Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Jack Johnson to PTO

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Warm body for preseason. Avs have a back-to-back October 4th (at MIN) and October 5th (VGK). I'd doubt you'd have guys play in both games and there's a CBA requirement to have 8 "veterans" dressed in every preseason game.

If I had to guess, Colorado will send a "B" team to Minnesota and save most of the regulars for the home game. Having Johnson on a PTO saves you from having to make a regular do a round trip to Minnesota.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Absolutely fantastic, to have veteran experience around the team. Sign to a bargain basement contract. Joe Sakic, shooting the lights out again ! He obviously thinks he has something to offer. I'm pumped. It's pretty rare for us to convert these to contracts is all.

Reactions: Foppberg

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
He’s not good, but they need to fill out pre-season rosters.

It doesn’t hurt to add a little more depth to the 9/10/11 spot on the defensive depth chart.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Yeah this offseason.....yeah.

Well, let's hope Mac/Rantanen/Makar can carry us.

Team is more balanced this year, than last mate. With the additions of Johnson, Maltzev, Macdermid (that's huge bodies), and considering we were missing Calvert most of last year, we've automatically become much tougher to play against, and honestly, that was our only issue at times in my view.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Meh. It's just a PTO. If he plays well enough to get signed after they signed Murray and traded for MacDermid, more power to him. If anything, he could be signed, waived, and sent down to Loveland as a call-up in case of injuries.

Reactions: LOFIN

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Meh. It's just a PTO. If he plays well enough to get signed after they signed Murray and traded for MacDermid, more power to him. If anything, he could be signed, waived, and sent down to Loveland as a call-up in case of injuries.

I’m not an expert on PTO’s. Can this be accomplished on his PTO?

I’d actually be quite pleased if they could stash him in the AHL and just use him every now and then as an injury replacement.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Sorry, I meant Jack Johnson himself. So why not give him a shot. This is a very smart / astute opportunity for all involved. Love to see Parise given the same opportunity.

Okay see, this is an example of wearing burgundy-colored glasses.

Yeah, it's just a PTO, but if--heaven forbid--JJ actually signs, then it's an indictment on Joe's (and/or the Pro scouts') ability to adequately evaluate talent.

Jack, as much a his personal story re: his parents f***ing him over financially breaks my heart, is not a good NHL hockey player anymore. Hell, he might not even be a good AHL player at this point.

Obviously the games have to be played, but to me it's looking more and more like last year might have been their best shot at a Cup, and what we're seeing is Joe hanging on to this MacKinnon-contract window before having to re-tool when he re-ups.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Jack Johnson is no better than anyone in our Top-7 - he's not making this team. This is not unlike an Andrei Meszaros PTO - I doubt we sign him. Seems like a favor from MacFarland to the agent with a player he's familiar with than anything else. JMFJ is done. He was done 3 years ago.

Reactions: katfude

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
People been saying this guys cooked for years now yet he keeps getting opportunities from GMs. He seems like a terrible fit for this particular team imo.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
He'll be here for a few preseason games and then he'll be gone. At least he seems like a decent teammate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad