Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Jonathan Drouin (1 year, 825k)

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
My only issue with Drouin is long term trust.

I think Drouin's mental state effects his game ALOT, do we have enough trust that simply being in the right situation is enough for a long term deal, to trust that he won't regress if any adversity comes up along the way?

He earned a new contract this year, and someone is going to pay it, do we trust him enough for that team to be us?

The money could be found if we absolutely wanted to retain him.

His best friend is Nathan MacKinnon, a guy who takes no days off and is more serious about winning and performance than anybody this organization has seen in a long time.

They drive together to the rink every day, whether its practice or games. Drouin said he gets Nate's coffee order and picks him up at home for the 20 minute drive to the arena. They're attached to the hip during practices, they are the last 2 coming off the ice after warm-ups doing their own one-timer drill.

I firmly believe the only thing that would see Drouin go off the rails is if something happened to that friendship, which is extremely unlikely.

MacK has renewed Jo's drive and passion for the game.

Barring Walsh convincing Drouin to chase the bag, I'd be shocked to not see him return next year. He will want it and MacK will mandate it to management.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
I really do love the human element of this comeback story for Drouin.

I think it’s far more of him being happy and motivated than anything else.

Imagine getting a job working next to your best friend everyday. Said friend is obsessed with being their best everyday. All you’d want to do is be your best to help them and push towards the goal and it doesn’t feel like work anymore, because it’s fun.

Anybody who thinks he’s leeching off MacKinnon’s skill isn’t watching the games.

The skill/hockey IQ has always been there for Drouin. I think he lost his way a little bit along the way. It happens to all of us. We like to think of athletes as machines, but they’re human-beings and there’s more to motivation in life than just cashing cheques.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
I dunno. JD made plenty of money with TB and Montreal. He's not hurting. Not saying Walsh won't demand a price hike, but he's also known for doing what's best for his clients.

What's better: Chasing the bag and playing in Edmonton? Or taking less and thriving here?

We'll see.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I dunno. JD made plenty of money with TB and Montreal. He's not hurting. Not saying Walsh won't demand a price hike, but he's also known for doing what's best for his clients.

What's better: Chasing the bag and playing in Edmonton? Or taking less and thriving here?

We'll see.
If Drouin wants the bag a team like San Jose or Arizona or Chicago will happily give it to him where expectations are next to nothing for the next few years.

Drouin will retire due to kicking himself in the nuts too many times before going back to Canada.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
My only issue with Drouin is long term trust.

I think Drouin's mental state effects his game ALOT, do we have enough trust that simply being in the right situation is enough for a long term deal, to trust that he won't regress if any adversity comes up along the way?

He earned a new contract this year, and someone is going to pay it, do we trust him enough for that team to be us?

The money could be found if we absolutely wanted to retain him.
I am more concerned about Georgiev's mental health effects on the game. I worry that Georgie will just flip out and swing his stick on the back of the head of one of our own players. He was fighting his own team players when he was with Rangers.

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont
I am more concerned about Georgiev's mental health effects on the game. I worry that Georgie will just flip out and swing his stick on the back of the head of one of our own players. He was fighting his own team players when he was with Rangers.
I have completely lost confidence in Georgie, I am scared every time he minds the net.

Whether it is Justus or someone else, I think we have to move Georgie next year and get in a new starter.

He is a middle of the pack guy who is wildly inconsistent, bouncing from solid starter to dreadful.

I would be ok with him as a backup, except he already proved in NY that he doesn't have the mentality to play that role.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I really do love the human element of this comeback story for Drouin.

I think it’s far more of him being happy and motivated than anything else.

Imagine getting a job working next to your best friend everyday. Said friend is obsessed with being their best everyday. All you’d want to do is be your best to help them and push towards the goal and it doesn’t feel like work anymore, because it’s fun.

Anybody who thinks he’s leeching off MacKinnon’s skill isn’t watching the games.

The skill/hockey IQ has always been there for Drouin. I think he lost his way a little bit along the way. It happens to all of us. We like to think of athletes as machines, but they’re human-beings and there’s more to motivation in life than just cashing cheques.
I said it somewhere earlier this season, imagine the career Drouin could have had if he'd been with us the whole time. Or at least since the 17-18 season, I think he would have quit for good if he had to deal with Roy and then 48 points.

There's a lot to be optimistic about with regards to what he does for his next contract, hopefully it works out well for everyone.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
GKakinyW0AYARx4.jpg

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

We'll see.
He'd possibly take a discount but not like 900k to play here vs 4M to play elsewhere.

We have 0 cap space for him unless Landy retires before July 1st.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
He'd possibly take a discount but not like 900k to play here vs 4M to play elsewhere.

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. But hopefully MacKinnon has Nazem Kadri as Ex. A in his whiteboard presentation to JD and his agent if the difference is a million bucks either way.

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
Avs definitely won't be able to afford him, so I hope they win the cup with him. I would argue he has the highest hockey IQ on the team, his reads are elite.

Reactions: Pokecheque

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Avs definitely won't be able to afford him, so I hope they win the cup with him. I would argue he has the highest hockey IQ on the team, his reads are elite.
Yeah. That would suck. Imagine getting another top six legit winger or a top line winger for FREE and then we just loose him because of the cap space.

Reactions: Zolik37

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
At the end of the day we could probably sign 3-4 Drouin's for ONE Miko. If Miko plays hardball this summer, like he did before, it's something that management at least has to concider.
Mikko played such hardball, that he signed for almost 2mil less than his closest comparable. After said comparable signed that deal BTW.

Also, if you are saying we could sign 3-4 "Drouins" for one Mikko, are you talking about the current version of Drouin? A not horrible defensively, PPG top-6 winger? For about 4mil or less? Please, tell me about some of these players. I'm willing to listen.

Reactions: Vk1ing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad