• Jonathan Drouin the rest of his NHL career

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • I have a little bit of diarrhea in my pants

Votes: 37 58.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Bedard doesn't seem to me like a Crosby, McDavid, or even Matthews level prospect. His skating and size combo is lacking a little bit.

To me he looks a lot more like Patrick Kane level (and stylistically) or even like a Jack Hughes.

MoreLikeTurdCrapley

Jun 30, 2019
1697825626963.png

Anyone else sick of this kid?
(Stolen from Facebook)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dont really know what else people thought Bedard was going to do as a rookie. He had a bad game against us but so did the entire Chicago lineup. He's clearly the best player on that team already and has virtually no support.

I also feel like people are forgetting McDavids start to his NHL career where he had 1 Goal, no assists, 7 shots, and was a -5 in his first 4 games as well.

Bedard has all the looks of a generational talent. It's just even for the very best players, it's an adjustment period to play in the NHL. Especially at 18 years old playing 25+ year old frown men.

I said before the year started that Bedard would hit ~85 points and he hasn't done anything yet for me to change my predictions on him.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I dont really know what else people thought Bedard was going to do as a rookie. He had a bad game against us but so did the entire Chicago lineup. He's clearly the best player on that team already and has virtually no support.

I also feel like people are forgetting McDavids start to his NHL career where he had 1 Goal, no assists, 7 shots, and was a -5 in his first 4 games as well.

Bedard has all the looks of a generational talent. It's just even for the very best players, it's an adjustment period to play in the NHL. Especially at 18 years old playing 25+ year old frown men.

I said before the year started that Bedard would hit ~85 points and he hasn't done anything yet for me to change my predictions on him.

Yeah, no reason to say anything bad about the kid lol.

The hype machine is legit on the annoying side though.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah, no reason to say anything bad about the kid lol.

The hype machine is legit on the annoying side though.

I mean, people literally complain all the time about how the NHL doesn't market its star players or don't do enough to try and push the game. Now they're actually doing it with the leagues next big superstar, and people complain.

Doesn't make any sense at all.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I mean, people literally complain all the time about how the NHL doesn't market its star players or don't do enough to try and push the game. Now they're actually doing it with the leagues next big superstar, and people complain.

That's fair lol

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Am I the only one who now completely trusts Georgiev everytime opponent shoot or breakaway? Not gonna lie, I haven't felt that since Varly's 2013-14 season. Whenever the other team was on a breakaway with Kuemper or Grubauer you know that was mostly going in. Georgie is so calm and poise in the net.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Why is this board obsessing over Berard

He's a generational talent, of course he's going to get media hype

He's a rookie going up against MacKinnon-Rantanen-Whoever-Makar-Toews, of course he's going to get shut down

This place is weird

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

I mean, there has to be another way to "market your stars" than this breathless, fawning hype that sets him up for failure. The expectations for Bedard among lots of fans are so far from realistic precisely because of the way the press has talked about him for the last year. It's gotten to the point where if he "only" gets 60 points people will see him as a bust, which is terribly unfair to him considering that those would be pretty amazing numbers for an 18 year old. IMO the NHL is doing him a grave disservice by "marketing" him in this way. There has got to be a better way to strike that balance for the NHL than just setting a bunch of unrealistic expectations for him early in the season.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
I mean, there has to be another way to "market your stars" than this breathless, fawning hype that sets him up for failure. The expectations for Bedard among lots of fans are so far from realistic precisely because of the way the press has talked about him for the last year. It's gotten to the point where if he "only" gets 60 points people will see him as a bust, which is terribly unfair to him considering that those would be pretty amazing numbers for an 18 year old. IMO the NHL is doing him a grave disservice by "marketing" him in this way. There has got to be a better way to strike that balance for the NHL than just setting a bunch of unrealistic expectations for him early in the season.

I agree with you in terms of practicality, but as a form of shadenfreuden entertainment, I love what the NHL is doing here. Make these "stars" earn it in the trial by fire!

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

I got to be honest go watch 18 year old McDavid and Crosby, and then go watch Bedard. 97 and 87 were simply better at age 18. Crosby dropped 102 points as a rookie in a much harder time to score. McDavid looked crazy good and unfortunately broke his leg.

Bedard has talent, but I'd say he's on a Jack Hughes level. Which is elite, but I'm not sure I'm seeing generational at this point.

Basically the hype and the play aren't matching up for me at this point. The amount of coverage he's been getting is bat shit insane. We'll see where he goes but I'm not just blown away like I was when I saw Crosby and McDavid as rookies.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Almost as perfect a game as you can have. Everything was good except for a few players who cant accept a pass. Thats legit the only gripe tonight. Avs dominated no thanks to @Sea Eagles
Mate, I think it's a given I expect AVS to win every game we go into, and I'll always vocalise it haha. We are by far the best team in the NHL. I honestly don't think Vegas are anywhere near our level, and they are probably the closest.

Anyways, 4-0-0 to start, while we are slowly building combinations and chemistry (heck, the lines aren't even set yet). But having a 4 goal average FOR, and a 1 goals average AGAINST in that span, I'm a happy boy.

But then again, I expected this. Winners are winners, and AVS won't accept a 7th overall finish two years straight. That's beneath us. Cream always rises to the top, and mate, we are starting to float !

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I got to be honest go watch 18 year old McDavid and Crosby, and then go watch Bedard. 97 and 87 were simply better at age 18. Crosby dropped 102 points as a rookie in a much harder time to score. McDavid looked crazy good and unfortunately broke his leg.

Bedard has talent, but I'd say he's on a Jack Hughes level. Which is elite, but I'm not sure I'm seeing generational at this point.

Basically the hype and the play aren't matching up for me at this point. The amount of coverage he's been getting is bat shit insane. We'll see where he goes but I'm not just blown away like I was when I saw Crosby and McDavid as rookies.
Overall I agree with your post, but Crosbys rookie year was an incredibly generous season for offensive players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad