Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Ian Cole (3 years, $4.25M/yr)

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Joe will never get the whole " properly identify defensemen" thing down it seems.

It's pretty much a given that the final year will be bought out.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Cole is definitely better than Nemeth but having both is overkill. The fear is that those two are going to end up playing way more than they should, and Z and Girard will see a dip in ice time. I have yet to see anything from Bednar and company that indicates Nemeth won’t be playing a lot.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Cole is definitely better than Nemeth but having both is overkill. The fear is that those two are going to end up playing way more than they should, and Z and Girard will see a dip in ice time. I have yet to see anything from Bednar and company that indicates Nemeth won’t be playing a lot.

I have the same fears regarding Z's and Girard's ice time. I agree that we will not see a reduction of ice time for Nemeth, which will create a redundancy of non-puck moving D in the rotation. I expect Bednar to give loads of ice time to players like Cole, Calvert, Nemeth, and Bourque, because that is what he likes from his players.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
That is ugly in both term and dollars. I'm not a fan of his at all, and that's basically middle pair money for a bottom pair stopgap at best.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I'm hoping that the Avs are going with:

Zadorov-EJ
Cole-Barrie
Nemeth-Girard

I could live with it, although I think Girard is already better than 3rd pairing minutes. It seems like it is either him or Z getting pushed down or out of the lineup in favor of Barberio. I think Bednar really likes Barberio as well.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I could live with it, although I think Girard is already better than 3rd pairing minutes. It seems like it is either him or Z getting pushed down or out of the lineup in favor of Barberio. I think Bednar really likes Barberio as well.

I'm hoping that Girard establishes himself a bit more and we end up rolling with:

Zadorov-Barrie
Girard-EJ
Cole-Nemeth

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
I'm hoping that the Avs are going with:

Zadorov-EJ
Cole-Barrie
Nemeth-Girard
I would rather see:

Zadorov-Barrie
Girard-EJ
Cole-Nemeth

Z and EJ are the same player, sold defensively and mediocre offensively. I'd rather see Girard be sheltered with EJ (assuming G is ready for top 4 min). Now each line has a puck mover and defensive D on it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't mind this by any means. AAV is a tad high, but three years is nothing in the hockey world and he's coming off a fantastic postseason with the Blue Jackets. He's pretty much a consistent #4 version of Duncan Siemens and honestly who would hate that? Character bloke that knows what it takes to win and you can never have too many defenders. Competition elevates everyone elses' game.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
I don't mind this by any means. AAV is a tad high, but three years is nothing in the hockey world and he's coming off a fantastic postseason with the Blue Jackets. He's pretty much a consistent #4 version of Duncan Siemens and honestly who would hate that? Character bloke that knows what it takes to win and you can never have too many defenders. Competition elevates everyone elses' game.

This times 1000

He is a shut down defender and a class act in the locker room. He will immediately be a team leader on a team full of kids.

Every winning team has guys like him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Barrie is flipped for a forward and Girard takes his minutes.

Zadorov-EJ
Cole-Girard
Nemeth-Barberio

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
On the ice it's not a big deal. If he can help bring Nemeth down from 20 to 18 minutes a game, it would help. And with EJ preliminarily having scheduled a season ending injury for mid February, it's good to have depth.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
The more I think about it the less I hate it. Its not an ideal AAV but he can be exposed in the expansion draft and should take some PK time.

Reactions: Foppberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad