Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Nichushkin

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Who would have thought when they signed him as a UFA that he would become everybody's favorite? I don't recall a single one of us being more than lukewarm on the signing when it first came out.

Reactions: Kaizer and MarkT

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Kotka and Suzuki look good for the future and they have one of the best defensive players in the league in Danault. There’s some inconsistencies in the young guys still but getting top 6 C’s doesn’t make sense.
Whether their 1st line center is Suzuki or Kotkaniemi right now, they're not going anywhere with that. Who knows about the future, it may or may not work for them

Reactions: Ncit3 and BrickNHL

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Who would have thought when they signed him as a UFA that he would become everybody's favorite? I don't recall a single one of us being more than lukewarm on the signing when it first came out.

There were quite a few who liked the signing and hoped he could turn into something. But that has been true of multiple potential fringe signings in the past.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
There were quite a few who liked the signing and hoped he could turn into something. But that has been true of multiple potential fringe signings in the past.
I was honestly more enthused about Yakupov when we signed him. The conditions were very different though, given the season we had just had and the expectations of the team for the season being "Fallin' for Dahlin". The Avs as a contender I felt had no room for a bust winger.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
And even if he doesn't score that's okay. Not every player on a team needs to be a top flight scorer. Val works well as a defensive guy that generates offense thorough his defensive and offensive pressure. He's your perfect 3rd line lockdown guy. I think he's already shown he can perform in that role. We just need to trust him in bigger situations. Either way, he's a steal of a player and someone I am happy to say is on my team.

Give him minutes and watch him flourish.

Oh of course. I never said he needs to score. If all he gives us is what he gave us last season I will be extremely happy. I just think that with a year to get comfortable, we might see him get to another level, which would be absolutely amazing.

Reactions: Kaizer

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Lies :sarcasm:

So if his expected goals were 6 last year and he had 0... Reversion to the mean indicates he'll be a 12 goals scorer this year.

And if he improves on his shot totals its easy to add another 3 goals. 3 goals is nothing right? Just a hatrick. And 12 plus 3 is at minimum 15. So we basically picked up a 15 goal scorer.

That would have tied him for 5th most goals on competitive teams like the Preds (recent Stanley cup finalists) or Oilers (McDavid's team).

Arguably a top 6 goal scorer for league minimum in UFA. Sakic never misses!

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I was honestly more enthused about Yakupov when we signed him. The conditions were very different though, given the season we had just had and the expectations of the team for the season being "Fallin' for Dahlin". The Avs as a contender I felt had no room for a bust winger.

That dude...such a damn waste of talent and potential. He's a bigger bust than Daigle. Which is saying something considering the hype of Daigle.

That said, I think Nuke was a better fit for what we needed and more physical in the NHL game than Yak.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
That dude...such a damn waste of talent and potential. He's a bigger bust than Daigle. Which is saying something considering the hype of Daigle.

That said, I think Nuke was a better fit for what we needed and more physical in the NHL game than Yak.
With Yak's personality, if he had even an ounce of brains he would be a beloved NHL star that even division rivals would be hard pressed to hate. He was so likeable on and off the ice, such a shame he didn't work out. I really wanted it to, but he just has sand between his ears.

Reactions: MarkT

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
With Yak's personality, if he had even an ounce of brains he would be a beloved NHL star that even division rivals would be hard pressed to hate. He was so likeable on and off the ice, such a shame he didn't work out. I really wanted it to, but he just has sand between his ears.

Million dollar talent, .10 brain and hockey IQ.

Reactions: McMetal

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
5 points away from matching last years points totals and 11 points away from hitting career points. Tremendous.

He honestly gets better every single year. Conn Smyth this year. Hart next year.

All his improvement is based on his confidence growing IMO. He's acting like a straight boss this year after he scores or his buddy MacKinnon scores.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Some funny takes I wanna re-read comments to the time he first signed - conedy gold

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
To think Nuke went from a 91 game streak with no goals and signing here to what may as well have been a PTO to becoming a legit 1st line winger and not being able to keep him off the scoresheet all while being our best forechecker, a staple on PP1 and a great PKer.

His latest contract is looking like a steal.
I remember him saying that he felt he gave the Avs a discount on his deal and thinking that was a bit bold at the time. He was absolutely right though.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
To think Nuke went from a 91 game streak with no goals and signing here to what may as well have been a PTO to becoming a legit 1st line winger and not being able to keep him off the scoresheet all while being our best forechecker, a staple on PP1 and a great PKer.

The impact Mackinnon has had on him can't be understated either.

I remember one of the first "interviews" he did a couple years ago, he talked about how seeing the dedication and drive Mack had to get better every single day gave him no excuse not to be doing the same thing.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I remember him saying that he felt he gave the Avs a discount on his deal and thinking that was a bit bold at the time. He was absolutely right though.

There's likely a snapshot in time element to how fans look at this. At the time he makes this statement, there was still a restrictive salary cap. But the players are also thinking about what the deal will look like down the road once the cap increases. In that moment, fans only look at it as it relates to the cap when the comment was made.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

I remember people grousing about his contract after winning the SC. They were insane.

Reactions: The Moops

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad