Confirmed with Link: Avs trade Downie for Max Talbot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I waded through the chat on the DP from the Stars game. Dater said he talked to Sakic there about Downie and Sakic didn't think he'd resign and would look elsewhere.

That's an interesting new wrinkle I don't think I've seen anyone suggest. Downie might not have WANTED to re-sign here. There could be some truth to that. Preferring to go back east and get a big payday at the same time. Maybe even back to Philly, or perhaps TB with his buddy Stamkos.

Definitely more believable than the Landy incident. Not sure why Friedman, as much as I respect him, thinks it's worth noting. I didn't get the impression from that interview his sources were that connected in this particular regard.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It is Bobby then everybody else. I'd probably put LeBrun above Friedman as well, but they are pretty much equal.

Meh, I don't see it. I think MacKenzie spends way too much time trying to analyze the game rather than talk hockey news, and I'm not a fan of LeBrun's at all. I think Friedman is the top reporter out there but if I had to rank them, it'd go 1) Friedman, 2) MacKenzie, 3) Dreger even though he's a major Leafs homer

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
"He wasn't going to resign here" could just as easily mean "we weren't going to offer him a contract."

That's the kind of spin an insider will give a reporter that he can't trust. That's what happens when you write speculative, emotion-laden articles instead of working hard to check and double-check sources and stick to simply reporting facts. People notice what you're writing and they'll stop giving you the straight story. You become a tool to promote the narrative to shape the subject's desired image.

Hockey can be a condescending sport. Simply asking "did you ever play the game" is all that needs to be said to dismiss someone entirely. Obviously most reporters haven't played at any real competitive level, but those that have an intense love and understanding of the game will get more respect in the locker room. I've never got the feeling that Dater understands the game, let alone love it. Guy is just doing his job.

I don't mean any disrespect to Dater here, either. I like the guy, he serves his purpose, but he never gets real insider information and there's a reason for that. And that's OK, because not every reporter can be that guy.

Basically: I trust Friedman's word over Dater's, but still with an asterisk. Like Freudian was saying, I don't think it's "OMG someone hit Landeskog TRADE HIM IMMEDIATELY," rather it could've had more to do with how the boys reacted afterwards, what the feeling in the locker room was since, and of course, this all had to be weighted with Downie's inability to control his rage in-game and take a bunch of penalties.

Real life is kinda complex guys, I don't think there is one single issue that led to this trade. It's a big sloppy mix of everything.

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Lots of Avs talk there. Maybe the Avs were not happy with the incident but it's not the only reason. At least he brings up how much Roy wanted Talbot. Love the thought of Duchene on Crosby's wing gaining some traction from the media.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
"He wasn't going to resign here" could just as easily mean "we weren't going to offer him a contract."

That's the kind of spin an insider will give a reporter that he can't trust. That's what happens when you write speculative, emotion-laden articles instead of working hard to check and double-check sources and stick to simply reporting facts. People notice what you're writing and they'll stop giving you the straight story. You become a tool to promote the narrative to shape the subject's desired image.

Hockey can be a condescending sport. Simply asking "did you ever play the game" is all that needs to be said to dismiss someone entirely. Obviously most reporters haven't played at any real competitive level, but those that have an intense love and understanding of the game will get more respect in the locker room. I've never got the feeling that Dater understands the game, let alone love it. Guy is just doing his job.

I don't mean any disrespect to Dater here, either. I like the guy, he serves his purpose, but he never gets real insider information and there's a reason for that. And that's OK, because not every reporter can be that guy.

Basically: I trust Friedman's word over Dater's, but still with an asterisk. Like Freudian was saying, I don't think it's "OMG someone hit Landeskog TRADE HIM IMMEDIATELY," rather it could've had more to do with how the boys reacted afterwards, what the feeling in the locker room was since, and of course, this all had to be weighted with Downie's inability to control his rage in-game and take a bunch of penalties.

Real life is kinda complex guys, I don't think there is one single issue that led to this trade. It's a big sloppy mix of everything.

Well that came from the report that Dater talked to Sakic. Sakic's not an "insider" and he's not good at spinning things or being careful with his words. If that was indeed said, or the idea that was implied, than it's most likely what it sounds like.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
So the Avs' first line in 2018? :naughty:

mind_blown.gif

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If in 2018 the Avs 1st line is Duchene-Crosby-MacKinnon, the 2nd line would be McGinn-Mitchell-PAP.

If Avs could even afford PAP then. ROR and Stastny would most certainly be gone to be able to afford Crosby.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If in 2018 the Avs 1st line is Duchene-Crosby-MacKinnon, the 2nd line would be McGinn-Mitchell-PAP.

If Avs could even afford PAP then. ROR and Stastny would most certainly be gone to be able to afford Crosby.

Total buzzkill...

To retort and keep the energy, his cap hit is 8.7m in 2018... so the Avs could easily afford it. :yo:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Well that came from the report that Dater talked to Sakic. Sakic's not an "insider" and he's not good at spinning things or being careful with his words. If that was indeed said, or the idea that was implied, than it's most likely what it sounds like.

Just to clarify, since I was the one who brought it up. Yes it was Dater that talked to Sakic in Dallas. Some of the rants on Dater are justified, I myself have a few, but he generally does a decent job reporting facts when he doesn't have to go too far out of his box. It really is splitting hairs because ultimately it doesn't matter if the Avs didn't want to offer Downie a contract or didn't think he'd accept their offer, either way it means they didn't think Downie would be under contract next season. I just thought it was interesting to point out what Sakic said, something to think about anyway.

Wow on the Preds fans. That actually makes me nervous...

Since apparently the perception is the Avs spend like 10M on their payroll, we can easily fit Crosby in.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Hoping Avs keep playing the way they have lately. I'm surprised they haven't had one of those games where nothing goes right yet. Surely Roy can't control bounces? Could he be a wizard?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
8. Most of the reaction to last week's Steve Downie/Max Talbot trade was, "That's a weird deal." Downie's upcoming status as an unrestricted free agent played a role, as did a training camp skirmish with Avalanche captain Gabriel Landeskog. Landeskog tripped him during a skate, which angered Downie, who suffered a bad knee injury last season. He took a run at Landeskog, who has a concussion history, and the two nearly fought. That didn't go over well. The Flyers really like Downie, so there was a willingness to barter.

9. Why Talbot? Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy has a buddy in Benoit Groulx, who coaches Gatineau in the QMJHL. Les Olympiques lost the Memorial Cup final in 2003 and 2004, with Talbot as their leading scorer. Groulx loves Talbot and undoubtedly gave him a great recommendation.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...malholtra-makes-triumphant-return-to-nhl.html

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad