Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Nichushkin

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I like Nuke being on the third, and think Dong and Nuke could make for one hell of a puck possession duo. JTC is the one I'm not sure about. Maybe he finally figures out how to play like he's against Chicago against the rest of the league?
HatefulLeanEmperorshrimp-size_restricted.gif

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I like Nuke being on the third, and think Dong and Nuke could make for one hell of a puck possession duo. JTC is the one I'm not sure about. Maybe he finally figures out how to play like he's against Chicago against the rest of the league?
As far as 3rd lines go it's a pretty good one, and each one of Nichuskin/Compher/Donskoi are good 3rd liners in isolation.

However, as you said, Compher isn't a natural fit at C so that would be an area to improve. We can probably get away with Compher at 3C again during the regular season, but it would be ideal to add a 3C at the deadline, which would also push Compher to 4RW and give us a very strong 4th line.

Reactions: MarkT

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
They just need to get his mind in the right spot. Hit, skate and never quit on the backcheck and everything else will follow for him. He's not devoid of talent but he's never going to be a scorer.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Great! Russian national team lock. Big. Just like Saad. Are we going to go after Gusev now for the playoffs? And what happens with Jost?

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Great! Russian national team lock. Big. Just like Saad. Are we going to go after Gusev now for the playoffs? And what happens with Jost?
Our forward group is set without Jost.

Landeskog --- Mackinnon --- Rantanen
Burakovsky ----- Kadri -------- Saad
Nichuskin ----- Compher ----- Donskoi
Calvert --------- Bellemare ---- Kaut
O'Connor/Salomaki/Sherwood

That said, depending on how pricey the Dman we bring in is there may be enough caproom left to resign Jost on a cheap deal as a depth forward, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of resigning him. Either way it makes sense that Sakic has saved the Jost deal for last as we'll want to see how much room we have to play with after other additions before deciding on whether or not it's worth keeping Jost.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Our forward group is set without Jost.

Landeskog --- Mackinnon --- Rantanen
Nichuskin ----- Compher ----- Donskoi
Calvert --------- Bellemare ---- Kaut
O'Connor/Salomaki/Sherwood

That said, depending on how pricey the Dman we bring in is there may be enough caproom left to resign Jost on a cheap deal as a depth forward, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of resigning him. Either way it makes sense that Sakic has saved the Jost deal for last as we'll want to see how much room we have to play with after other additions before deciding on whether or not it's worth keeping Jost.
Compher at 3C :/

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Only until the deadline ;)

Landeskog --- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Nichuskin ------ Danault ------ Donskoi
Calvert --------- Bellemare ---- Compher
Kaut/O'Connor/Salomaki/Sherwood
Danault won't even try if he is on aline with those 2 turds. He wants to continue to play with Gallagher and Tatar and they are better than your 2nd line wingers. Who would you trade for him anyway?

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Danault won't even try if he is on aline with those 2 turds. He wants to continue to play with Gallagher and Tatar and they are better than your 2nd line wingers. Who would you trade for him anyway?
We could always mix and match by putting Saad on his line and bumping Donskoi back up, to give ourselves 3 scoring threat lines.

If we somehow acquire a RHD this week (eg. Cernak/Weegar/Vatanen/etc) I would be open to moving Timmins in the right deal. He would be blocked at RHD, and we now have Barron (and Helleson) in the prospect pool.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
One thing I love about Nichushkin is if any Avs fans out there hate "advanced" stats and also watched him, he might have singlehandedly changed their minds. Everything advanced stats tells us about Nichushkin is backed up 100% by just watching him play, even casually. I'm so happy we get to see him for at least another year because I think he has even more to give. Remember he spent the first half of the season building up his confidence and getting tons of scoring chances. If he goes into this season confident we may have an under-the-radar legit top 6 winger here.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
One thing I love about Nichushkin is if any Avs fans out there hate "advanced" stats and also watched him, he might have singlehandedly changed their minds. Everything advanced stats tells us about Nichushkin is backed up 100% by just watching him play, even casually. I'm so happy we get to see him for at least another year because I think he has even more to give. Remember he spent the first half of the season building up his confidence and getting tons of scoring chances. If he goes into this season confident we may have an under-the-radar legit top 6 winger here.

And even if he doesn't score that's okay. Not every player on a team needs to be a top flight scorer. Val works well as a defensive guy that generates offense thorough his defensive and offensive pressure. He's your perfect 3rd line lockdown guy. I think he's already shown he can perform in that role. We just need to trust him in bigger situations. Either way, he's a steal of a player and someone I am happy to say is on my team.

Give him minutes and watch him flourish.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019

Are we going to ignore this dude calling Joonas and King Val a couple of turds?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Too bad Montreal forgot to fix the most important position which is center. Keep spending that money on wingers!

Reactions: Ncit3 and BrickNHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->