Confirmed with Link: Avs Sign Byram to ELC

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
We needed Ottawa to suck though, so it's not as easy as to say we've sucked for an entire decade when it was out of our hands. I mean we did suck for an entire decade, no need to hide that fact and we find our team is now in that position because of high-end 1st and 2nd round picks. But I wouldn't directly put Byram here because of the Matt Duchene trade even though that is the trade's history. Ottawa gave us Byram because of their own ineptitude, when they made the trade they were thinking the pick would be somewhere around 17th to 23rd.

But we acquired the pick through our own ineptitude. It was supposed to be in 2018, but the Sens sucked and we got lucky. If we didn't suck and Duchene was leading us to the promised land, we wouldn't have gotten that pick.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I figure he'll get a chance in camp and if he doesn't look out of place, will get his 9 games...with the avs stretching those out a little if needed.

If those 9 games go well then you keep him up until deciding for good before the 40-game mark...when he'd clock a season towards UFA...even if that means platooning him with Graves/Rosen as the third pairing PMD; so he's not overwhelmed and given plenty of time to observe / learn / adapt if he's not ready for a full time gig right away.
If you're going to use that logic, Byram comes from that too.

And it's not like we got Cale for how well we did in 2017...

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Byram came from Ottawa's pick though...
Zadorov came from the Ryan O'Reilly - who was a second round pick - trade...
EJ came from the MBP trade...
Barrie came from drafting him past the first round...
Timmins is a 2nd round pick...

Only players who we got from sucking for a decade is Samuel Girard when we picked Duchene 3rd overall (which was the start of the rebuild) and Cale Makar (where Roy quit on the club three weeks before training camp).
Yeah but those 2nd round picks also were high 2nds because Avs sucked, and didn't EJ come from Shattenkirk trade who was a 14th pick?

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
Love it, hope he's good to go this season with the big club, it'd solve any issues with depth. Remember when defense was this team's biggest weakness? Great job by Joe. Find some chemistry on the second line while Mack and Rants do their thing and the Avs are gonna be back up where they belong.

Reactions: flyfysher

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Love it, hope he's good to go this season with the big club, it'd solve any issues with depth. Remember when defense was this team's biggest weakness? Great job by Joe. Find some chemistry on the second line while Mack and Rants do their thing and the Avs are gonna be back up where they belong.
I'd say that's the case to start the season.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Well Heiskanen wasn't a finalist this year... you never know even after a great season.

If Makar is held to 30 points next year he won’t be a finalist either.

If Makar puts up 30 this year we’ll have bigger complaints than him not getting a Calder nod.

We’re all-in on Makar now, like it or not.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Let's hope he has a solid off season puts on some muscle/strength then impresses big time at camp.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I'm definitely in the minority here, but I want him to get his 9 games then go back to junior. He's still a teenager, and the last thing I would want to do is screw up his development (see: Jost, Tyson) by having him play in the NHL then watch his performance fall off a cliff midway through the season. It's happened many times before, and when you don't have the AHL as an option it really handcuffs you. Let him go play with Trent Miner and dominate in Vancouver, then step into the NHL next year 100% ready both mentally and physically.

Honestly the only way I keep him up is if he's hands-down our best defenseman in those first 9 games and basically forces the team's hand. Even then I'd be carefully eyeing that 40 game mark as well.

Last edited:

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
I'm definitely in the minority here, but I want him to get his 9 games then go back to junior. He's still a teenager, and the last thing I would want to do is screw up his development (see: Jost, Tyson) by having him play in the NHL then watch his performance fall of a cliff midway through the season. It's happened many times before, and when you don't have the AHL as an option it rally handcuffs you. Let him go play with Trent Miner and dominate in Vancouver, then step into the NHL next year 100% ready both mentally and physically.

Honestly the only way I keep him up is if he's hands-down our best defenseman in those first 9 games and basically forces the team's hand. Even then I'd be carefully eyeing that 40 game mark as well.
I agree. I would like to see him in the world juniors this year and try to win a championship with Vancouver. We don’t need to rush him in to the nhl just yet

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Hopefully he has to be NHL ready to stick and not just good enough to play with Cole out.

Hard to tell where he is at and how much he can improve staying in Vancouver. That's what the training camps are for.

We all saw what being patient did for Makar, so him going back would probably not be the worst thing.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
If Makar is held to 30 points next year he won’t be a finalist either.

If Makar puts up 30 this year we’ll have bigger complaints than him not getting a Calder nod.

We’re all-in on Makar now, like it or not.

True on all counts but I just can't see him accumulating less than 40 playing with MacKinnon and on 1st PP and OT. Makar has a cherubic mug but also has a solid physique. So I'm not as concerned about his stamina over the course of a season. It's more a matter of a lack of experience at the NHL level.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I'm just glad Joe stopped being allergic to D men in the 1st round.

Reactions: avsfan09

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
I like the fact that the expiration of Byram's ELC doesn't coincide with Mackinnon's contract year (presuming that he stay up this season).

In fact, it's nice that the contracts of all our core players are quite staggered/spread across the next 4 years:

(...)

• Mackinnon
  • Johnson
  • Donskoi
  • Compher
  • + Newhook?

quite confident that Mack resigning alone will eat EJ's contract. just hope we don't need that cap space before that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad