Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Ryan Murray (One year, $2M)

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Im fine with this, very unsurprising they targeted him, but at 2M for a year, can't complain about the value.

He'll most likely play next to Bo on the 3rd pair, unless he can't play his off-hand. Then I guess they'll have him at with G.

He'll put in lots of work on the PK too, which I'm sure the org knew about the missing hole there.

Also, a Murray-EJ pair could be fun, watch "Final Destination" work overtime to take them both out with a freak Jumbotron collapse.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
To give Girard a bit more insulation when transitioning over to the right side.

Wouldn’t Murray as a completely stay-at-home defensive blueliner offer more protection next to Girard?

I don’t think you break up Toews-Makar. Girard was great in the regular season last year he just has to be hid in the playoffs, I think you give Murray and Girard a go at least and see how we fare before messing with our god-like first pairing.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Suddenly our D is a lot stronger than in the playoffs…

2020-2021 Playoffs:

Toews - Makar
Graves - Girard
Nemeth - Timmins

vs…

2021-22 Regular Season:

Toews - Makar
Murray - Girard
Byram - Johnson

Let’s see if they can remain healthy. It’s a top 5 D corps in the league.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Wow I love this! Great value for a guy that plays the same style as the Avs and can PK. Some NJ fans say he was playing at a #1 D level the first month of last season. If he can get remotely close to that this will be an amazing addition. Caveats are of course that he needs to stay healthy, and that he isn't a right hand shot but that's a minor point.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Wouldn’t Murray as a completely stay-at-home defensive blueliner offer more protection next to Girard?

I don’t think you break up Toews-Makar. Girard was great in the regular season last year he just has to be hid in the playoffs, I think you give Murray and Girard a go at least and see how we fare before messing with our god-like first pairing.
No because the puck retrievals are going to be a major issue for Girard on the right side. If there's another guy on the pairing capable of helping him in that regard, as Toews is so adept at, it would be a lot more beneficial than to stack that top pair with Toews and Makar.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Suddenly our D is a lot stronger than in the playoffs…

2020-2021 Playoffs:

Toews - Makar
Graves - Girard
Nemeth - Timmins

vs…

2021-22 Regular Season:

Toews - Makar
Murray - Girard
Byram - Johnson

Let’s see if they can remain healthy. It’s a top 5 D corps in the league.
Dude if they're healthy they are easily the best D group in the league. Makar and Toews is the best pair in the league. Girard plays at a #1 level in the regular season at least with the best transition metrics in the league. EJ and Murray both healthy are both top 4 Dmen. Then you have Byram who could be anything from #1 to #4. Who else in the league has 3 #1 Dmen and 3 additional top 4 Dmen?

That said, that's a very optimistic view on the situation because we all know Murray and Johnson will be injured a lot.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
I love this, wait out the FA for a value pickup. Low risk, high reward. Well done Joe!

Reactions: ljb4

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Yeah, I could see that.

I think this could be a dark horse lineup.
I think if you have Toews and Girard together at 5v5 then you put Toews on the right just like they have it on PP2.

Murray -- Makar
Girard ---- Toews
Byram ---- Johnson

That's if they put Murray with Makar.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Colorado’s blue line is so ridiculous.

No kidding. Despite losing a top 6 winger I think we need to remember that toews, Makar and Girard are all capable of 50+ points (more so G and makar). Who knows what byram can do offensively too, I think we will see some incredible scoring numbers from the defence again this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00