stand could potentially put us only a couple points behind the Hawks, and their injuries are starting to pile up. Not saying I think they'll win it, but they definitely have a shot if they can do well over the next 8 games. I think if we do well, by then we'll have passed the Blues for 2nd in the division

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Under Sacco: 7 goals in 126 games.
Under Roy: 6 goals in 36 games.

Obviously Johnson's pace over these last 2 weeks won't keep up, but it would be lovely if he could break 10 goals and 40 points.

I don't get why people are mad that the Avs lost tonight. They were 2 minutes away from getting nothing. Team battled hard and lost to a Powerhouse in a shootout. No shame in that.

but but but Sacco wasnt the problem. People still believe Sacco was not the issue here. Hasnt every Av player more or less take subtle jabs at Sacco? Johnson himself didnt agree with the dump n chase

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
It is a little optimistic, but a win against the Hawks and then going something like 5-1-1 on this 7 game home stand could potentially put us only a couple points behind the Hawks, and their injuries are starting to pile up. Not saying I think they'll win it, but they definitely have a shot if they can do well over the next 8 games. I think if we do well, by then we'll have passed the Blues for 2nd in the division
Winning games is great
Winning our division... Priceless
And fairly un achievable this season. Sure Chico could have a monumental meltdown but that's silly, and we rightly should be targeting a playoff spot. I'm happy to see us improve so much in this last bit of losing, imagine what us playing well, ie defending well and scoring pp and 5 on 5 would look like?
We might not be mentally tough enough to win 12 out of the next 14, but we could go 10-4. Winning at home against the lower half is a must for us to become a dominant team. Doing it now allows us to focus on the things we must do to be a very good team. Failure just confirms we are a talented immature team growing but not nature enough to separate from the pack of good western teams.

What I liked in last roady;
A pp goals keep coming
B we battled back against two playoff bound teams in LA and SJ
C Landy scored
D Barrie improved

What are we lacking? ( To be great)
A top defense
B " killer" instinct that wants more goals than just a winning score
C confidence in one another
ie passing vs banzai one on team plays from some players

Ad

Upcoming events