GDT: Avs vs Pens | March 4th, 2015 | 8 PM MT | The Shining of Alex Tanguay's Bald

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Hishon was good tonight. Good for him. Hope he strings together some good games and Roy signs him.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
On another note: I loved how Hishon looked. Caron was pretty invisible to me, but Hishon seemed to have a lot of jump tonight and wasn't trying to do too much to impress Roy. He simply did what Roy asked of him. Get the puck in deep, get in hard on the forecheck, get pucks on net and be responsible defensively. He did all of that.

If he can keep it up for a couple games, and Mitchell continues to suck, they may have to switch lines

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think the posters saying Caron was invisible is because Duchene was so bad.

Caron will never be a player to make his own offense, but Duchene lost practically every faceoff and puck battle to get zero zonal time and forechecking Iginla was also invisible apart from his goal because of this). I specifically was looking at Caron tonight and he brought his A game in work ethic and is a very underrated skater for his size. Skated as fast as he could back and forth to match with Duchene. Again this is just one game of viewing him so I thought he looked great (compared to Talbot). One thing I dislike, which Bruins fans mentioned, was his puck skills in the corners. He didn't look that good concerning just this category.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
They always seem to play the Pens well. Don't know why. Is it focus, effort? The Pens try to nap through it? I don't know. Good to see a game like this though, everyone did well for the most part. They didn't let up, was a good team win.

Landy's line was great but what a play by him to seal the game. They could have been in trouble there. Landy matched exactly what Malkin had done minutes before. Really feel like he's taken on the team and starting to give them an identity with his play when he plays like that. Really, really good to see. He's grown so much this year even if the points aren't there.

Caron needs some time to get comfortable. He's not top 6 material but he skates and works hard. Maybe there will be a place for him somewhere in the lineup. Certainly no worse than Talbot with Duchene. They need to try and involve him a touch on that line too.

Hishon surpassed my expectations. He made good things happen. The biggest thing with his is consistency, he needs to keep playing like that. I do think he should be at 3C at least.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Well...

I missed pretty much all of the game from the mid-2nd on...our 2nd cat had some sort of "accident" and my fiancée and I spent the better part of the last 45 minutes cleaning it up....

Not fun, I've got cat scratches all over my arms and chest, one nasty one on my neck because I had to hold her while we cleaned her (she has thick hair and this "accident" was just all tangled up in it--completely fresh litter box as well because we had just changed it less than 2 hours prior to this happening)....

So, I don't have a lot of time to go back through the thread, because I was supposed to be in bed already (I work early tomorrow), but can I get some highlights?

I see on the Statsheet that Landeskog had a Captain-worthy game. How did O'Reilly do? How did Duchene do with his new linemate? How was Hishon? Based on this, do we believe he's sticking around?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Roy had some nice things to say about Caron and Hishon in the presser. He said he thinks Caron will do well with Duchene and Iginla, and he played well tonight. He said he thought Hishon played really well, and brought some speed to the 4th line.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Landy was a beast, you need to see the highlight of his goal. That line was good, no complaints. Hishon will be around for a while. As TMV said and I agree, I have no idea who on earth could be called up to replace him anyway. Duchene's line was probably the worst, disjointed. Caron was fine, he worked hard. Needs time to see.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Hishon can bring that same speed and skill to the third line as well. Maybe we'll see that in a few games.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Well...

I missed pretty much all of the game from the mid-2nd on...our 2nd cat had some sort of "accident" and my fiancée and I spent the better part of the last 45 minutes cleaning it up....

Not fun, I've got cat scratches all over my arms and chest, one nasty one on my neck because I had to hold her while we cleaned her (she has thick hair and this "accident" was just all tangled up in it--completely fresh litter box as well because we had just changed it less than 2 hours prior to this happening)....

So, I don't have a lot of time to go back through the thread, because I was supposed to be in bed already (I work early tomorrow), but can I get some highlights?

I see on the Statsheet that Landeskog had a Captain-worthy game. How did O'Reilly do? How did Duchene do with his new linemate? How was Hishon? Based on this, do we believe he's sticking around?

Landeskog was not just the best Av on the ice, he was the best player on the ice. O'Reilly wasn't far behind. Both had outstanding games. Evgeni Malkin decided to wake up in the 3rd and almost single-handedly tied the game for the Penguins when down 2-0.

Duchene was quiet all night, which in turn made Caron and Iginla also look bad.

Hishon was better than I expected. Played with lots of jump, did exactly what Roy told him to do i.e. get pucks in deep, forecheck hard, get pucks on net, be smart defensively. Would be nice to see him with two players than can actually handle a puck, though.

Mitchell was hot garbage tonight but that's nothing new given he's arguably been the worst forward on the team for the last ~3 months. IF Hishon can string together a couple good games, I'd love to see Mitchell demoted to 4th line. He needs to wake up. Could have had 2-3 goals tonight but went Full-Malkin instead.

Defence I thought played very well tonight. Malkin, not the Pens, turned it on in the 3rd and was giving every player on the ice fits until Landeskog scored arguably the goal of the season on a one-on-one vs Pouliot. Made him look stupid and probably made Pens fans wish he was in the AHL developing lol. Textbook on how not to play a forward on a one-on-one

Varly was solid. MacK was solid as well. Everberg was great in my opinion. Man does that guy win a lot of battles just by being smart. I can't wait until he fully understands how to best use his size

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Hishon can bring that same speed and skill to the third line as well. Maybe we'll see that in a few games.

I wonder how the 4th line would look, in games, if it was:

McLeod-Hishon-Briere?

I mean Cliche adds absolutely nothing to that line, Briere couldn't be any worse...and he can still finish from time-to-time.

I think it'd be something that might be worth a look.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I wonder how the 4th line would look, in games, if it was:

McLeod-Hishon-Briere?

I mean Cliche adds absolutely nothing to that line, Briere couldn't be any worse...and he can still finish from time-to-time.

I think it'd be something that might be worth a look.

Tanguay-Hishon-Everbeast
McLeod-Mitchell-Heard

Cliche sent to the KHL.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Landy was a beast, you need to see the highlight of his goal. That line was good, no complaints. Hishon will be around for a while. As TMV said and I agree, I have no idea who on earth could be called up to replace him anyway. Duchene's line was probably the worst, disjointed. Caron was fine, he worked hard. Needs time to see.

Does anyone have a highlight of the goal? A .gif?

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
fairly soon I think/hope we'll see a lineup of:
landeskog-o'reilly-mackinnon
everberg-duchene-iginla
tanguay-hishon-caron
McLeod-Mitchell-cliché/briere

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
RL, I'll find you a highlight of Landy's goal. Also, Evs set up a really nice/easy tap in goal that was disallowed for "goalie interference". Total BS. Would have been worse if it wasn't 3-1.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Barrie with the most ice time tonight. Nice to see in a game that wasn't comeback mode or heavy on the PP. Hejda at 16 minutes again. I know he took the one penalty but they are easing on him still.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Poor MacKinnon got the cold shoulder from Sid

"Sid was my favorite player growing up and we're buddies, and it's always fun to play against him," MacKinnon said. "He's a little bit more serious than most of the buddies I play against. You usually can talk to your friends, but he's all business on the ice."

How so?

"I just said, 'Hey,' and he looked at me and ignored me," MacKinnon said. "He's pretty serious, but that's OK. I don't know if he's mad at me or what. I'll have to see."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad