GDT: Avs @ Sharks (Again): And For Those Reasons...I'm Out (8:30 MT)

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
I swear I don't know what a lot of you expect from MacDermid. Given his role and the fact that he's really only playing because we've been injured as f*** he's performing as I would expect. His stats suggest he's our 7th or 8th best D man, which checks out because that's what he would be on our depth chart if not for injuries. There's a reason Bednar plays him, he's neither over performing nor underperforming as far as his depth position should. We get what you'd expect from the guy. Except here people expect mistake free hockey and him to play more like a 3/4 dman, but he isn't that. He makes mistakes you'd expect from a depth dude. I maintain he's been fine given his role and his position on the depth chart.
Who is expecting mistake free hockey from Dermy? That’s the last thing I expect from him. He’s unplayable in the playoffs, he’d get eaten alive. If we needed a depth dman to play in the playoffs Hunt would get called up. Dermy plays low minutes against bad teams in the regular season. Hunt plays more minutes when he’s in the lineup, that shows Bednar trusts him more than Dermy. We have a strong enough D-core that we can overcome Dermy’s spot starts while Hunt is in the A.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I root for him so much, but he’s funny to watch sometimes. He’s a decent passer and I like when he uses his slap shot from the point. It’s just the physicality he should bring is embarrassingly absent. I’d love him to crush some folks. But he’s playing Bednar’s way and good for him but boring for me.

I think part of him not hitting as much is skating/conditioning related. When he first got here he was playing a lot more regularly and probably stayed in game shape.

Hard for a big guy to get back in game shape both outside of games and inside of games playing 8 minutes or so. And you can't fully recreate game pace in practice.

Reactions: Gumballhead

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
MV5BM2E3ZGQxNDEtMzE4ZS00Yjg2LTk4NGItNjcyMWQ4YjQyZGRlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDE5MTU2MDE@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Blurb: "Avalanche Sharks tells the story of a bikini contest that turns into a horrifying affair when it is hit by a shark avalanche."

IMDb

Seems like we're in for quite a low-quality game tonight.

Les Dents De La Neige = Teeth Of The Snow :laugh:

Over/under 5 seconds on the length of their pitch meeting?

Reactions: wayninja

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I think part of him not hitting as much is skating/conditioning related. When he first got here he was playing a lot more regularly and probably stayed in game shape.

Hard for a big guy to get back in game shape both outside of games and inside of games playing 8 minutes or so. And you can't fully recreate game pace in practice.
We've also seen what happens to Dmen when they don't play how Bednar wants them too - Big Z was in his doghouse constantly. Clearly, MacDermid is doing what Bednar asks which very well may be to stay away from the physical stuff for risk of getting out of position. We may all want and expect him to drop gloves all the time and lay out big hits, but that's not what Bedsy is asking of him.

Reactions: Gumballhead

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Malgin back to 2RW

I think Bednar might have wanted to build a 4th line for tryout purposes. He likes to put guys together who are competing with each other for spots in the lineup. He does this a lot in pre-season. In this case for the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad