Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Ian Cole (3 years, $4.25M/yr)

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I know I'm biased just cause my bff knows his family, but I'm ok with this despite the AAV being a full mill higher than I'd be happy for a guy who should be our #5 if Girard doesn't regress. Cole is basically what we hope Nemeth can grow into & still has plenty of tread left on the tires, so I really don't mind the player

...although I don't think I'll ever get on board with the price tag. Especially if they idea is to play him with EJ or Barrie to "let" Girard get his own pairing instead of "forcing" him to play with EJ...

But at least he should be flippable with a little retention throughout the deal, so worst comes to worst, it's a solveable problem.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I know I'm biased just cause my bff knows his family, but I'm ok with this despite the AAV being a full mill higher than I'd be happy for a guy who should be our #5 if Girard doesn't regress. Cole is basically what we hope Nemeth can grow into & still has plenty of tread left on the tires, so I really don't mind the player

...although I don't think I'll ever get on board with the price tag. Especially if they idea is to play him with EJ or Barrie to "let" Girard get his own pairing instead of "forcing" him to play with EJ...

But at least he should be flippable with a little retention throughout the deal, so worst comes to worst, it's a solveable problem.

Yeah, I hope his contract isn’t an indication of expected use. I hope we overpaid a bottom pairing defender so that we have good depth when injuries hit. I’m a bit afraid we gave him middle pairing money because we’re going to force him onto the top pairing and try to make him eat 22+ minutes per night. That hasn’t worked well for us in the past and I don’t expect Cole to buck that trend. I think Sakic learned his lesson on that, but well see.

Reactions: cgf

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Can somebody tell me what I can expect of Cole? How does he play, what have been his strengths, what have been his weaknesses? I don't know crap about him, I'm afraid.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
number of shot attempts allowed per 60 minutes with Savard on the ice dropped from 33.2 to 28.69 once Cole was paired with him, according to five-on-five data collected from NaturalStatTrick.com. The team surrendered more than four fewer scoring chances against and the goals against dropped from 2.8 per 60 minutes to 2.19. The biggest impact came in turning away medium-danger chances, where goals against dropped from 1.03 per 60 minutes to just 0.24.
Savard said Cole’s nonstop communication on the ice helped him regain his poise when retrieving pucks and making passes out of the defensive zone.

A snippet from Tom Reed’s article about Ian Cole from the athletic

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Is he better than Nemeth in a shut down role?

No he isn't and not many dmen out there are more valuable than Nemeth on pk but Cole obviously have some other qualities which Nemeth don't have yet. Cole is the better allrounder right now.

Nemeth is definitely still developing, adapting and learning though after increasing icetime and responsibility last season, not sure if Cole is?

Personally I wish the Avs would have used this and more money on an offensive star player instead (a dman or a forward). Also feeling doubt about Bernier, he was very good for the Avs but obviously not good enough for management?

Last edited:

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Nemeth is only great on the PK because he always ices the puck whenever he touches it. It’s when he touches the puck at even strength and does the same thing that probably gets on the coaches’ nerves. Cole should be able to make a pass out of the zone to the forwards. Maybe not a Karlsson stretch pass or lob, but good enough to let the guys make a breakout happen without creating an icing situation.

Reactions: shadow1

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Nemeth is only great on the PK because he always ices the puck whenever he touches it. It’s when he touches the puck at even strength and does the same thing that probably gets on the coaches’ nerves. Cole should be able to make a pass out of the zone to the forwards. Maybe not a Karlsson stretch pass or lob, but good enough to let the guys make a breakout happen without creating an icing situation.
Don't get your hopes up

Reactions: BrickAHL

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Well, both Nemeth and Cole being "last man standing" stay at home type of dmen you for sure ask a lot from them.

After (almost) single-handedly saving the situation you also want them to stick handle through a couple of players and finally make a beautiful pass out of the zone to the forward scoring a goal on the breakaway? ;-)

Stay at home dmen and goalies are heroes.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Well, both Nemeth and Cole being "last man standing" stay at home type of dmen you for sure ask a lot from them.

After (almost) single-handedly saving the situation you also want them to stick handle through a couple of players and finally make a beautiful pass out of the zone to the forward scoring a goal on the breakaway? ;-)

Breakout, not breakaway. You still need to be able to move the puck, even if you’re a stay-at-home guy. Otherwise you’re just Duncan Siemens.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
It seems like Nemeth has no confidence in his ability to skate with the puck. I see no reason why he doesn't take a few extra strides with it so that he ends up on the right side of the line to prevent an icing.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Literally nobody is saying this

Reactions: 21

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Cole has a bit more grit than Nemeth as well. He's not a punisher, or a regular hitter like Z, but he does make them on occasion, and he'll be tougher to play against in front of the net.

He'll drop the gloves a couple times a year too.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Cole has a bit more grit than Nemeth as well. He's not a punisher, or a regular hitter like Z, but he does make them on occasion, and he'll be tougher to play against in front of the net.

He'll drop the gloves a couple times a year too.

Strongly doubt Cole is physically stronger in situations fighting for the puck and also Nemeth is the taller one with slightly more weight but perhaps Cole being more gritty and hits more which is very good and also entertaining, I fully agree. Well, something you should get for these kind of money... he is currently valued being more than twice as good. ;-)

Defense is important and it may turn out being a great signing, perhaps Cole together with Nemeth on pk will be a really good couple. Like I have been writing a couple of times I wish Avs saved this money for a star signing though (which we desperately need).

Last edited:

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Literally nobody is saying this

You are right, my point is that people sometimes ask too much from these kind of defensive defensemen. Sometimes I get the impression that single handedly saving the situation isn't enough for some fans. Stats rarely lies and Nemeth's defensive stats from last season are impressive.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
You are right, my point is that people sometimes ask too much from these kind of defensive defensemen. Sometimes I get the impression that single handedly saving the situation isn't enough for some fans. Stats rarely lies and Nemeth's defensive stats from last season are impressive.

?Which Nemeth has never done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad