Pre-Game Talk: Avs Round-Robin Thread

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Don't they reseed after every round this time? I'm not sure you can game out round two yet if that's the case.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I don't expect a big war of words between our fanbase and the Yotes' 3 fans during this series. :sarcasm:

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Don't they reseed after every round this time? I'm not sure you can game out round two yet if that's the case.

They reseed according to win % during the season. We already know where the teams are.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
If the playoffs had been seeded according to divisional/wild card standings we would have been facing Dallas in round 1 followed by St. Louis in round 2 without home ice/last change. Getting Arizona instead is effectively like winning our division and facing a wildcard team, and we'll also get last change against St. Louis (or Dallas) in round 2. Looking at it that way it's a pretty good situation to be in compared to how the seeding would have been under normal circumstances.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
I guess depending on whaat happens tomorrow and in round 1 that if we win there's a realistic chance we don't have to play the Blues in rounds 2 or even better the Blues have to play Vegas. Or even better one or both of them lose.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I personally feel like the first round matchups, and maybe even the 2nd round, are a crap shoot.

yeah, certain teams are better than other on paper. But these guys haven’t played in 5 months. All you need is 1 hot goalie and one suspect goalie on the other end to cause multiple upsets.

some teams hit the ground running. Others take a full season to get going. Look at the blues last year. Yeah, the goaltending change made the difference. But they also played significantly better as the season went along.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I guess depending on whaat happens tomorrow and in round 1 that if we win there's a realistic chance we don't have to play the Blues in rounds 2 or even better the Blues have to play Vegas. Or even better one or both of them lose.
For us to avoid the Blues in round 2, either of these scenarios needs to happen:
  • Dallas beats Blues to finish as the 3rd seed, and then also beat Calgary.
or
  • St Louis lose their series against Calgary/Vancouver.
Obviously we have to take care of business against Arizona first which is far from a gimmie.

Reactions: Balthazar

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
They reseed according to win % during the season. We already know where the teams are.
Yeah... But then so much depends on who wins the other series, doesn't it? You can't bracket it out this time as a matter of "Avs play the winner of X series", because it will all depend on who advances to the semis. We'll get the second from the bottom ranked team no matter what, but plenty of chaos could happen to have us face pretty much anyone besides Vegas in round two depending on who is left.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah... But then so much depends on who wins the other series, doesn't it? You can't bracket it out this time as a matter of "Avs play the winner of X series", because it will all depend on who advances to the semis. We'll get the second from the bottom ranked team no matter what, but plenty of chaos could happen to have us face pretty much anyone besides Vegas in round two depending on who is left.
It's still pretty easy to predict.
For example, we already know that if we win our series and STL win theirs we'll face each other in round 2 unless the Stars win their game tommorow and then beat the Flames.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
For example, we already know that if we win our series and STL win theirs we'll face each other in round 2 unless the Stars win their game tommorow and beat the Flames.
What if Chicago beats Vegas? I know that isn't likely but how do you figure Avs/Blues in round two no matter what happens? Maybe I'm just being dense but I don't see how that's knowable when there are two other series going on and nobody knows the results of those yet.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
For example, we already know that if we win our series and STL win theirs we'll face each other in round 2 unless the Stars win their game tommorow and then beat the Flames.
Also, I just looked it up, it reseeds according to seeding, not win%. So the seeds in the West are:

Vegas
Colorado
St. Louis/Dallas
Vancouver
Calgary
Arizona
Chicago

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Also, I just looked it up, it reseeds according to seeding, not win%. So the seeds in the West are:

Vegas
Colorado
St. Louis/Dallas
Vancouver
Calgary
Arizona
Chicago
I know all that. Vegas get the worst team left in round 2...unless the Blues become the worst team left we'll have to face them.

Of course Chicago beating Vegas is best case scenario. We're assuming that Vegas, Avs and STL all win their 1st round. If they don't then who knows.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I know all that. Vegas get the worst team left in round 2...unless the Blues become the worst team left we'll have to face them.

Of course Chicago beating Vegas is best case scenario. We're assuming that Vegas, Avs and STL all win their 1st round. If they don't then who knows.
You’re also assuming St. Louis beats Dallas today.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
You’re also assuming St. Louis beats Dallas today.
If the Blues beat Dallas today then we face STL in round 2.

....and it doesn't bode well since they'll be missing their 1C and 1G

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
If the Blues beat Dallas today then we face STL in round 2.

....and it doesn't bode well since they'll be missing their 1C and 1G

Yeah, I think I’ll cheer for the Stars in this one. Mostly because I think a Blues/Canucks series would be fun. I also think the Canucks have a better chance of upsetting Stl than Calgary does.

Reactions: Richard88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad