Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Ian Cole (3 years, $4.25M/yr)

atreyuavenged

Nov 28, 2013
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I wouldn't mind Zadorov at 8/40, all the up to 8/46. Don't think he will ever be a huge offensive presence, but he does chip in some points and his physical presence cannot be denied. A guy who frequently gets penalties for being too big.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
How has Ian Cole earned that spot over them? Because he's been on cup winning teams in a low depth role?

I’m not saying he has, but he has shown more consistentcy then all of the other left handed options that are currently on the team. Ideally Zadarov can continue to build on his strong play and take the top left side, but I’ll say it again, Cole is a good signing and the blue line is better today with him on it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Also not real thrilled with this deal either. To me Cole is a 4/5 D that can play in a top 4 in long spurts with a good partner, but is really a guy you want on the bottom pairing. To me this is way too much money for a guy you want on your bottom pairing. Yeah this moves Nemeth down the lineup and give some depth to the org on D, but I don't see what the extra 1.75m really brings here over Hickey... or the $2m over Manning. Not the end of the world, but not a fan of this deal.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Also not real thrilled with this deal either. To me Cole is a 4/5 D that can play in a top 4 in long spurts with a good partner, but is really a guy you want on the bottom pairing. To me this is way too much money for a guy you want on your bottom pairing. Yeah this moves Nemeth down the lineup and give some depth to the org on D, but I don't see what the extra 1.75m really brings here over Hickey... or the $2m over Manning. Not the end of the world, but not a fan of this deal.
He's better than Nemeth though and Nemeth isn't even signed

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Being better than Nemeth doesn't make it a good deal though... Nemeth isn't signed but is a qualified RFA with arbitration rights... he is as good as signed.
True , I agree the Cole deal is too much $ but it does give more depth on defense which is always good .

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I feel like you can do worse than Cole for this type of defenseman; he plays really with PMDs and had a huge part in Schultz's reemergence in Pittsburgh. He plays both sides effectively so I could see him paired with either Barrie or Girard and doing well. When Johnson is injured, I'd rather see him see a bump in minutes as opposed to Nemeth or Barberio, whose play significantly degrades as their TOI goes up.

The money sucks, but whatever. If Cole works out well we're not going to be too mad about the money. If he doesn't work out well, that probably means he's in a fight with Bednar, in which case they'll probably dump him somewhere. Pens fans were mad that Cole got traded last deadline simply because it wasn't really a cap or play matter; it was purely a power struggle between him and Sullivan. So if Bednar vs. Soderberg 2.0: Ian Cole Edition starts up, things could get dicey.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Screenshot_2018-07-02-10-30-44.png Screenshot_2018-07-02-10-26-11.png

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I don't think anyone is unhappy with Cole. It's the contract that is problematic. At $4.25m a season the contract is at the very least a negative asset but might even be an unmovable contract. Come next off-season or even the following one the Avs might wish they had that money back.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
I don't think anyone is unhappy with Cole. It's the contract that is problematic. At $4.25m a season the contract is at the very least a negative asset but might even be an unmovable contract. Come next off-season or even the following one the Avs might wish they had that money back.

It’s a three year deal, not a 7 year. Plus Colorado is no where near the cap this year.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
It’s a three year deal, not a 7 year. Plus Colorado is no where near the cap this year.
3 years is still a long time. Especially when you consider the logjam of depth defenders and upcoming defensive prospects.

It doesn't really matter how far the Avs are from the cap as the Avs aren't a cap team.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
3 years is still a long time. Especially when you consider the logjam of depth defenders and upcoming defensive prospects.

It doesn't really matter how far the Avs are from the cap as the Avs aren't a cap team.

3 years is nothing, it's once you hit 4+ where things start to get long.

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015

The Avs are a cap team. The team has spent to the cap on multiple occasions. Just because they aren't doing it now doesn't mean they are not a cap team. I brought this up before and I will again, who is Cole blocking from moving up on the left side? Timmins, Meloche and Makar are all righties, and are at best 2 years away from needing to crack the line up full time. Cole was more than likely signed to help insulate either Barrie or Girard.

Reactions: arun

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
At best he helps our younger defenders, that focus the offensive game first, develop and play better.

At worst we can eat a bit of cap on a marginally overpaid deal and send him off somewhere for an asset.

Not like we'll be cap pressed in the next few seasons.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
At best he helps our younger defenders, that focus the offensive game first, develop and play better.

At worst we can eat a bit of cap on a marginally overpaid deal and send him off somewhere for an asset.

Not like we'll be cap pressed in the next few seasons.

The worst case is he inflates the salaries on the team by having a high cap hit for a lesser role. Why would Z accept any less than 4.25m when he will player a bigger role? Or if Nemeth outplays Cole next season, why would he settle for less?

xbestboybandever

Jun 24, 2015
The worst case is he inflates the salaries on the team by having a high cap hit for a lesser role. Why would Z accept any less than 4.25m when he will player a bigger role? Or if Nemeth outplays Cole next season, why would he settle for less?

Please oh please let Z and Nemeth outplay Cole. If that happens, then they deserve the raise.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Well his initial role will probably be the #5, maybe #4 (I've got faith Girard can play in the top 4 next year), and players (and teams) absolutely respect Cup rings. I doubt there will be a problem.

I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell Nemeth surpasses Cole in the next three years either lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00