Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Jack Johnson to PTO

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Bednar on the radio today got a little confused and was talking about Jack Johnson as a big Right handed Dman and comparing him to EJ. And continued to talk about how having a right handed D on the right and left handed D play the left was important.

Very weird and interesting.. Question happens at 8minutes and 48seconds.

He must have not got enough sleep because he was wrong about that, Barron playing all 4 preseason games thus far and playing division opponents 6-8x (its 4-5x now). But overall is a good interview.

Reactions: MaKarter

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
He must have not got enough sleep because he was wrong about that, Barron playing all 4 preseason games thus far and playing division opponents 6-8x (its 4-5x now). But overall is a good interview.
The part on Olausson was a great breakdown by Bednar. He is a great interview, for a head coach, and he never really makes mistakes like the Jack Johnson thing today. Thats why it was interesting to me ha

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The part on Olausson was a great breakdown by Bednar. He is a great interview, for a head coach, and he never really makes mistakes like the Jack Johnson thing today. Thats why it was interesting to me ha
Yeah he really likes Oskar that’s for sure and I agree that was a nice explanation of what he’s looking for

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
As a fan of JJ I’m glad he’s played so well! I hope he keeps it up and they find a way to keep him as a depth guy for the next 1-2 years.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Season is still young but I like him better than Graves so far in that role. By a significant margin.
Graves could have easily been as good or better than JJ...but he was always trying stupid shit, or holding on to the puck too long. JJ just plays defence and moves the puck without making mistakes.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Graves could have easily been as good or better than JJ...but he was always trying stupid shit, or holding on to the puck too long. JJ just plays defence and moves the puck without making mistakes.

It’s the importance of hockey IQ being matched with skill set.

Reactions: AvsFan29

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Mmmmmmmm...no, not really.

They tried that with Graves. It didn't work. As I have maintained from the beginning with Graves (whom I still like as a player BTW), you can't keep him from doing stupid shit. When he's super-aggressive, jumping into the play, throwing hits, and going into corners to battle for the puck, he's at his very best. When you ask him to dial it back a notch and play a more conservative style, his game completely falls apart. In that sense, Jack Johnson has been far superior. You're not seeing as many highlight reel plays (both good and bad) which is what you want from a third pairing guy. Graves simply cannot be that type of player, and that IMO makes him a less-than-ideal third pairing defenseman. He's kind of a contradiction in that sense.

The one thing that can and should be coached out of Gravy's game is his shot selection. When he holds onto it and finds spots to shoot, then he's reasonable effective when holding the zone. When he's just blindly firing it at the net he's nothing but a liability, as we of course found out in that Vegas series.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Mmmmmmmm...no, not really.

They tried that with Graves. It didn't work. As I have maintained from the beginning with Graves (whom I still like as a player BTW), you can't keep him from doing stupid shit. When he's super-aggressive, jumping into the play, throwing hits, and going into corners to battle for the puck, he's at his very best. When you ask him to dial it back a notch and play a more conservative style, his game completely falls apart. In that sense, Jack Johnson has been far superior. You're not seeing as many highlight reel plays (both good and bad) which is what you want from a third pairing guy. Graves simply cannot be that type of player, and that IMO makes him a less-than-ideal third pairing defenseman. He's kind of a contradiction in that sense.

The one thing that can and should be coached out of Gravy's game is his shot selection. When he holds onto it and finds spots to shoot, then he's reasonable effective when holding the zone. When he's just blindly firing it at the net he's nothing but a liability, as we of course found out in that Vegas series.

At least we got some decent mileage about of Graves for a guy in Bigras who never made it in the NHL. Graves at least ended up being an NHL player.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
While I have been pleasantly surprised by JMFJ, I still don't love Murray's play thus far. Hasn't been outright horrid just not good IMO. Maybe I'm wrong as I haven't seen much of his underlying stats but he just doesn't appear to handle the puck well and loses a fair share of puck battles.

I'd take MacNorris over Murray right now, but not JJ.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
At least we got some decent mileage about of Graves for a guy in Bigras who never made it in the NHL. Graves at least ended up being an NHL player.

Yep, there's nothing to be regretful about with Graves even with that not-great playoff performance (Nemeth on the other hand...). They got something outta nothing there and parlayed him for a potential depth forward. And they got out of a contract in the process that they couldn't really afford anymore. Same kinda situation they had with Kerfoot. He was good for what they needed him for, got something for a trade, and then moved on. Good asset management in both cases.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I’ll admit I was pissed when we even gave him a PTO, but I’m eating my words now. The guy was a punchline for Penguins fans.

Seeing him utilized in a role that he can prosper though? That’s been something that has me comforted when he’s out there.

Man we are killing it on redemption stories the last few years.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I’ll admit I was pissed when we even gave him a PTO, but I’m eating my words now. The guy was a punchline for Penguins fans.

Seeing him utilized in a role that he can prosper though? That’s been something that has me comforted when he’s out there.

Man we are killing it on redemption stories the last few years.
He made some...interesting...decisions last night. He wasn't great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad