Confirmed with Link: Avs sign F Joonas Donskoi ($3.9m AAV x 4y)

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
But you would have to find a guy you were okay keeping or was worth the opportunity cost of losing a contract to Seattle.
There were a few AHLers/replacement level guys that were excess to teams exposure requirements who could have been had for very cheap and then flipped after the ExD.

Not saying that would have been the right approach, just pointing out that it would have been possible if Sakic wanted to protect Donskoi. Losing a contract was clearly what Sakic wanted to do though, and I don't blame him.

Reactions: MarkT

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Good riddance, I want players who perform in the playoffs and he's one of the biggest culprits. Kraks drafting him or Compher is a win for us in the long-run.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I liked Dong in the sense that I didn't hate him. He showed flashes of greatness, and then moments where he didn't seem to necessarily contribute but also didn't really cause many problems. Seemed like a good dude, with some good skills. Best of luck in Seattle.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Dong should really thrive in Seattle. Going to get top 9 minutes, PP time, and allowed to be a bit inconsistent as he isn't being pushed for ice time yet. I could see 45-50 points out of him quite easily there... just as long as he is only introduced by Shawn Kemp.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Good riddance, I want players who perform in the playoffs and he's one of the biggest culprits. Kraks drafting him or Compher is a win for us in the long-run.

Donskoi does play well in the playoffs though and he did for the Avs. 6 goals and 11 points in his last 19 games. That's not bad for a 3rd liner.

Reactions: Hornstar and LOFIN

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Oh f*** off will you. He's performed to the level expected out of him. His production is the exactly the same in the playoffs as in the regular season (0.47 vs 0.46).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Donskoi does play well in the playoffs though and he did for the Avs. 6 goals and 11 points in his last 19 games. That's not bad for a 3rd liner.
Oh f*** off will you. He's performed to the level expected out of him. His production is the exactly the same in the playoffs as in the regular season (0.47 vs 0.46).
It's how he does it though. You want...no you NEED consistent players who can contribute over a seven game span. It's the same problem I have with Burakovsky, they show up one series and then go missing the next. However, because they absolutely dominate the first series that over-boosts their underlying numbers and point totals. I would've preferred Compher as the Krakens choice since he obviously doesn't have the same peak offensive threat as Donskoi does, but don't you think this was bad (this is a total win for us). We need more Calverts', less of these blokes and I am not taking any prisoners here. I've been harsh on Landeskog and I will be the same on anybody I consider a failure from this last playoff run MacKinnon included.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Donskoi's signing brought a mixed reaction from the fan base and he had a very hot and cold tenure in Denver, but he was definitely a good fit with the Avalanche.

As sad as it is to say, Donskoi was probably the most solid 3rd line forward this team has had in the last decade. Prior to his arrival, Colorado's third line had been a never-ending potpourri of weird reclamation projects and corpses dug up from the grave (Brassard, Briere, Grigorenko, Talbot, Yakupov, etc.).

Adding a solid veteran in Donskoi to the middle-6 really helped the Avalanche get over the hump from bubble team to cup contender.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Donskoi's signing brought a mixed reaction from the fan base and he had a very hot and cold tenure in Denver, but he was definitely a good fit with the Avalanche.

As sad as it is to say, Donskoi was probably the most solid 3rd line forward this team has had in the last decade. Prior to his arrival, Colorado's third line had been a never-ending potpourri of weird reclamation projects and corpses dug up from the grave (Brassard, Briere, Grigorenko, Talbot, Yakupov, etc.).

Adding a solid veteran in Donskoi to the middle-6 really helped the Avalanche get over the hump from bubble team to cup contender.

That's what I never understood about the Donskoi criticism. Somehow people forgot how awful the Avs third line was for like a decade+ before Donskoi arrived.

Even as a middle sixer that could fill in on the 2nd line, he was better than most of the middle sixers they tried in the past.

Reactions: shadow1

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'll sit in our GDTs and say the right thing, like I don't believe you should have to fight for laying a clean hit. Then I see this hit, and by the rules it was "clean", Donskoi just had no idea it was coming.

Then I see Kadri step up, and we all know his history but the first thing that popped into my mind was, that's a damn good penalty to take Nazem.

God I'm such a freaking hypocrite.

Anyways, it freakin' sucks that this happened to Joonas. I wish him best post-playing days. Wouldn't be completely surprised if we saw him behind the bench at some point. Hard working guys who pay attention to details...a lot of those types turn out to be pretty decent coaches.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'll sit in our GDTs and say the right thing, like I don't believe you should have to fight for laying a clean hit. Then I see this hit, and by the rules it was "clean", Donskoi just had no idea it was coming.

Then I see Kadri step up, and we all know his history but the first thing that popped into my mind was, that's a damn good penalty to take Nazem.

Anyways, it freakin' sucks that this happened to Joonas. I wish him best post-playing days. Wouldn't be completely surprised if we saw him behind the bench at some point. Hard working guys who pay attention to details...a lot of those types turn out to be pretty decent coaches.

It's not you, the sport has just gotten too dangerous for the current rules and the league doesn't want to change them until someone successfully sues them for their negligence and forces the league to try protecting its employees.

UnkleKraker

May 31, 2007
Washington State

I felt/feel exactly the same way in every aspect.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
It's not you, the sport has just gotten too dangerous for the current rules and the league doesn't want to change them until someone successfully sues them for their negligence and forces the league to try protecting its employees.
Hey there, old friend. How the heck are you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad