• Jonathan Drouin the rest of his NHL career

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • I have a little bit of diarrhea in my pants

Votes: 37 58.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Tatar looked good on the top line. I thought Drouin looked good with Wood and Colton even though the goal got waived off it was still a good play. Wood and Colton plays a simple game fits well with Drouin.

I think it's because Nate and Mikko want to carry the puck and make plays just like Drouin does, so he has to defer to them. He was getting more shooting chances than playmaking chances on that line.

But Colton and Wood don't need the puck, they're mostly snipers, and forecheckers, which allows Drouin to carry the puck more and make plays like he did for Wood's goal that got waived off.

These lines make more sense for Drouin, but the same goal is accomplished by moving Mikko to RyJo's line, and Nuke to Nate and Drouin's line. This would also allow Drouin to carry the puck more and make plays, as well as give RyJo someone who can help drive the play.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I thought Athanasiou was the only Blackhawk's player that looked good.

He always looks good against us, going back to his Detoilet days. One day he'll be an Av, purely based off his skating.

He kinda has a rep of being difficult. As in he thinks he's better than he is, but I did think we'd grab him as a rental once or twice.
AA has always been a guy I thought the Avs could use as a third line scorer. I just can't get past the Detroit connection, but that didn't stop me from absolutely loving the hell out of Helm while he was here. If AA were to be scooped up at the deadline some year, I wouldn't hate it depending on the cost.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Also is it just me or did MacKinnon and Rantanen made it their personal mission to dangle Bedard everytime they have the puck?

There's an Alpha element with the stars of the league and the young stars. Saw it with Crosby, even Forsberg went after him. Saw it with Jordan and Kobe in the Last Dance doc.

Hell you can see it in that Chimp Empire doc on Netflix, where the Alpha decides he needs to go after the up and coming Alpha. It's just in our nature.

Nate for sure wanted to have a good game and shut down the kid. He's the Alpha right now.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think it's because Nate and Mikko want to carry the puck and make plays just like Drouin does, so he has to defer to them. He was getting more shooting chances than playmaking chances on that line.

But Colton and Wood don't need the puck, they're mostly snipers, and forecheckers, which allows Drouin to carry the puck more and make plays like he did for Wood's goal that got waived off.

These lines make more sense for Drouin, but the same goal is accomplished by moving Mikko to RyJo's line, and Nuke to Nate and Drouin's line. This would also allow Drouin to carry the puck more and make plays, as well as give RyJo someone who can help drive the play.

I do think Ryjo & Drouin could work too.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I do think Ryjo & Drouin could work too.

Possibly, they're both smart players, but it's not my first preference. They'll need a worker type with some wheels like Val or Lehky on the other wing though.

I just hope they put Mikko and RyJo together for a sustained period of time at some point to build some chemistry before the playoffs. They're going to need to split up Nate and Mikko at some point in the post season, just like they did the Cup year.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Serious question. Are fan's here and Jared Bednar upset with Drouin's performance or are they that impressed with Tartar's that they want this change?

I still think the way to go is:

Drouin-MacKinnon-Nichushkin
Lehkonen-Johnansen-Rantanen
Wood-Colton-Tartar
Olofsson-Cogliano-O'Connor

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Serious question. Are fan's here and Jared Bednar upset with Drouin's performance or are they that impressed with Tartar's that they want this change?

I still think the way to go is:

Drouin-MacKinnon-Nichushkin
Lehkonen-Johnansen-Rantanen
Wood-Colton-Tartar
Olofsson-Cogliano-O'Connor
I don’t know about everyone else but I thought they were both noticeably better when they had their lines swapped.

Drouin can have the puck and be the playmaker on the 3rd line with Colton doing the heavy lifting defensively. Also doesn’t have the pressure of playing up to Mack’s standards on the 3rd line. He’s struggled with anxiety and mental health in the past so give him a lower pressure role

Tatar has consistently produced at a complementary top 6 level (in the regular season) for years which cannot be said about Drouin. He’s not a play driver though and can’t carry the offensive load when paired with two guys who aren’t exactly offensive playdrivers themselves

yeaher

May 3, 2019
We are gonna win the Cup if we have a healthy team entering the playoffs, that includes El Capitan. But this team has enough. Maybe add a 4-5 D if cheap and available at the deadline.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Im getting the same kinda confidence with George that I legit havent had since Varly 13-14 season or Craig Anderson year 1.

George is better than them

We are gonna win the Cup if we have a healthy team entering the playoffs, that includes El Capitan. But this team has enough. Maybe add a 4-5 D if cheap and available at the deadline.

I agree. As long as Johansen and Drouin perform on certain level.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Also is it just me or did MacKinnon and Rantanen made it their personal mission to dangle Bedard everytime they have the puck?
”One of my heroes growing up was Joe Sakic, and near the end of my rookie season, we played the Avalanche in Colorado. I remember we were in a shootout and Dwayne Roloson was in net for us that night. I was standing at the far end of our bench and Joe was at the far end of the Avs’ bench.
All of a sudden Joe leaned over and said to me, ’Hey, kid, where should I shoot on Robson?’
I just looked at him, shocked that he would speak to me, let alone ask me where to shoot on my own goalie to win the game. I didn’t say a word.
When it was his turn in the shootout, he hopped over the boards, came down the ice, and took his patented wrist shot at Roloson’s low blocker. Sure enough, it went in. And as he skated by our bench, he winked at me! I sat there, speechless that I had just witnessed a guy I idolized pull off a move like that.”

– Andrew Cogliano in the book ”Everyday Hockey Heroes 2”.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Possibly, they're both smart players, but it's not my first preference. They'll need a worker type with some wheels like Val or Lehky on the other wing though.

I just hope they put Mikko and RyJo together for a sustained period of time at some point to build some chemistry before the playoffs. They're going to need to split up Nate and Mikko at some point in the post season, just like they did the Cup year.

I definitely agree..

Although I've never been a huge believer in Mack & Mikko having natural chemistry.

Mikko likes to direct an offense, Mack likes to attack. Landeskog was quite the bridge at a high level.

I truely believe they're like Malkin and Crosby in a way. When one is injured they take over, but Mikko might be even better than Mack but he disappeared and does so often in games until there is a highlight reel pass on his side or to him for a goal.

They really need to be running their own line, and to only be put together at certain times.

It's like if the standard is 100% and they both help each other achive it, but they're 150%

We don't need that, we need two lines running at 110%, and neither of them need much help to achieve that.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
yeh. George should just pick up the puck and throw it into his own net when those two are out.

Uh, I don't think it would be that bad lol. Especially if one of Nuke or Lehky was on the line.

Dear god no. That's a nightmare waiting to happen.
Disagree, Ryjo might be a little too focused on being good defensively.

At least you're logical about why

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
While we are talking line combos:

Tatar - MacKinnon - Nichuskin
Lehkonen - RyJo - Rantanen
Wood - Colton - Drouin

With the option to swap Dru and Tatar. But also, based on Bednars comments, hear me out:

Wood - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Tatar - RyJo - Nichuskin
Lehkonen - Colton - Drouin

I think one of the main reasons Drouin played better on the 3rd line is that he's a natural RWer and should stay over there.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’m guessing this has been discussed plenty but Tatar seems like such a great compliment to Mackinnon. He’s able to make those quick little plays Mackinnon loves. This might be a long term fit.

Also did I see Tatar also take RyJo’s place on the PP?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
While we are talking line combos:

Tatar - MacKinnon - Nichuskin
Lehkonen - RyJo - Rantanen
Wood - Colton - Drouin

With the option to swap Dru and Tatar. But also, based on Bednars comments, hear me out:

Wood - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Tatar - RyJo - Nichuskin
Lehkonen - Colton - Drouin

I think one of the main reasons Drouin played better on the 3rd line is that he's a natural RWer and should stay over there.

I like that, more of a paired up top 9 where Tartar & Drouin play wherever.

I really think it's a fail we haven't seen Drouin with Mack and one of Nuke or Lehky.. I think Drouin was creating fine, but didn't have the puck much. Mikko is dead nuts quiet all night and then bam, but he is just like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad