Pre-Game Talk: Avs Round-Robin Thread

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
A thread to discuss Avs stuff between GDT's.

Nuke on the 2nd line is awesome but Burakovski on the top line isn't very convincing. I'm not sure Bednar will keep the top line as-is for long.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'd consider swapping Landy or Nuke into that top spot and Bura with Kadri and the other. I can see Nuke and Mack really clicking.

Nuke-Mack-Rant
Landy-Kadri-Bura

Reactions: avsfan09

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Give Burakovsky one more game with MacK and Rants.

If he doesn’t perform better against the Stars, then I’d probably throw Donskoi up there. He’s been playing better after the break.

I just love the fact that this newly formed second line is so versatile. They can play shutdown hockey, or go on the offensive. Landy just needs to find his scoring touch.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I get that people like the new 2nd line, but I worry that we're neutering our best player by taking Landeskog away from him at even strength. Landy did a lot of heavy lifting for that line, and I think if we go deep we'll need that three headed monster to take us there.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Even Mikko Rantanen at less than full speed is pretty special.

This play kinda got lost in the shuffle of the crazy Kadri goal, but at about the ten second mark Rantanen lures two Blues defenders towards him and finds Kadri open in the slot.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd put Namestnikov on that Top line. He can do a lot of the heavy lifting defensive play Landy did on that top line before, and he's got a bit of knack for finding the puck in front of the net.

Names - Mack - Mikko
Landy - Kadri - Nuke
Bura - Compher - Donny
Calvert - PEB - Nieto
Jost

Pretty crazy just how deep this team actually is when healthy.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
A few other thoughts:

- Jost > Nieto at least for now. I really liked the energy Jost brought to the 4th line. Say what you will about the guy, but he plays hard.

- It’s almost like the power play issue is just not being urgent enough. That power play to win the game was phenomenal. The puck was absolutely zipping around the ice. It’s just too bad they don’t pass the puck around at that pace normally.

- I’d give Francouz one start in the round robin to keep him sharp, but Grubauer is the man for the playoffs, unless he falters.

- I think Zadorov was the only player on the D core who didn’t play well. Even he landed a couple big hits as well. If Bednar keeps Cole’s minutes to 17 and under I think he could be really effective throughout the playoffs.

- The top line will need to be better moving forward. MacK is a little too singularly focused on shooting, Rantanen isn’t up to speed yet, and Bura has to find his game.

- Agressive Makar is the best Makar. When he’s closing the gap quickly defensively, he’s a real force. I think opponents are surprised how quickly he covers ice, and it forces them into turnovers sometimes. Loved to see him take out Blais with the body on a couple of occasions. The guy is probably already one of the strongest 5’11 players in the league.

- The ice sucked and I think it’s regularly effecting high skill plays on the ice.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I'd put Namestnikov on that Top line. He can do a lot of the heavy lifting defensive play Landy did on that top line before, and he's got a bit of knack for finding the puck in front of the net.

Names - Mack - Mikko
Landy - Kadri - Nuke
Bura - Compher - Donny
Calvert - PEB - Nieto
Jost

Pretty crazy just how deep this team actually is when healthy.
I like your top two lines but Bura on the third isn’t gonna work, IMO.

I really liked that second line, though, and have been saying we should drop Landy down to it for a while.......so I think we should keep Bura up there for at least another game to see if they can find some chemistry.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I watched the game with friends and asked them if they were players, would they agree to playing in a bubble next season. They instantly both replied yes for the $.

Seems to me that‘s the only way sports teams can pull this off. BB and hockey. Call me a pessimist but I can’t see football and baseball doing that. But that also offers huge advertising benefits if the NHL could take advantage of it. They’d be in a strong position because companies would be falling all over themselves to advertise. I also suspect owners are going to be very hard pressed to fill a lot of arenas going forward.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I'd consider swapping Landy or Nuke into that top spot and Bura with Kadri and the other. I can see Nuke and Mack really clicking.

Nuke-Mack-Rant
Landy-Kadri-Bura
I like this or Donskoi. Maybe potentially Compher. I still think Kadri and Landeskog will be good together, it just comes down to whether or not we find a good enough replacement on the top line.

Mackinnon: “I played with a lot of different guys, and I seemed to really click well with (Joonas) Donskoi. That really seemed to work well. It was just simple hockey, a simple style of hockey. Guys were moving quick and going to the net. I don’t know, it just worked out great."

Reactions: CobraAcesS

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I get that people like the new 2nd line, but I worry that we're neutering our best player by taking Landeskog away from him at even strength. Landy did a lot of heavy lifting for that line, and I think if we go deep we'll need that three headed monster to take us there.
I think Donskoi or Namestnikov can do some of the dirty work and maybe focusing on that will help them click. I'm willing to give them a shot first.

We know Landy works there but we have the play-ins atleast to see if anyone else does. Mack is amazing and can carry lesser wingers, they just need to have chemistry.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I watched the game with friends and asked them if they were players, would they agree to playing in a bubble next season. They instantly both replied yes for the $.

Seems to me that‘s the only way sports teams can pull this off. BB and hockey. Call me a pessimist but I can’t see football and baseball doing that. But that also offers huge advertising benefits if the NHL could take advantage of it. They’d be in a strong position because companies would be falling all over themselves to advertise. I also suspect owners are going to be very hard pressed to fill a lot of arenas going forward.

giphy.gif

I’m not sure what is going to happen, and I agree with most of your post, but I just don’t see players agreeing to stay in a bubble that long

Last edited:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Here's an outside-the-box idea...

Given how Burakovsky is ill-suited to the 3rd line on his own, how about pairing Burakovsky with Rantanen away from Mackinnon?

Namestnikov ---- Mackinnon ---- Donskoi
Landeskog ---------- Kadri -------- Nichuskin
Burakovsky ------- Compher ------ Rantanen
Calvert ----------- Bellemare ------ Jost/Nieto

Mackinnon can create things on his own for the most part and just needs a couple of guys who are defensively responsible and who can go to the dirty areas to get him the puck. The 2nd line is awesome.

We can roll the top 3 lines pretty evenly at 5v5 and create mismatches in matchups with two good forwards on the "3rd" line. Every now and then throughout a game Bednar can top the lines again as he did yesterday.

Reactions: Zolik37 and Linds

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Even Mikko Rantanen at less than full speed is pretty special.

This play kinda got lost in the shuffle of the crazy Kadri goal, but at about the ten second mark Rantanen lures two Blues defenders towards him and finds Kadri open in the slot.

God what a sequence. Makar was magical at keeping the puck in and they just peppered the Blues into submission. If we hadn't scored that .01 second goal Kadri would be getting a lot of heat for blowing that golden opportunity moments earlier.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Swap Bura and Nuke to start against the Stars, leave the Kadri line alone. Nuke with Nate and Mikko would be fun to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad