Confirmed with Link: Avs sign F Samuel Henley

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I mean fast tracking. By signing some overagers to make LE competitive, and let our draft picks develop properly. Obviously I don't think all these guys are going to be NHLers.

This^^
LEM needs help now. Get a winning culture down there going so then Roy doesn't have to use a defenseman as the 12th forward. Our development system is a mess and Roy sees that. We've seen that Roy will give you minutes if he trusts you, there's no one trust worthy down in LEM. Until Roy can go through enough drafts to fill up LEM we're going to get more and more of these signings. How great would it be if we could call up players that can pull their weight in the NHL? The Red Wings and Lightning sure gained a lot from their minor league system contributing to their NHL success. Jurco, Tatar, Nyquist, Johnson, Palat, Brown, etc. We need more then one player every few years being able to go from the AHL to NHL.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
30 goals and 69 points isn't that impressive for a 20 year only in the Q. Maybe he's a good on the forecheck or PK.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I suspect the Avs are going to go heavy on the Q for the next few years as Roy probably has a wish list from coaching there.

Hopefully it will turn into an advantage like San Jose's German scouting used to be or the Red Wings' Swedish scouts.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Meh AHL depth signing. I really don't think that Henley has a NHL future, but he is a big body that can play good defense, be physical, and fight when needed. Could be a solid 3rd/4th line AHL player in a year or two. His biggest flaw IMO is that he tends to play with his head down... if he continues that in the pros, he doesn't have a chance.

His youngest brother is a very intriguing prospect for 2015...

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Slight difference between Sherm Hemsley and Hunter Hearst Helmsley.

Can't quite put my finger on that difference, though.

You know what? I figured it out...it's "Rock Lobster can't read" syndrome...it affects 100% of Rock Lobster's living today. :laugh:

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
I like these signings. Sooner or later the teams going to get lucky and a couple of these guys will turn into solid NHL players.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
It's 69 points in only 51 games, and it's a pretty big jump from the prior year. Also 22 points in 16 playoff games.

I realise that but it's the Q and he's 20. That's only an average performance. I'm just saying that there must be something else about his game other then his scoring that attracted the attention of the scouts.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
I think you mean that explains how Mantha's numbers got so inflated...

Lolz this :cheers:

In all seriousness, though, his numbers are promising and might show that as he has grown into his size his game has greatly improved. Playing with a top prospect like Mantha also will help his development. Could explain why he was not drafted, didn't make it out of Blues camp last Sept (although they also have significant defensive depth).

johockey

Mar 25, 2014
The Foreurs play Halifax tonight I believe. Game 7 in the playoff semi finals. I'll watch out for him and see how good he is.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
per one poster here who watches lot of foreurs:

skating an issue, prone to be undisciplined, very good defensively, uses his size well. forechecks well, work ethic is good, good leader, not much offensive upside, projects as a role player.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
per one poster here who watches lot of foreurs:

skating an issue, prone to be undisciplined, very good defensively, uses his size well. forechecks well, work ethic is good, good leader, not much offensive upside, projects as a role player.

Sounds like a good project, with an attainable positive outcome. Equals good signing in my book.

Skating, and discipline are often problems for younger players that project to a bottom 6 role and can easily be improved. Both were issues for guys like McLeod, McCormick, and Bordy to begin with.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Not a big fan of this guy. Bottom 6 AHL future IMO. But it'll be good to have some size amongst the youngsters in Erie and it shows the Avs are looking to improve the organizational depth. Always a positive sign.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad