Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Blake Comeau 3 Years, 2.4 AAV

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
If he can play that McGinn role and prevent McLeod from moving above the 4th line, that's a welcomed addition. Still don't understand the need to make him THE target though. It'll be interesting to see what Fehr, Ward, Glencross, etc get.

Yup, I like Comeau, he is an upgrade. But seeing guys like Condra get 1.25M and Stålberg 1.1M makes me a bit jealous.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Yup, I like Comeau, he is an upgrade. But seeing guys like Condra get 1.25M and Stålberg 1.1M makes me a bit jealous.

Condra is good but he wouldn't be a replacement for Mcginn as he is too small. Stalberg is a fringe NHL player so neither of them really work.

Avs did overpay for him but a lot of the wingers are probably asking for close to 4 which is far too much for the Avs blood. Guy has a good shot so he should add some stability to the bottom 6 which was a need.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Sakic said they anticipate him being healthy for training camp on the conference call before the draft. Nothing else.

His concussion symptoms were really intense and his career is probably over. If he is able to play he will be a welcome addition but I wouldn't expect much at this point. I think Avs are just being a solid organization and letting him finish out his contract before retiring.

FoppaForsberg*

His concussion symptoms were really intense and his career is probably over. If he is able to play he will be a welcome addition but I wouldn't expect much at this point. I think Avs are just being a solid organization and letting him finish out his contract before retiring.

Did you not understand what he said? Sakic: He will be healthy by training camp...

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Don't mind this. The ELCs will eventually push him to the 4th line maybe as early as next season, but for now not a bad signing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah... I would say he is more of a 25-30 point guy who can chip in ~15 goals. A good player to have when injuries hit as he can move up the lineup, but will be good for us in a bottom 6 role.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Guys this is a lot better signing then everyone thinks.

He's basically a 40 point forward for under 2.5M. He'll be a great 3rd liner and suitable Top 6 fillin.

You're going to be severely disappointed. More so than those who actually see the signing for what it is.

In his last 283 games, he has 32 goals, 42A. That works out to about 9G, 12A per 82 games on average, and that's including an over inflated season where he was playing way over his head with Malkin due to injuries in pittsburgh.

If we get 20P out of him I'd be shocked. It also probably means we've been hit hard by injuries if he does.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
If we get 20P out of him I'd be shocked. It also probably means we've been hit hard by injuries if he does.
I think that's quite a low expectation looking at what he did last season.

I expect around 10-15 goals and 25-35 points.
That would be okay if he provides a solid 2-way game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
You're going to be severely disappointed. More so than those who actually see the signing for what it is.

In his last 283 games, he has 32 goals, 42A. That works out to about 9G, 12A per 82 games on average, and that's including an over inflated season where he was playing way over his head with Malkin due to injuries in pittsburgh.

I think you meant 238 and not 283.

Over his past 222 games he has averaged .33 points per game (27 points over 82 games). Include his 16 disastrous games (where the 238 games comes in) with the Isles in 11-12 that goes down to .31 points per game or ~25-26 point pace. Since 07-08 he has put up 195 points in 480 games... a 33 point pace.

If he is healthy... he is easily a 20 point player.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I think that's quite a low expectation looking at what he did last season.

I expect around 10-15 goals and 25-35 points.
That would be okay if he provides a solid 2-way game.

He was playing on a second line with Malkin for a lot of that year. I don't think at 29 he's suddenly hitting his stride. I think maybe a slight improvement over what his average has been would be an okay expectation but his biggest years have come when he was put in a situation playing way too high in a line up and of course he's going to end up with more points that way. The problem is he still ended up with a lot less points than a skilled player would get in those roles.

He's not a middle 6 guy, he's a third or 4th line guy. I'm not going to take one year's stats in an 8 year career and believe he's suddenly going to do that and more.

There's a reason he's been passed from team to team and struggled everywhere except when put with Malkin and Tavares.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I think you meant 238 and not 283.

You're correct, good ole dyslexia.

Still, I believe there is a major inflation based on his one year playing too high in Pittsburgh's line up. He wasn't there because he was playing amazingly.

edit: We can agree on 20-25 points. Let's not expect 40P from the man. It will just lead to too much *****ing and moaning about him being garbage if people expect to set the bar that high. We see it way too much. "Well this guy had 30P once, because he's on OUR team now, he should be good for 40-45 easy! Then he's just himself and suddenly he's garbage because we're nuts.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
You're correct, good ole dyslexia.

Still, I believe there is a major inflation based on his one year playing too high in Pittsburgh's line up. He wasn't there because he was playing amazingly.

Well, let's take that year out... Using his time since Calgary and through his first year in Pittsburgh... 161 games where he piled up 43 points. That is a 22 point average.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad