Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Ian Cole (3 years, $4.25M/yr)

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
He had a decent year last year and a great year the season prior. If we can get anywhere in the middle of the last two seasons I'm fine with this deal. I expect him to be worse and continue to get worse though based on the way he skates.

Hoping for the best but don't like this deal.

Reactions: MacBradley

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
marginal upgrade on Barberio for this contract? he better not take minutes from the kids. and Sakic better not shy away from buying him out down the road. it's bound to happen.

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
This prevents guys like Mark Alt ever stepping onto NHL ice again, replacing EJ on the top pairing no less, and everyone here hates this. I don't get it, I love this signing. We aren't close to the cap, this deal is for 3 years...and people are losing it my god. Gives us 3 solid pairs and a good 7th in case of injury.

Zad-EJ
Nemeth-Barrie
Cole-Girard
Barberio

Good on ya Joe, keep it up!

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I don't mind the player I mind the money. Avs do have a lot of cap space.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
After my knee jerk reaction, I don't think it's that bad. Obviously better targets, but based off of what both what Columbus and Pittsburgh fans have to say, he's still a great player and isn't absurdly overpaid.

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
He won't be on the third pairing making that kinda money. Like others said a million too much but he is decent player.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I guess the bonus here is that we can see Cole and Zadorov obliterate people.

Ian Cole doesn’t obliterate anybody. Thinking of the wrong guy maybe?

He has averaged less hits than Tyson Barrie over his career. Wasn’t even at 2 per game last year.

This guy isn’t all that physical. He’s a shot blocking, crease clearing defenseman who struggles to move his feet and make an outlet pass.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

He has averaged less hits than Tyson Barrie over his career. Wasn’t even at 2 per game last year.

This guy isn’t all that physical. He’s a shot blocking, crease clearing defenseman who struggles to move his feet and make an outlet pass.

He still does a lot of things righr, there's a reason why his past two teams both would've liked him back (albeit at a cheaper cap hit).

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

I mean he doesn't do it very often, but he can hit. Also, decent amount of fights. I'm trying to find a positive here RIAL!

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

All that's left is calling him a warrior and you've got bad defenseman bingo in 2018.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
I thought I would stop in and let you know more about Ian Cole. Cole was buried in St. Louis for years to hide the fact that he was better offensively than Jay Boumeester. Bouwmeester was the Blues biggest free agent signing the last decade. Playing mostly as a 6th or 7th d man Cole out pointed Bouwmeester playing 14 minutes a game when he was in the line-up. In Pittsburgh the Pens invested heavily in Brian Dumolin and Oli Maata and Cole was the odd left side d man left out. If you did not watch the last two Pens cup wins you might not appreciate him. 9 points for a bottom pairing guy ( Cole is really a top 4 ). Cole Virtually never gets any powerplay time but Cole would probably out point many NHL defensemen that do. A terrific shot that is accurate and finds the net. A quick outlet pass and 3 step d man who will turn your burners into top guns if they can finish. Was 3rd in blocked shots and 11th in hits 2 seasons ago while scoring 24 points. His biggest asset is his plus minus and during the 2016-2017 season was 11th in the entire NHL at a plus 26 and is a plus 75 over 405 career NHL games. not bad for a 3rd pairing guy who can play in the top 4 and play both sides. If you use this player correctly you just got the best value in this class of free agents.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
I will look forward to him taking dumb penalties and curse this contract

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
This is instantly the worst contract on the team.

I won’t complain too much because this signing does make the Avalanche a better team today. Cole is a veteran guy with lots of experience, and provides insurance in the event guys like Nemeth/Barberio take a step back this year.

But the fact is this deal pays him #4/borderline #3 money. To me, Cole is a guy who I could see being scratched a couple times this year if he’s in a down stretch. Too much money for a guy like that.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
"Ian has been a part of two (Stanley) Cup teams, brings leadership and a veteran presence to our blue line," said Avalanche Executive Vice President & General Manager Joe Sakic. "He's a strong puck-moving defenseman who is solid in his own zone and kills penalties. We are pleased to have him under contract for the next three years."

Avalanche Signs Ian Cole

Referring to him as a strong puck-moving defenseman is funny. Also, the last thing I want to hear about is his Stanley Cup experience and veteran presence.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Indifferent about this. On one hand, it's to much AAV but on the other hand, it's only for 3 years and it prevents Alt and Barberio from any significant NHL time. Hopefully he doesn't take any time away from the youngins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad