Series Talk: Avs Stanley Cup Celebration Pictures and Videos Thread

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
For me, EJ ranks above Tanguay (who did not warrant his jersey being retired) but below Hejduk, who did. I can see him falling in either way. When on the fence, I usually error on the side of honoring the player. But I'm still not sure on EJ. Both he and Hejduk have one cup. But Hejduk also had a Rocket Richard and as of today, Hejduk played 306 more games as an Av. I think EJ is on the outside looking in.

That being said, if we did what some of y'all suggested and hung a jersey with #6 and Johnson's name on it to honor him but not retire the number, allowing for other #6's to have their names added in the future...I'm all for him being the first.
I wouldn’t cry foul if they did, I just don’t think as a player he did enough. As a person he absolutely does deserve it and I’d be happy for him personally. If they do honour him by raising it, I’d rather the number retired full out though. I’m not a big fan of “honour”ing either. Either as a franchise you believe this player deserves to be recognized by retiring the number or you don’t imo.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I really hope they don’t retire his number. It’s great that he stuck with us and he absolutely deserves to be offered a position within the organization. I love his commitment and attitude to this franchise but he wasn’t a cornerstone of success nor he never strung together amazing years. He was a solid player with an amazing attitude but did not accomplish enough as a player to warrant a jersey retirement imo. I know people will say “but bourque”, but I didn’t agree with that either, and he was a legendary player.
Oh I think he’s done more than enough to warrant having his number retired (and it’s gonna happen so you may as well get ready for it). He wasn’t just “solid,” he was a legit star in a majority of his time with the Avs and stuck with them during a time when they just plain DGAF.

A player doesn’t have to have “accomplished” anything for his number to be retired. It’s up to the franchise whose numbers get lifted to the rafters. I don’t have an issue with Bourque and I sure as hell won’t have an issue with no one else wearing 6 for the Avs ever again.

No way EJ should have his number retired.
It’s happening. I don’t know why people are opposed to this.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Put EJ’s name on a plaque or something. No way should his number be retired. That should be reserved for the truly special players.

Never been an all-star, never been nominated or even in the conversation for any awards, never contributed in a real meaningful way to a winning team, etc.

He stuck it out, was their best D while the team wasn’t good, and played a ton of games. That should be appreciated and it is. Put it on a plaque and have a nice ceremony for him.

Reactions: dahrougem2

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Put EJ’s name on a plaque or something. No way should his number be retired. That should be reserved for the truly special players.

Never been an all-star, never been nominated or even in the conversation for any awards, never contributed in a real meaningful way to a winning team, etc.

He stuck it out, was their best D while the team wasn’t good, and played a ton of games. That should be appreciated and it is. Put it on a plaque and have a nice ceremony for him.
He was given an all-star nod one year, 14-15 I believe. But of course, he got hurt and couldn't attend, which is kind of the story of his career.

I'm not sure he really deserves to be up there with the names that are currently there, but if I were a betting man I would say the Avs would fall on the side of making it happen. It fits their personality as an org to reward loyalty, even if EJ as a player isn't the type who would normally get that honor.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
We all know Joe thinks very highly of EJ for going to him and stating he wanted to be part of the solution and he didn't want to be traded. That kind of leadership is what gave EJ the ability to not have tough conversations about being traded. He earned the right to finish his contract as an Avalanche. While I personally don't think he's done enough, I'm not sure Joe and Chris even have a very long conversation. I think it'll be a slam dunk for them. And to be honest, after we successfully defend our title this summer, a lot of y'all will be changing your tune on him as well.

/SeaEagles

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
If number 6 isn't hanging in the rafters in the next couple years I'll be pretty surprised. I won't be upset, just surprised.

Not sure how I’d feel about that. He has been around for a long time and did gave everything he had for this team but I feel like the only numbers I can see going to the rafters of current players are. 92, 29 and 8 (maybe 96).

But then again, Bourque is up there for his year and a half of service so who knows.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Not sure how I’d feel about that. He has been around for a long time and did gave everything he had for this team but I feel like the only numbers I can see going to the rafters of current players are. 92, 29 and 8 (maybe 96).

But then again, Bourque is up there for his year and a half of service so who knows.

Yeah, those will be going up too. But hopefully not for a long while.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Oh I think he’s done more than enough to warrant having his number retired (and it’s gonna happen so you may as well get ready for it). He wasn’t just “solid,” he was a legit star in a majority of his time with the Avs and stuck with them during a time when they just plain DGAF.

A player doesn’t have to have “accomplished” anything for his number to be retired. It’s up to the franchise whose numbers get lifted to the rafters. I don’t have an issue with Bourque and I sure as hell won’t have an issue with no one else wearing 6 for the Avs ever again.

It’s happening. I don’t know why people are opposed to this.
Again, I’m not gonna start an outcry if it does happen. But he was a first pairing defenceman for a few years on this team. A good one, not great. When we did reach the pinnacle he played a secondary part. Not his fault on team success but he was never able to elevate his game when it mattered most to help them either.

Of course players need to accomplish something for their number to be retired. Maybe that’s just playing to an above-average standard for a long duration, but that is still an accomplishment. Otherwise I could argue we should retire josts number.

I guess we have differing opinions on his level of play while here. Imo he played at an average first pairing level for the avs for about 10 years. He was never a standout either offensively or defensively, showed flashes of the condor but was never consistent in that regard. Great player, glad to have him, but not worthy of jersey retirement to me.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Alright now we're on to "Erik Johnson's number will be retired" we can close this thread and prepare for the 22/23 edition. Behave yourselves.
I definitely don't think EJ's number should be retired but I also don't think Bourque, Hejduk and Foote's numbers should be retired so what do I know. Only numbers in the rafters should be 19, 21 and 33.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I definitely don't think EJ's number should be retired but I also don't think Bourque, Hejduk and Foote's numbers should be retired so what do I know. Only numbers in the rafters should be 19, 21 and 33.

Somewhat agree on Bourque (I mean I understand WHY the Avs did it, they just should have waited until after Boston to do it).

Disagree on Hejduk and Foote. Those guys were core players and franchise icons. I'm glad they did.

That said, I'm not sure EJ warrants a number retirement. However, after winning the Cup, I sure as hell believe that we'll be seeing 92, 29, 8, and 96 all retired when their playing days are done.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Somewhat agree on Bourque (I mean I understand WHY the Avs did it, they just should have waited until after Boston to do it).

Disagree on Hejduk and Foote. Those guys were core players and franchise icons. I'm glad they did.

That said, I'm not sure EJ warrants a number retirement. However, after winning the Cup, I sure as hell believe that we'll be seeing 92, 29, 8, and 96 all retired when their playing days are done.
Cale's jersey won't be retired because he'll spend the rest of his career with Calgary one his contract ends :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: niwotsblessing

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
If we win the cup this year and EJ just does some crazy shit, then there's a chance this clownshoes org hangs it up next to that bullshit scam of a Bourque retirement.

That bum won 1 cup and then quit. What a loser!

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I mean they retired Bourque's number, I thought that was a bit ridiculous.

It is and was and it was before Boston even did if I remember correctly

Yes. Never let it be said that Pierre Lacroix wasn’t a showman at heart and had no qualms about one-upping another franchise.

I’ll admit it seems a tad ridiculous but it just proves there’s no rule regarding the retirement of numbers.

I find the whole “retire the number for the fans” or someone like Wayne Huizenga is way more ridiculous than anything else. At least Bourque played for the team and contributed to a championship run.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Yes. Never let it be said that Pierre Lacroix wasn’t a showman at heart and had no qualms about one-upping another franchise.

I’ll admit it seems a tad ridiculous but it just proves there’s no rule regarding the retirement of numbers.

I find the whole “retire the number for the fans” or someone like Wayne Huizenga is way more ridiculous than anything else. At least Bourque played for the team and contributed to a championship run.

Probably helped that Bourque's 77 was an easy number to take away. EJ wears 6, that one is a bit harder.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Probably helped that Bourque's 77 was an easy number to take away. EJ wears 6, that one is a bit harder.

Very valid point. It's also a bit complicated since Bourque switched to 77 after wearing 7 before it was retired to honor Espo. We've seen firsthand how many people blow a goddamn gasket when anyone in the NHL even dares to wear 66, even when it's a franchise that had absolutely nothing to do with Super Mario.

I still think they'll do it, but I see the arguments against it. I'm not here to say he was a phenomenal Hall-of-Fame caliber talent, but given the sentiment between him and the organization, I totally see it happening. Won't be upset either way.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If they retired Bourque's and Foote's, they'll retire EJ's.

There's no comparison to be made with him and Foote. Foote played a significant role on two Cup winning teams. He also has almost 300 more regular season GP with the Avs/Nords and more than 3x as many playoff games than EJ.

The Bourque point we all agree on but are we really going to use a clear outlier as justification going forward? They got caught up in the moment and retired a number for a HOF'er. It's weird and doesn't make sense but it's done. I don't think that should be used as a reason to retire EJ's number.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if they retired EJ's number but no way should they IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad