GDT: Avs vs. Blues: Dater Jinx Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I know he hasn't but that will definitely come. I don't think anyone thinks he won't be a goal scorer. I'm not trying to say he's a one man scoring machine or anything delusional like that. But my point more is that when he's on the ice he's a threat, defenses have to respect that. His size and speed create scoring chances. Mitchell and Talbot don't do that but either one with MacKinnon makes the line a threat. The two worst games we played MacKinnon wasn't at center. I don't think that fact can be ignored.

The best 3 games Mackinnon has played he wasn't at centre. That probably shouldn't be ignored either. If we're losing games because of a position change of a 18 year old rookie, we have bigger problems. If our 18 year old rookie is playing his best at a certain position, leave him where he is.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
can't read the entire thread, but why did Varly only play 12 minutes and got replaced after 2 goals allowed? did he get injured?

I guess Giguere probably wasn't happy about being pulled since the third goal wasn't a soft one and there is no reason to leave Varly in goal when the game was out of hand.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
can't read the entire thread, but why did Varly only play 12 minutes and got replaced after 2 goals allowed? did he get injured?

Jiggy started the game looking a little shaky, and was pulled in the second after allowing 3 goals. Then Varly got thrown into the fire with the team playing poor defense and didn't look that much better himself. Then Jiggy came back in to start the 3rd and continued to look like crap. It was a rough night all around.

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
My reaction upon arriving home and seeing the score:

wuhwhat.gif

Also, apparently my understanding of a game misconduct is flawed. How (and why) did Bordeleau get two of them?

they were 10 minute misconducts for existing

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Blues fan popping in, first 10 of the first period were the most intense hockey I've seen in a while. Hopefully it's a learning experience instead of how the Blues took those types of games years ago.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
they are playing like they did under sacco. let in 1 early soft goal and fall apart.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Jiggy started the game looking a little shaky, and was pulled in the second after allowing 3 goals. Then Varly got thrown into the fire with the team playing poor defense and didn't look that much better himself. Then Jiggy came back in to start the 3rd and continued to look like crap. It was a rough night all around.

I think Roy should of suited up and played goalie himself after he pulled Varly.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Disappointing game, but maybe not the worst thing. Last game they tried to outskill Carolina rather than outwork them, and again tonight. These games show them that they have to work to win.

How they react on Saturday will be a big sign. Roy has to have them ready.

Roy knows they need defense. He even told Simon Gagne, apparently. I imagine he's looking.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Hypothetically speaking, lets say both Varly and Giguere get hurt in the same game, can a coach suit up and play goalie? I'd like to see Roy between the pipes one more time

member 116861

Disappointing game, but maybe not the worst thing. Last game they tried to outskill Carolina rather than outwork them, and again tonight. These games show them that they have to work to win.

Roy knows they need defense. He even told Simon Gagne, apparently. I imagine he's looking.

What?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think Roy should of suited up and played goalie himself after he pulled Varly.

I was thinking the same thing.

I never want to see Varly and Jiggy both get injured in a game, but you know if that happened Patty would be all over it saying "give me the pads." That would be such an epic return to the NHL, and somehow he would pitch a shut out or something. You just know that's how it would play out.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Hypothetically speaking, lets say both Varly and Giguere get hurt in the same game, can a coach suit up and play goalie? I'd like to see Roy between the pipes one more time

lol as awesome and hilarious as that would be I don't think it's allowed. Plus Roy would remain umble and decline even if he could.
I bet if he had the opportunity to go out there and fight Stewart tonight he would have jumped on the opportunity though :laugh:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
PAP's play worries me. The poor defensive play is expected but he's really hurting that line right now. He's also useless on the PP because they have him standing at the point.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

I don't think Saturday will be the real test since they are playing one of the worst teams at home. Real test will be when they play the Blues or Hawks whatever top teams they play next

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Uhh yea, I need filling in on that one too.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
PAP's play worries me. The poor defensive play is expected but he's really hurting that line right now. He's also useless on the PP because they have him standing at the point.

I think when Tanguay comes back he will be playing on the first line if Mackinnon is still playing well with Landy and Staz. Parenteau will find himself on the 3rd line. If the Staz line slows down Tanguay will go right back where he was but i'd like to see Mack on the first line and PArenteau still down on the 3rd.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It was in a French Article. Gagne is training with the Ramparts and talked to Roy. Roy told him he doesn't need left wingers, he needs defense.

I think Roy knows this defense won't cut it.

Didn't that conversation take place in the offseason? Gagne said he hasn't spoken to Roy recently.

stickguy

Jan 20, 2013
Anyone else think the last couple of games have been just getting worse and worse for Guenin? At this point I like Holden more. He's less reliable defensively but adds offense and when I see Guenin shying away from blocking shots and not picking up open guys in front of the net I think I'd rather have Holden playing his game than Guenin half-a**ing his role of being a gritty tough shot blocking defensive dman

Its not a coincidence that everyone that has played with Guenin has been called out for being lousy...first Barrie, then Wilson and now Holden. Guenin has been a feel good story early on but it has turned bad for a number of games now. As the season has gone on and all the teams have stepped up their game, he cannot keep up with man to man coverage in his own end. Once this happens, everyone starts running around and chasing. He was terrible again tonight at -2 (Holden was even).

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
It was in a French Article. Gagne is training with the Ramparts and talked to Roy. Roy told him he doesn't need left wingers, he needs defense.

I think Roy knows this defense won't cut it.

I read the article you speak of. It claims that the Avs were in search of defensemen during the offseason, not now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad