Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Jonathan Drouin (1 year, 825k)

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
His best friend is Nathan MacKinnon, a guy who takes no days off and is more serious about winning and performance than anybody this organization has seen in a long time.

They drive together to the rink every day, whether its practice or games. Drouin said he gets Nate's coffee order and picks him up at home for the 20 minute drive to the arena. They're attached to the hip during practices, they are the last 2 coming off the ice after warm-ups doing their own one-timer drill.

I firmly believe the only thing that would see Drouin go off the rails is if something happened to that friendship, which is extremely unlikely.

MacK has renewed Jo's drive and passion for the game.

Barring Walsh convincing Drouin to chase the bag, I'd be shocked to not see him return next year. He will want it and MacK will mandate it to management.

Nice post man. I didn’t know these dudes were so tight.

Culture and locker room is so under rated for a teams success.

This one post has made me take a double take if we let Drouin go or not.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm Finnished with them.
awkward-leave.gif

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Nice post man. I didn’t know these dudes were so tight.

Culture and locker room is so under rated for a teams success.

This one post has made me take a double take if we let Drouin go or not.
But his play the back half of the season didn’t?

Reactions: GeoRox89

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Like @dahrougem2 mentioned in the other thread, they really did just turn back the clock and recreate that Halifax magic. Most importantly, they're doing it while Drouin has earned the trust of the coaches to play in all situations.

More than anything else, this is the surprise. The light bulb that turned on where Drouin became a backchecking monster and having a tenacious, puck hound mindset is the real surprise... and the real source of this turnaround. He could always pass and create offense, but he was never able to play important roles on good teams because he didn't put in the detail work. Now he's putting in that detail work and it is paying huge dividends. He's probably playing his way off the Avs, but I'm very happy for Drouin. He's earned whatever he gets, hopefully this light bulb stays on and he can live up to his potential.

Not nearly enough credit goes to Bennett for what he does with forwards. He has his flaws, but he can turn forwards into extreme puck hounds.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Maybe Ritchie is ready for the NHL next year, then trade Colton and resign Drouin, Ritchie takes the 3C spot

From what I've seen he looks no where near ready for center minutes in the NHL. Another year in junior and some WJC time is best for him.

Reactions: the_fan

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Looking forward to seeing him in the playoffs. He’s been good in the postseason in his last couple appearances and I expect him to be a key contributor.

I don’t think I really knew how good of a skater he was until I watched on a nightly basis. Agility, top-end speed, strong on his skates, there’s no real weakness in terms of his skating ability.

I thought he might hit 50 points, but never expected him to turn into a legit top-6 forward, and right now a legit top-line player.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
JD's drop pass to Mac on HT Goal No. 2 last night was sneaky next level and something that's clearly the result of those guys being joined at the hip for the last 9 months. I'll wait for the playoff results to start beating the jungle drums to resign JD at any cost but . . . you have to wonder if JD can replicate this on another team.

Because right now, he and Nate are like Clyde Frazier and Pearl Monroe (look 'em up, kids).

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
JD's drop pass to Mac on HT Goal No. 2 last night was sneaky next level and something that's clearly the result of those guys being joined at the hip for the last 9 months. I'll wait for the playoff results to start beating the jungle drums to resign JD at any cost but . . . you have to wonder if JD can replicate this on another team.

Because right now, he and Nate are like Clyde Frazier and Pearl Monroe (look 'em up, kids).
hearing Saul Goodman's voice reading this in my head was way good.

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith

Earl the Pearl! Clyde!

Willis MF Reed.

:nod:

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
This is said in jest but I have occasionally wondered if things of these nature happen. Could a small stake in the team be offered legally? Not direct compensation mind you but more of an incentive?
Didn't Selanne give Kariya a Porsche or something for taking a discount to come to the Avs?

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
This is said in jest but I have occasionally wondered if things of these nature happen. Could a small stake in the team be offered legally? Not direct compensation mind you but more of an incentive?
Out to hire players to be spokespersons for Wal-Mart and give them ludicrous money for their "acting" abilities in commercials.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'd love for him to stay but this is working out better than we had any right to expect.
Salary cap wise, I just can't see him sticking around. I mean he would have to take 1M again. Maybe if we could sign him to two contracts on the same day, a one-year deal to get us through the cap hell of next season and then a second deal that would pay him starting the following season once Manson comes of the books and we get another year of the cap going up. But one, that's not legal and two that would not be in JD's best interests.

It sucks but Toews raise, and Mitts new contract will eat everything and then some from the cap increase this year.

Last edited:

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I think re-signing Drouin should be one of the top priorities this off-season. Even during preseason, you could see glimpses of the chemistry him and Nate have. It took a little bit for Drouin to get adjusted, but once he did, he is actually been one of our best players, which has been delightful surprise. I think it would be a mistake to let him go. He has legitimately turned into a top six player.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Drouin isn't gonna accept 3rd line winger money anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad