Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Blake Comeau 3 Years, 2.4 AAV

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
Cheaper than mcginn. As long as he's on the third line it's a Solid. Would've preferred a more defensive forward ala winnik etc.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
I like Comeau. Also, I work with a Pens fan - asked his opinion of him and he says he's a great player so long as he isn't slotted into the first line (see the Pens' injuries last season).

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I'm meh on this one. Not great, not awful. If he can manage 12, maybe 15 goals per season it'll probably be worth it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He actually has better corsi without Malkin than with him. And Malkin better without Comeau as well. Not a good fit? He only played around 100 minutes with Crosby.

Ah okay.

Decent player. Would like someone like him on a very short term deal though.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
He actually has better corsi without Malkin than with him. And Malkin better without Comeau as well. Not a good fit? He only played around 100 minutes with Crosby.

malkin without got slightly better zone starts and i think comeau was with malkin later in the season when pens were struggling with injuries so relative corsi (to rest of the team) difference might not be that big.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Did we really need another 3rd line forward?

IMO, yes. Not sure that was the right guy, but the Avs needed to add a veteran player up front, IMO.

What we didn't need is another average 4th line/AHL forward. I'm pretty sure Comeau is better than that.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Really wish it was just a one year deal. Will be interesting how we manage the cap next year, especially if Radulov is really in the mix.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I thought that malkin, everbeast, and grigs or hishon were going to be the 3rd liners so I saw this as an unnecessary pickup unless he was signed to play the 4th line and then that would be way too much to pay a 4th liner.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
2.4 is pretty much what decent 3rd liners get these day, he is just that. No issues with this signing.

at this point almost every team has at least one guy on the 3rd line making 4+. 2-3 on the 2-2.5 range is not out of the ordinary.

Not super familiar with the player, but his stats and general play style seem to be something Colorado needs.

The Avs bottom 2 lines were a drag on the roster last year, almost as much as the D at times depending on injuries. Comeau checks a lot of boxes for the Avs, 3rd line player that can also do the 4th line job if he drops down. Also, sparingly, can be used to spell top 2 line minutes. I had other players higher on the list, but just did not look at Comeau at all. I would put money on the Avs signing one more bottom two line forward perhaps a bit later in the month, one of the players left without a chair after the first week, a short term project signing.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I thought that malkin, everbeast, and grigs or hishon were going to be the 3rd liners so I saw this as an unnecessary pickup unless he was signed to play the 4th line and then that would be way too much to pay a 4th liner.

I highly doubt Hishon is even the 1st call-up in the AHL.

Also a versatile forward like Comeau can never be a bad thing. Also replaced McGinn.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Still not sure why people think Hishon is an NHL player. He is a decent AHL player at best. He got his shot when injuries hit last year and did ok, not great. He really did not make the team any better. I know he is our prospect and we want our prospects to succeed but he will not be on the Avs roster to start the season. If our moves push Cliche and maybe even Bordy down, then he is likely 3rd or 4th in the call up ranks.

Comeau will surprise people with his play, especially those who have not really watched him. He can be a good player. He is streaky, like McGinn was, but rather than being a more physical player he is more cerebral with his defensive play. He should be good for 35-45 points on the third line. That is pretty good.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
If he can play that McGinn role and prevent McLeod from moving above the 4th line, that's a welcomed addition. Still don't understand the need to make him THE target though. It'll be interesting to see what Fehr, Ward, Glencross, etc get.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad