Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If we take out Compher is there really that much of a loss lol
Compher last 4 games:

upload_2021-3-31_19-31-42.png

His Corsi in the last 4 games is also 63.3 CF% (38-22):

upload_2021-3-31_19-30-41.png

It might be a mirage, but it seems like he's finding his game again now that he's back on the wing.

Don't get me wrong, I'd readily trade him to add some more physicality to the 4th line (eg. for Bennett or Wood), but scratching him for an AHL scrub seems unlikely.

Attachments

• upload_2021-3-31_19-31-6.png
    upload_2021-3-31_19-31-6.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 1

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Compher last 4 games:

View attachment 415385

View attachment 415383

It might be a mirage, but it seems like he's finding his game again now that he's back on the wing.

Don't get me wrong, I'd readily trade him to add some more physicality to the 4th line (eg. for Bennett or Wood), but scratching him for an AHL scrub seems unlikely.
Yeah, all joking aside, he has looked better these last few games. Still overpaid, but he's produced a couple of key goals and been part of the 4th line's relentless forechecking presence. It even looks like he's been getting some shifts on Jost's wing from what I can see. Still a small sample size but I think it's fair to say he's been better.

Reactions: PAZ and Richard88

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Compher last 4 games:

View attachment 415385

View attachment 415383

If you're playing one of those heavier teams, though, I'll happily pull out Compher for O'Brien.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You still haven't really given a good reason as to why this would no longer be the case after icing someone who is willing to fight.

I've given a good reason a few times. Fighting can dial down the temperature in games that are starting to get out of control, after a team is being dominated.

Everyone who knows hockey knows this, and the Avs are starting to dominate every team they play now, and those teams are responding by taking the Stars gameplan of playing dirty and targeting the Avs players with hits to slow them down, then getting frustrated after the Avs keep scoring.

You can argue that fighting isn't a deterrent (I don't think it's a strong deterrent but I think it can be one) but you can't argue that it doesn't dial down the temperature, because this was proven time and time again when fighting was more prevalent.

I don't know why everyone thinks you need to be a good fighter to be a deterrent or to dial down the temperature. That's not how it works and it sounds like some of you either haven't been in a fight, or it's been too long to remember.

Even if you don't think the guy on the other side is a good fighter, it's still not fun to get punched in the face. And the unknown of whether he'll get a lucky shot and KO you in front of the entire stadium and all the fans watching at home can be a successful deterrent to a player/team letting their frustrations get the better of them by stepping over the line with a questionable hit.

Just by having someone the opposition knows won't hesitate to drop the gloves, even if they're not great at it, can give someone enough pause to keep their emotions in check and not do something stupid. Without Calvert, the only guys the Avs have like that are Landy and Kadri, and you don't want them risking a broken hand, or taking them off the ice for five minutes.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Who are we taking out to get the face puncher in the lineup? LOC? So Greer was too dangerous to bother with and caused a lot of pearl clutching but it’s ok we’ll use a guy who had a couple NHL fights 5 years ago instead of what they should be doing is giving Kaut games so they can have actual contributing depth in the playoffs. Great idea all around.

Probably nobody. There's nothing indicating O'Brien was signed to be a regular. He was probably signed so they could move him from the Eagles to the taxi squad. He's a depth guy like Dries or Tynan.

As far as I know this guy is playing for the Eagles and hasn't been called up the taxi squad yet. Middleton was the guy signed and called up to the taxi squad yesterday.

O'Brien had to pass through waivers first, Middleton is exempt.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Tonights game against Arizona was a perfect example of why you need role players that can fight.

Do we really want MacKinnon feeling like he needs to tell Garlund not to throw his elbows around at him in a blow out? Or responding to other cheap shots from bigger players? Do we want Landy or Kadri risking a broken hand or taking themselves off the ice for five minutes?

Or do we want someone like Calvert (when he's healthy) or O'Brien sending that message?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Tonights game against Arizona was a perfect example of why you need role players that can fight.

Do we really want MacKinnon feeling like he needs to tell Garlund not to throw his elbows around at him in a blow out? Or responding to other cheap shots from bigger players? Do we want Landy or Kadri risking a broken hand or taking themselves off the ice for five minutes?

Or do we want someone like Calvert (when he's healthy) or O'Brien sending that message?
The problem with this particular signing is that O'Brien is just a bad, bad hockey player who has zero business on NHL ice. On a bad team, he might have a role, but there are only 12 forward spots and if one of them goes to him the Avs are going to have to carry him up and down the ice for the six minutes he plays, and overplay the rest of their forwards to make up for the ice time he doesn't get because he sucks. You can't get a facepuncher who's just there to punch faces in this league, certainly not on a team with real ambitions.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The problem with this particular signing is that O'Brien is just a bad, bad hockey player who has zero business on NHL ice. On a bad team, he might have a role, but there are only 12 forward spots and if one of them goes to him the Avs are going to have to carry him up and down the ice for the six minutes he plays, and overplay the rest of their forwards to make up for the ice time he doesn't get because he sucks. You can't get a facepuncher who's just there to punch faces in this league, certainly not on a team with real ambitions.

How do you know he's that much worse than Dries or Tynan in a depth role though?

He's got 4 goals and 8 points in 12 games with the Eagles this year. Maybe he fits in better with an Avalanche style system than he does with other teams?

Reactions: Barklez

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
How do you know he's that much worse than Dries or Tynan in a depth role though?

He's got 4 goals and 8 points in 12 games with the Eagles this year. Maybe he fits in better with an Avalanche style system than he does with other teams?
Or maybe he's just a marginal AHL bottom sixer on a hot streak in a small sample size. Dries and Tynan are at least good AHL players. If you were to insist on having a big physical tough guy in the lineup, I would literally rather drag Andreas Martinsen back from Europe, because he's still a better hockey player.

Peter Peckerwood

Aug 6, 2020
9764 Jeopardy Lane
Or maybe he's just a marginal AHL bottom sixer on a hot streak in a small sample size. Dries and Tynan are at least good AHL players. If you were to insist on having a big physical tough guy in the lineup, I would literally rather drag Andreas Martinsen back from Europe, because he's still a better hockey player.

Then try to ride that hot streak and see if it sticks. Worth a shot...

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Liked what I saw from LOB in this game. Drew a penalty on his first shift. Had some real nice hits (actual hits) early as well.

Had a good aggressive forecheck. Looked responsible defensively. Made sure to be the third man high when the other two went deep. Made a nice play in the D zone to wrap up ROR on a dump and chase, that let the puck boucne free to a teammate, so they could skate it out. Thought he moved around the ice well too.

Almost generated some goals a few times too with some good work around the net. Also showed some unselfishness by keeping his shifts short, even on ones where things were looking dangerous.

Reminds me of a poor mans Downie. Even resembles him with the hair sticking out of his helmet, and the way he skates around with his shoulders up in the air, and even the way he hits. Which is a great thing, as long as he doesn't lose his mind the way Downie would.

Bednar said in the post game he put him in the lineup because he wanted the physicality and the size of O'Brien, and that he got high praise from the Eagles coaching staff, as well as Billington, Sakic and MacFarland who all liked what they saw from him. Specifically mentioned he's got real good details.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Oh and he also said during the intermission interview that the Avs were a team he watched growing up, so it was a dream come true to wear the Avs sweater.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
He did a good job. Stood out because we are not used to see our guys hit. Hope he keeps it up. I’m fine with his contract since it’s for 2020-2021.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Let's just say no one can be as useless as Cliche was as a 4th liner. LOB looked good and most importantly brought another element to the 4th line we haven't seen all year.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Didn’t see Friday’s game, but thought he fit in fine on the 4th line tonight. Nice fight with Bortuzzo. Decent on the cycle. 4th line spent a lot of their shifts in the offensive zone, and he was a contributing factor in that. Set up a decent chance or two. He keeps it up and their is no reason he shouldn’t be in the lineup until everyone is healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad