Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Nichushkin

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Personally, I wouldn't have any issue whatsoever giving him another chance. But it's also not my team or my image getting the publicity.

Be very curious to see what, if anything, the Avs do with this. Would they have enough here from the two incidents to release Nuke and void the contract? Would they do that even if they could?

Lots of unknowns, as fans nothing we can do but just wait and let it play out, and I guess hope for whatever outcome you'd prefer to see happen.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Personally, I wouldn't have any issue whatsoever giving him another chance. But it's also not my team or my image getting the publicity.

Be very curious to see what, if anything, the Avs do with this. Would they have enough here from the two incidents to release Nuke and void the contract? Would they do that even if they could?

Lots of unknowns, as fans nothing we can do but just wait and let it play out, and I guess hope for whatever outcome you'd prefer to see happen.
The Avs might've had something from the first incident, but we don't know the full story and I doubt we'll ever know.

This one, unless I've missed some information is just him checking himself/being persuaded into the Player's Assistance program. Yes, he's abusing a substance, but unless he was doing it in Joe's office I can't see how this would add into a case of voiding the contract.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
This is way too complicated of an issue to say he should get all the chances in the world vs no chances. I don't think either blanket statement can be applied without context that we don't have knowledge of.

I've had people around me get better from issues. I also have had people that I've had to cut out because the issues were too deep. It isn't black and white.

It’s also a bit of a topic for me right now as I lost my cousin to addiction less than a week ago. So I’d rather see someone get the help they need rather than it turn into something worse.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The Avs might've had something from the first incident, but we don't know the full story and I doubt we'll ever know.

This one, unless I've missed some information is just him checking himself/being persuaded into the Player's Assistance program. Yes, he's abusing a substance, but unless he was doing it in Joe's office I can't see how this would add into a case of voiding the contract.
There are likely grounds to void the contract… but odds are it would end up in arbitration where who knows how it would end up.

These entrances to the program are almost always termed ‘voluntary’ when the reality of that is mixed. Sometimes it is, many times it actually isn’t. Players get that volun-told treatment where if they don’t enter, teams will investigate their options for voiding. We don’t know here beyond a statement that was constructed under the guise of PR. In other words, will will never really know.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
These entrances to the program are almost always termed ‘voluntary’ when the reality of that is mixed. Sometimes it is, many times it actually isn’t. Players get that volun-told treatment where if they don’t enter, teams will investigate their options for voiding. We don’t know here beyond a statement that was constructed under the guise of PR. In other words, will will never really know.
Don't forget his wife. It could very well indirectly come from his wife. Especially with what happened last year.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The most infuriating thing about this is easily that it's concrete proof that Adrian f***ing Dater STILL has more and better access to the Avs than anybody who has a press pass and/or respect.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The most infuriating thing about this is easily that it's concrete proof that Adrian f***ing Dater STILL has more and better access to the Avs than anybody who has a press pass and/or respect.
Naw...Dater was probably Nuke's Lyft driver, that's how he got the scoop.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Don't forget his wife. It could very well indirectly come from his wife. Especially with what happened last year.
I’m speaking only from the organization/player perspective. Don’t need to wade into that area. Just simply saying how these items have been termed in the past and the reality behind the scenes.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I don't think the Avs would try to terminate his contract given he's outperformed it.

At some point the distraction becomes too much. Plus there's the marketing/Team image side of it as well.

I dont think we're at that point yet but I would bet it's at least a possibility if things don't get better fairly quickly.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
So he's over a point/game while being an addict/alcoholic? Would be interesting to see what he's like completely clean.
There really isn’t any evidence that the typical usage in these cases hurts on ice performance. Some of the guys with the biggest issues, has their best years while dealing with their demons. If we are talking about some specific drugs… some arguments they are better on the drugs.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
So he's over a point/game while being an addict/alcoholic? Would be interesting to see what he's like completely clean.

Is it about drinking or anything like this though? I mean it can be about some kind of psychology help. He can just have problems within family, does the programme cover cases like this?

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
And?

What would your boss say if you needed to take time off because of substance abuse problems after already f***ing up the year before in the most critical period of the year for your company after signing a hefty contract?

In your opinion, just because he makes millions, he IS entitled to take off any time he wants to deal with his drug/alcohol problems.

My boss would say "okay" and "good luck" because if he didn't he'd be violating the ADA.

Did you really think your employer can fire you for seeking assistance with rehab programs? If you did, I'd really urge you to research your rights as an employee.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
My boss would say "okay" and "good luck" because if he didn't he'd be violating the ADA.

Did you really think your employer can fire you for seeking assistance with rehab programs? If you did, I'd really urge you to research your rights as an employee.
Oh boy… there are so many exceptions in ADA with this. Basically if they can prove you were using drugs during employment, they are wishing their rights to terminate. ADA covers people in rehab (not going, key difference) or who have gotten out of rehab.

Essentially if you get caught with drugs, fail a test or admit drug usage… companies can fire and still be in compliance.

Last edited:

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Did they say alcohol? No one probably has any idea but his agent and the powers that be. If they just had a baby i am sure he is doing this for his family leaving his wife alone with a newborn most likely he hit rock bottom hope he gets the help he needs.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Did the say alcohol? No one probably has any idea but his agent and the team if they just had a baby i am sure he is doing this for his family, hope he gets the help he needs.
It hasn’t been stated… but Nuke could be on a 10 bender surrounded by vodka bottles all day long and his agent would deny Nuke uses alcohol.

In other words… you’ll never hear an official word.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Fans of other teams are going to absolutely lose it when we get all these resources added around playoff time. Avs don't need to chase a top seed, just get everyone prepared for game one in April.

Reactions: tbassler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad