GDT: Avs vs Pens | March 4th, 2015 | 8 PM MT | The Shining of Alex Tanguay's Bald

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Poor MacKinnon got the cold shoulder from Sid

Sid probably realized he was having a garbage game tonight.

I wonder who at the end of their careers ultimately will go down as the better player: Crosby or Malkin. It may be a bit unfair given I don't think Crosby has been the same player since his concussions, nor will he ever be the same player. But when Malkin decides to physically impose himself as he did tonight in the 3rd, you better pray you got a good goaltender because the defence sure as hell isn't gonna stop him.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs have been playing very well the last ten games, including six wins in the last nine games. The only real dud was the game away against Predators. Other than that, they're in every game. They're better at winning the puck and better at preventing scoring chances. All this without their number one defenseman.

It's a bit unfortunate that now the team is playing well they haven't gotten the bounces and lost some games where they deserved a better faith but to use a hockey cliche, it's a process. As long as you play winning hockey, you'll win your fair share of hockey games in the long run. I'd rather go into next season knowing they can play good hockey instead of getting wins on the back of Varlamov.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Watching highlights, based on that Barrie had hell of a game offensively. He is Electrifying especially playing with Mack. I love watching those guys play together. Great pair.

and how about Iginla's slapper? Great goal 1-0.

3-1, great goal by Landy, I can't believe career third liner:sarcasm: pulled such a move.. Maybe that's why defenseman got confused as well :D

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Avs have been playing very well the last ten games, including six wins in the last nine games. The only real dud was the game away against Predators. Other than that, they're in every game. They're better at winning the puck and better at preventing scoring chances. All this without their number one defenseman.

It's a bit unfortunate that now the team is playing well they haven't gotten the bounces and lost some games where they deserved a better faith but to use a hockey cliche, it's a process. As long as you play winning hockey, you'll win your fair share of hockey games in the long run. I'd rather go into next season knowing they can play good hockey instead of getting wins on the back of Varlamov.

Finally we are starting to see what this team is capable of. Mostly it's because our best players woke up.. Duchene, MacKinnon, Landy and ROR has been on different level last 20 games or so.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I don't think Mitchell will be on the 4th line anytime soon. Roy said in the presser he matched him against Crosby tonight. He likes that line.

I really don't get the complaints about Mitchell... His line was great last night. They played against Crosby almost the entire time.

And not only they limited him, they also generated some offense (hell, they even scored a goal). Obviously Everberg was the best player, but Tanguay AND Mitchell played really well last night.

About Caron, the way i see it, he is a guy that we'll have to show that he can keep up with Duchene. To me he looked like a player that is top 6 or bust.

So, he will need to show that he has some puck skills to go along with his size, otherwise i don't think he will be a good fit on the bottom 6. That is my first impression of him.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I thought it was 2 way tie between Landy and ROR for our best player last night. Landy gets the nod though for dat goal.

Every forward looked good outside of Duchene and Mitchell. Cliche always looks bad so I just don't mention him.

I thought the D played a great game. Even Brad Stuart looked fine and you all know what I think of Brad Stuart.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
About Caron, the way i see it, he is a guy that we'll have to show that he can keep up with Duchene. To me he looked like a player that is top 6 or bust.

So, he will need to show that he has some puck skills to go along with his size, otherwise i don't think he will be a good fit on the bottom 6. That is my first impression of him.
I saw the exact opposite. He looked like a guy who doesn't belong in the top 6, but could carve out a career in the bottom 6 if he wants too.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I saw the exact opposite. He looked like a guy who doesn't belong in the top 6, but could carve out a career in the bottom 6 if he wants too.

I could be way off base, but I think if you have size and aren't completely useless with your stick the only think preventing someone from sticking around as a bottom 6 player is desire to work your ass off and be physical. Everything else in that role pretty much can be learned.

On the contrary, you either have top 6 skill or you don't.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

It was his first game, so i won't be making any judgments yet.

But from the little i saw last night, he doesn't seem to be the kind of player that brings a lot of energy and if he doesn't play special teams, that might not be a nice combination for the bottom 6.

So, i get a sense that if Caron doesn't have enough skill to be on the top 6, or even top 9, it may not work out for him.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Landeskog's goal was very nice, so I am not trying to take anything way from it, but remember that is Pouliot who's defensive awareness is less than Stefan Elliott's and Greg Zanon's.

I don't think Mitchell will be on the 4th line anytime soon. Roy said in the presser he matched him against Crosby tonight. He likes that line.
Is Roy correct here? I swear I though our Malkin's line was matched up with Penguins Malkin every time while the Landeskog beast line was out there for Crosby.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Nothing new here, but my God is Cliche ever bad. Might be the worst 'regular' in the NHL today.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Landeskog's goal was very nice, so I am not trying to take anything way from it, but remember that is Pouliot who's defensive awareness is less than Stefan Elliott's and Greg Zanon's.

Is Roy correct here? I swear I though our Malkin's line was matched up with Penguins Malkin every time while the Landeskog beast line was out there for Crosby.
Roy said post game he matched ROR against Malkin and Mitchell against Crosby. Malkin came on a line change and stole the puck from Mitchell for his goal.

Mitchell is a very frustrating player, but that line is playing well. I'd argue that's in spite of Mitchell and his recent play.

The disturbing thing is that Duchene's line was matched up against the Penguins 3rd line, and yet that line was pinned in it's own end most of the night.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Even when Mitchell doesn't play well the line most often seem to do well. Tanguay and Everberg working hard and playing smart has them being effective. I don't think Mitchell was that big of a disaster last night. He was ok, but made a few mistakes with the puck. The line as a whole was fine, with solid cycling.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
- Good game, the Avs played really well especially in the first two periods

- That goalie interference call was BS, even Fleury didn't protest

- Landy's goal was nice

- When Malkin turns it on he is so much fun to watch. Nice assist by Johnny Malkin on his goal :sarcasm:

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Didn't see the game last night, but love reading that Landeskog is playing well. He can be such a punching bag around here.

As Avs fans, we're pretty lucky to have a Captain who is 22 years old, capable of putting up 60+ points, and fighting guys like Shea Weber. That's pretty damn rare. The fact that he is a tremendous defensive player just makes it all the sweeter. So happy he is locked up long term.

Now maybe O'Reilly is having so much fun centering Landeskog and MacKinnon that he wants to sign long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad