Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Jack Johnson to PTO

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Largely he has been far beyond expectations but we know that he's prone to some huge gaffes. That said I still like his play a lot more than Murray's thus far, and overall Murray hasn't been horrible either.

Now I want to see how he does against a team like Dallas. He's big enough and tough enough to withstand a hard forecheck, let's see how his puck management skills are. This is the area where Graves failed miserably.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Largely he has been far beyond expectations but we know that he's prone to some huge gaffes. That said I still like his play a lot more than Murray's thus far, and overall Murray hasn't been horrible either.

Now I want to see how he does against a team like Dallas. He's big enough and tough enough to withstand a hard forecheck, let's see how his puck management skills are. This is the area where Graves failed miserably.

But you’re underrating Graves +/- record!

Reactions: Pokecheque

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Graves could have easily been as good or better than JJ...but he was always trying stupid shit, or holding on to the puck too long. JJ just plays defence and moves the puck without making mistakes.
JJ is a hell of a lot cheaper and on a one year deal.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'll give Bednar credit, I feared he might give JMFJ a very long leash like so many other coaches seemingly have, but after one uproariously bad performance in Dallas, he got sent to the press box.

Of course, Murray got hurt the next game so we'll see him again but this is how it should go going forward. Disappointed he didn't at least show more edge against the Dallas forecheck.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I like Bednar but he has an issue with recency bias at times. JJ outplayed Murray for like 95% of the season. He has one off game and he gets benched instead of Murray? :huh:

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I like Bednar but he has an issue with recency bias at times. JJ outplayed Murray for like 95% of the season. He has one off game and he gets benched instead of Murray? :huh:
JJ may have a minor injury for all we know. He's better than Murray, so its not much of a loss losing Murray to injury

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Or he's old and could use a few days off during the season.

I mean, the Avs have had a pretty light schedule to start the year, with several 2-4 day breaks between games. So I don't really think fatigue is a big factor at this point in the season for him. But who knows the actual reason (I could see either recency bias or a minor injury).

We had another game a couple weeks ago where we had a full D group for a period and JJ got kept in over Murray. I guess its really good that we have 7 legit top 6 D-men (8 if you include MacDonald)

Reactions: MaKarter

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I completely agree. I just don't agree that Bednar giving J. Johnson a night off, for any reason, is a big deal. Or recency bias.

I think others probably feel the same as I do (though I don't necessarily feel it was the end of the world either) but JJ had one rough night, where Murray has been pretty consistently underwhelming all season. But it could have just been a switch off too, like I mentioned about a couple weeks ago. Wasn't a huge deal but I can see why it left people scratching their heads.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I completely agree. I just don't agree that Bednar giving J. Johnson a night off, for any reason, is a big deal. Or recency bias.

I don't think it's a big deal, but if JJ's not hurt, and Bednar scratched him after one off game, while he outplayed Murray the rest of the year, isn't that the definition of recency bias?

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
I don't think it's a big deal, but if JJ's not hurt, and Bednar scratched him after one off game, while he outplayed Murray the rest of the year, isn't that the definition of recency bias?
I would say Bednar is trying to make a good decision for the long term success for the team and J. Johnson. I don't think that is 'recency bias'.

Sure he is making decisions based on recent events but with the goal to maximize his player's season performance. He isn't worried about the one bad game J. Johnson had, he's looking at his next game or next 5 games and trying to make sure J. Johnson is at his best.

That's the way I see it anyway.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I would say Bednar is trying to make a good decision for the long term success for the team and J. Johnson. I don't think that is 'recency bias'.

Sure he is making decisions based on recent events but with the goal to maximize his player's season performance. He isn't worried about the one bad game J. Johnson had, he's looking at his next game or next 5 games and trying to make sure J. Johnson is at his best.

That's the way I see it anyway.

But it's not like Murray has been great lately either. So rewarding Murray by keeping him in when he hasn't played that well isn't really conducive to success.

If JJ isn't injured, I feel like Bednar may think he needs to coach him like he coached Zadorov. Keep a real tight leash and don't let him slip at all. Which would be a mistake IMO because that didn't work with Z and in a lot of ways I think it made him worse.

The tight leash hasn't really worked in other places he's been either like with Torts in Columbus or Sullivan in Pittsburgh. What's helped him is the trust the Avs have given him to just go out and play.

Last edited:
Reactions: niwotsblessing

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

It was the right decision IMO. Under normal circumstances, Murray is the better player. And while JJ has been better so far this season, the difference isn’t massive.

It may be that Bednar just felt like he needed a night off. No big deal.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Man I wasn't aware which thread I am in, I was just reading "JJ" and Murray. Though we claimed Matt Murray off waivers or traded for him in case Jonas Johansson got hurt :laugh:

Reactions: Pokecheque

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I mean, the Avs have had a pretty light schedule to start the year, with several 2-4 day breaks between games. So I don't really think fatigue is a big factor at this point in the season for him. But who knows the actual reason (I could see either recency bias or a minor injury).

We had another game a couple weeks ago where we had a full D group for a period and JJ got kept in over Murray. I guess its really good that we have 7 legit top 6 D-men (7 + 1 Norris if you include MacDonald)
FIFY. You are welcome.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I didn’t realize it until AJ mentioned it in a recent article but JJ was essentially taken off the penalty kill after that f***-up against Florida. Hardly played at all on the man disadvantage.

They had no choice but to play him on the PK in this one and sure enough, he was awful. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that, in addition to the goaltending issues, that the PK has plummeted this year now that JJ and EJ are on it. Neither of them are good at it.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I didn’t realize it until AJ mentioned it in a recent article but JJ was essentially taken off the penalty kill after that f***-up against Florida. Hardly played at all on the man disadvantage.

They had no choice but to play him on the PK in this one and sure enough, he was awful. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that, in addition to the goaltending issues, that the PK has plummeted this year now that JJ and EJ are on it. Neither of them are good at it.
EJ is pretty good at the PK

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I haven't been able to watch all the games, but from what I've seen he's not popped up too much in a negative manner. He has been pushed into a role bigger than we wanted and expected, and has not f***ed up too bad at least to my eye. I'm a lot more happy with him than with Nemeth at the Rangers I can tell you that much...

Ideally he's the #7D come playoffs, but I guess we have to brace for the fact that at least Byram isn't coming back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad