GDT: Avs @ Stars | 3/23/13 | 6 MT | Possibilité de deux victoires d'affilée?!

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You... do realize that the player and the number are not dependent on each other right?

Huh? I'm saying that even at #2 over all I would probably take Drouin over Jones after looking at this list, if Mack was taken #1.

My own personal opinion... Drouin, Jones, Mack in that order for me, but that's IMO. Especially after looking at the crap shoot top drafted defenders seem to be.

The best forward seems to be the more 'sure thing'.

BusterBluth

Jan 2, 2012
Can't wait to read what Giggy said.

"We had a big meeting two or three days ago, a players-only meeting. We talked about some stuff and I thought we had a good response against Dallas at home (Wednesday). Then we have a day off, then come back and practice, and I thought our practice was just awful," Giguere said. "The effort wasn't there. We practiced defensive zone coverage, and guys weren't taking the body and swirling and stuff like that. This is the stuff we have to work on every day. I told a couple of the guys that 'I don't think we'll have a good game today.' It's unacceptable. It's an everyday job. You've got to work hard every day. You've got to be a lot more desperate than that."

Source: DenverPost

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Can't wait to read what Giggy said.

Agreed. Its becoming increasingly obvious that Sacco has lost the dressing room. Nobody cares anymore.

At this point, I think we could still see a coaching change before the end of the season. I could see Sacco getting canned with around 15 games left, Quinn getting the interim job and 15 games to see if he cant prove himself worthy of the job. If we don't go at least something like 9-5-1 in those 15 games, then we find someone permanent over the summer.

It just seems so obvious that nobody supports Sacco anymore, and Giggys comments(whatever they be) about lacking effort makes it more obvious.

BusterBluth

Jan 2, 2012
This season is really starting to bug me. When O'Reilly returned to the team I expected him to be impetus that really pushed this team toward the playoffs. At the very least, even if we weren't seeing resulst, I expected more effort.

Honestly, they can lose and it wouldn't faze me if it seemed like they were trying for 60 minutes. They could lose 3-2 losing in the final seconds but at least if at the end of the loss I could justify it saying "They played a helluva game, it was a tough way to lose" then I'd be happy/happier than what we're seeing now.

But lackluster starts, the appearance of not giving a damn...I'm really starting to get pissed off at this team/organization for the first time. Nobody seems to care. I'd love to see some ******* emotion from the players and coaches. It's just really hard to take because as a fan, we invest a lot into the franchise (emotionally and financially) and to be given a ****** product in return feels like a slap to the face.

A few games ago after a goal against, Duchene slapped his stick on the ice in frustration, and that felt good to see as a fan, but it just feels like the rest of the team doesn't care. Hell, they're not getting paid by the results...!

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Agreed. Its becoming increasingly obvious that Sacco has lost the dressing room. Nobody cares anymore.

At this point, I think we could still see a coaching change before the end of the season. I could see Sacco getting canned with around 15 games left, Quinn getting the interim job and 15 games to see if he cant prove himself worthy of the job. If we don't go at least something like 9-5-1 in those 15 games, then we find someone permanent over the summer.

It just seems so obvious that nobody supports Sacco anymore, and Giggys comments(whatever they be) about lacking effort makes it more obvious.

That would be dumb as hell IMO, why hurt our draft standing in order to give a coach a 15 game tryout? If the team turns it around just based on the change behind the bench and then falls flat next year when it's sunk in... It will be a huge waste.

Remember that we played well under Sacco initially too, as Granato was like choking on vanilla by that time.

Stick with the animal you know, draft higher, grab a couple free-agents and give the team a new coach/fresh start next year.

BusterBluth

Jan 2, 2012
That would be dumb as hell IMO, why hurt our draft standing in order to give a coach a 15 game tryout? If the team turns it around just based on the change behind the bench and then falls flat next year when it's sunk in... It will be a huge waste.

Remember that we played well under Sacco initially too, as Granato was like choking on vanilla by that time.

Stick with the animal you know, draft higher, grab a couple free-agents and give the team a new coach/fresh start next year.

On the other hand, it gives management the opportunity to evaluate our players playing under (potentially) a better system?

The message relayed by management would additionally indicate that the product the fans are seeing is unacceptable.

These are two benefits of canning Sacco earlier (though let's face it, he's probably more likely to get an extension than a pink slip)

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago
I hope that draft position is not a substantial factor in deciding to keep Sacco as coach. I won't believe for a second that Seth Jones is more important to this team long term than establishing a winning environment.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Is it just me, or have the Avs had several "Players Only Meetings" since Sacco became the head coach?

I mean if the Avs of old had them, I sure don't recall hearing about ever single one of them.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Do you honestly think giving a coach, probably Quinn, a 15 game tryout is really going to change the outcome of this season for the Avs so much that we will be in danger of losing out on a top 5 pick?

The answer is no. Sacco is a terrible coach, has lost the players and deserves to get fired right now.

The last thing I want to see is players like Varly, Duchene, Landy, ROR etc start to lose even more confidence than they have. they have absolutely no respect for Sacco because they know he sucks.

Plus the problem isn't just Sacco. There are other issues, like the void of talent on this team. In order to win you also need talent, we have some, but not enough. So canning the coach won't effect the outcome of this season. It might give a temporary boost to the team for 3-4 games, but we will continue to suck this year no matter who is at the helm.

Next year will be the first opportunity to get significantly better but it will require a better permanent coach, and will require signing a couple of real UFAs. They did a good job last year with signing useful UFAs like PAP and Mitchell. Now we need a couple more. No more of this Zanon UFA crap. Time to get serious. Some names to look at would be: Brunner, Bozak, Stalberg, Raymond, Filppula on the offensvie side, unfortunately UFA dmen are looking kind of weak unless you want an older guy like Streit or Scuderi on a short deal.

Unfortunately this all banks on one thing...willingness to spend money, and I'm not sure they are willing to do this.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I hope that draft position is not a substantial factor in deciding to keep Sacco as coach. I won't believe for a second that Seth Jones is more important to this team long term than establishing a winning environment.

Jones, Mack, or Drouin, added to the roster as potential franchise players and having to deal with 18 more games of Sacco. Or fire the coach and draft higher at around 14-8th?

I would bet that if Sacco was fired this team would be seriously different within 2-5 games. Even with Quinn's inexperience...

The time to fire Sacco was last off-season or at the very least earlier in this season when it had the potential to matter. The next time to fire Sacco is this off-season. It's way to late to do anything but hurt our future talent wise.

9-5-1 is way better than what we have been doing lately... It's enough to bring us off the floor and into mediocrity. I'd rather not be Calgary..

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
We don't say this enough around here anymore.... MUST WIN.

AVATAR CHALLENGE: How many shots do we give up? Closest to without going over wins the Avatar for a week. No Purchase necessary. Cannot be exchanged for cash value.

Voting closes at the start of the game.

expatriated_texan - 1
m0ngr31 - 2 <---- dick move
Hans Landaskog - 3 <----WOW! *******!
Teuras - 19
Cypher - 22
Freudian - 23
Zih - 24
ChrisNI - 25
Viking Mode - 26
The Shermanator - 27
Ceremony - 28
AvsFanRCN - 29
Bon Iver - 30
ChibiPooky - 31
Nzap - 32
Bubba - 33
SEPH - 34
avalanchuk - 35
Silent Bob - 36
AvsFan20 - 37
RockLobster - 38
Alex Jones - 39
S3rkie - 40
Avs For Life - 41
Kschey - 42
Bender - 43
Elway - 44
18007 - 45
agentblack - 46
SuperJoe - 51
Yipperfan - 68

The guy that nobody knows won?!?!?!?!

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Is it just me, or have the Avs had several "Players Only Meetings" since Sacco became the head coach?

I mean if the Avs of old had them, I sure don't recall hearing about ever single one of them.

i can only recall one to be sure of , back when espn did " the season" with kariya and selanne on the team they had one.

now i'm sure they have them much more in the losing environment now.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Love Giggy calling out the team. The guys a winner what he says should carry more weight then anything Sacco ever has to say

Jiggy was the one who brought us out of our mid-season slump last year, with a talk at center ice during practice.

He seems to wait a bit too long to be vocal, or at least by the time we hear about it. It seems too late...

Jiggy can say everything he wants and have it all be true, but if the team as a whole is tired of Sacco. Nothing much is really going to change that room until hes gone.

You can slap as much cake frosting on **** as you want, but you're still just eating **** with frosting on it.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Jones, Mack, or Drouin, added to the roster as potential franchise players and having to deal with 18 more games of Sacco. Or fire the coach and draft higher at around 14-8th?

I would bet that if Sacco was fired this team would be seriously different within 2-5 games. Even with Quinn's inexperience...

The time to fire Sacco was last off-season or at the very least earlier in this season when it had the potential to matter. The next time to fire Sacco is this off-season. It's way to late to do anything but hurt our future talent wise.

9-5-1 is way better than what we have been doing lately
... It's enough to bring us off the floor and into mediocrity. I'd rather not be Calgary..

How do you know that firing the coach would lead to this kind of record?

I can almost guarantee that it wouldn't. Sacco sucks but he isn't the only problem. We field probably the worst top 6 defense ever, we need 2 more top 6 forwards and probably 2 more bottom 6 forwards before we match the talent of most teams in the NHL.

Right now we have Duchene, PAP, ROR and Landy as top 6 forward caliber players McGinn and Stastny as borderline top 6 players but would probably be best for a 3rd line role on most good teams. We have Kobasew, Mitchell and McCleod as credible bottom 6 players and that is about it. The rest of the forwards probably shouldn't be in the NHL. On defense we have EJ and Hejda as NHL caliber dmen and the rest are borderline 6-7 dmen on most teams. We do have decent goaltending.

Just because you change the coach doesn't mean extra talent is going to come through the door and make the team magically better.
Even if they change the coach the best I see the Avs doing the rest of the way is something like 6-9-2 and probably not that good. We play VANx3, DETx2, STLx2, NSHx2, right there we could potentially lose all of those with or without Sacco as those teams are far superior to ours talent wise.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Do you honestly think giving a coach, probably Quinn, a 15 game tryout is really going to change the outcome of this season for the Avs so much that we will be in danger of losing out on a top 5 pick?

The answer is no. Sacco is a terrible coach, has lost the players and deserves to get fired right now.

The last thing I want to see is players like Varly, Duchene, Landy, ROR etc start to lose even more confidence than they have. they have absolutely no respect for Sacco because they know he sucks.

Plus the problem isn't just Sacco. There are other issues, like the void of talent on this team. In order to win you also need talent, we have some, but not enough. So canning the coach won't effect the outcome of this season. It might give a temporary boost to the team for 3-4 games, but we will continue to suck this year no matter who is at the helm.

Next year will be the first opportunity to get significantly better but it will require a better permanent coach, and will require signing a couple of real UFAs. They did a good job last year with signing useful UFAs like PAP and Mitchell. Now we need a couple more. No more of this Zanon UFA crap. Time to get serious. Some names to look at would be: Brunner, Bozak, Stalberg, Raymond, Filppula on the offensvie side, unfortunately UFA dmen are looking kind of weak unless you want an older guy like Streit or Scuderi on a short deal.

Unfortunately this all banks on one thing...willingness to spend money, and I'm not sure they are willing to do this.

Most Avs fans on here are of the opinion that Stastny should not be traded unless a #2 defenseman is coming back to play with Johnson, but I disagree. I say if you can get a legitimate top 4 defenseman for Stastny, pull the trigger. And by legitimate top 4, I mean players the caliber of Dennis Seidenberg, Andrej Sekera, Jay Bouwmeester, Joni Pitkanen, Jack Johnson, Mark Streit, Michael Del Zotto, Braydon Coburn, Keith Yandle, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Matt Carle, or Tobias Enstrom. If Stastny was traded for one of these players (a + may need to be included for certain players like Johnson, Del Zotto, Enstrom), I'd be very happy.

So lets just say for hypothetical purposes a trade of Paul Stastny + Stefan Elliott + 2013 3rd Round Pick for Jack Johnson

Then with our pick (hopefully if things continue on this way, in the top 3) we select Jonathan Drouin, and go into next season as:

Drouin/Duchene/Parenteau
Landeskog/O'Reilly/Downie
McGinn/Mitchell/Palushaj
McLeod/Olver/Kobasew

J.Johnson/E.Johnson
Wilson/Barrie
Hejda/O'Brien

Varlamov
Giguere

Amnesty David Jones, and put Matt Hunwick in the minors before the season starts, along with re-signing Chuck Kobasew as a 4th line player

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't know why I even bothered to watch the game after I got home. So many of our players looked awful.

The defensive zone coverage was terrible as usual but Varly still has to stop a couple of those goals. Whether it's fair or not, we need him to steal games in order for us to win. Not only is he not stealing games, he's allowing a couple of soft goals every game and it's at the point where he's one of the reasons why we're losing so badly.

Every single one of our defensemen sucked. I think EJ is probably playing the worst hockey of his career right now. I don't know if it's his confidence, or he's afraid to make mistakes, or he's worried about suffering another concussion but he has been really bad ever since he came back from his injury.

I can't believe O'Byrne still gets regular playing time on this team. The others are bad but he's the worst. Get this bum out of here.

Props to SOB and McLeod roughing it up a bit and going after Dillon. McLeod got a nice shot in to start it all and then I think SOB got a shot or two in as well. At least they showed some fire at the end. When that scrum was happening, EJ grabbed a hold of Whitney and just stood there. Then he was just trying to keep Dillon away and backed off completely when SOB was going crazy. EJ is one of my favourite players but that was pathetic.

What's up with Landeskog? Another concussion after that hit he took last game or something else?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Most Avs fans on here are of the opinion that Stastny should not be traded unless a #2 defenseman is coming back to play with Johnson, but I disagree. I say if you can get a legitimate top 4 defenseman for Stastny, pull the trigger. And by legitimate top 4, I mean players the caliber of Dennis Seidenberg, Andrej Sekera, Jay Bouwmeester, Joni Pitkanen, Jack Johnson, Mark Streit, Michael Del Zotto, Braydon Coburn, Keith Yandle, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Matt Carle, or Tobias Enstrom. If Stastny was traded for one of these players (a + may need to be included for certain players like Johnson, Del Zotto, Enstrom), I'd be very happy.

So lets just say for hypothetical purposes a trade of Paul Stastny + Stefan Elliott + 2013 3rd Round Pick for Jack Johnson

Then with our pick (hopefully if things continue on this way, in the top 3) we select Jonathan Drouin, and go into next season as:

Drouin/Duchene/Parenteau
Landeskog/O'Reilly/Downie
McGinn/Mitchell/Palushaj
McLeod/Olver/Kobasew

J.Johnson/E.Johnson
Wilson/Barrie
Hejda/O'Brien

Varlamov
Giguere

Amnesty David Jones, and put Matt Hunwick in the minors before the season starts, along with re-signing Chuck Kobasew as a 4th line player

Plus a new coach :yo:

I'd find another RW free-agent besides PJ's to be honest, that RW side does not have any depth the way that looks. Maybe even go after Bozak as a third line center.

How do you know that firing the coach would lead to this kind of record?

I can almost guarantee that it wouldn't. Sacco sucks but he isn't the only problem. We field probably the worst top 6 defense ever, we need 2 more top 6 forwards and probably 2 more bottom 6 forwards before we match the talent of most teams in the NHL.

Right now we have Duchene, PAP, ROR and Landy as top 6 forward caliber players McGinn and Stastny as borderline top 6 players but would probably be best for a 3rd line role on most good teams. We have Kobasew, Mitchell and McCleod as credible bottom 6 players and that is about it. The rest of the forwards probably shouldn't be in the NHL. On defense we have EJ and Hejda as NHL caliber dmen and the rest are borderline 6-7 dmen on most teams. We do have decent goaltending.

Just because you change the coach doesn't mean extra talent is going to come through the door and make the team magically better.
Even if they change the coach the best I see the Avs doing the rest of the way is something like 6-9-2 and probably not that good. We play VANx3, DETx2, STLx2, NSHx2, right there we could potentially lose all of those with or without Sacco as those teams are far superior to ours talent wise.

There is plenty of issues with how Sacco manages the roster and how he gives out ice time to our defense as well. EJ/Wilson Hejda/Barrie, especially EJ should be playing 23-26 minutes a night. Barrie & Hejda did fine playing 22-23 a night as well.

Whoever the new coach is would probably stop doing dumb **** like giving Hunwick & Zannon the most TOI per game. I'm not saying we would for sure be a play-off team, but there is some serious issues with how Sacco runs our roster and who he plays in what situations and how much.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Plus a new coach :yo:

I'd find another RW free-agent besides PJ's to be honest, that RW side does not have any depth the way that looks. Maybe even go after Bozak as a third line center.

There is plenty of issues with how Sacco manages the roster and how he gives out ice time to our defense as well. EJ/Wilson Hejda/Barrie, especially EJ should be playing 23-26 minutes a night. Barrie & Hejda did fine playing 22-23 a night as well.

Whoever the new coach is would probably stop doing dumb **** like giving Hunwick & Zannon the most TOI per game. I'm not saying we would for sure be a play-off team, but there is some serious issues with how Sacco runs our roster and who he plays in what situations and how much.

It isn't a very deep Right side at all, but I'm not counting on Downie getting another freak injury and being out for the season. If all stay healthy, Palushaj is a perfect 3rd line winger. I'd love for Bozak to sign here and play Mitchell as the 4C, then if injuries to the right side happen just slot Bozak in there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad