Confirmed with Link: Avs Re-sign Cale Makar to 6-Year Deal

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Very happy. 8 years would have been great but the AAV would have been a problem for the next few years so very compromise. Obviously Cale and his agent are banking on the cap going up quite a bit by then and combine that with maybe a few Norris and Makar could be cleaning up at his next contract. The 6-yr also make it easier for him to get another strong deal on his next one because he will still be under 30 yrs old.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
The Avs still have Makar until he’s 28, and at a price tag lower than probably all of us thought.

We’ll cross the bridge when we come to it in 2027. Calgary fans will be on high alert I’m sure.

Reactions: jabubenice

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Why are people bringing up Heiskanen?

Heiskanen: 95 points in 205 games
Makar: 94 points in 101 games

Heiskanen is a nice player, but Makar he is not. Talk to me about eye tests but points and Norris nominations matter.

Because points aren't everything.

Either bridge 2-3 years so still RFA when contract expires or go full 8 years.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Because points aren't everything.

Either bridge 2-3 years so still RFA when contract expires or go full 8 years.

Actually, points and stats are indeed everything in contract negotiations.

The Stars are paying $500k less for a player that gets you half the points and will never be on a Norris finalist list.

I don’t see the comparison.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
6 years of prime Makar secured! Well done Joe.

I think it's a fair deal to both sides. Landy take notes.

Reactions: John Snow

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Why would Makar accept the Heiskanen contract?

Not sure if people were paying attention, but Makar blew Heiskanen out of the water last season.

Edit: @RoyIsALegend beat me to it.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
The Avs still have Makar until he’s 28, and at a price tag lower than probably all of us thought.

We’ll cross the bridge when we come to it in 2027. Calgary fans will be on high alert I’m sure.

Sakic going to Burnaby all over again?

I don't like the wording of his insta page but thats probably reading too much into it.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Actually, points and stats are indeed everything in contract negotiations.

The Stars are paying $500k less for a player that gets you half the points and will never be on a Norris finalist list.

I don’t see the comparison.

Heiskanen was 12th 2 years ago in voting while Makar was 9th. He's not that far off.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo

giphy.webp

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Yea the 8 years would be much more ideal. That Miro contract looks better now, you have to wonder if his "down" year played a role. The guy was a front runner for a Conn Smythe just a year ago.

In any case, the deal is not a home run but you can't compare Cale to anyone prior, he sets the new bar for defenseman contracts. And then in 6 yrs time with a few Norris trophys under his belt he is going to set the bar again.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
This is great news for Avs fans, not sure why anyone is disappointed.

The thing about negotiations is there are two parties trying to do what's best for them. Sure the Avs probably wanted a 8 year deal. Makar and agent probably wanted shorter, so he could maximize his value. Then both parties came to a very reasonable, mid point. Player can still maximize value, team get excellent player for an extended period of time.

I'm just stoked that the best dman in the league is here for the next 6 seasons helping us try to win a Cup. And there is no reason he can't be re-signed next time around. I don't think Cale would just walk out without giving us a shot.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I would have preferred a 7 year term but I’m still happy with this. I think people are really underestimating what an 8 year term would have cost in here, it would have come in at around 11 or higher.

Although this is a 6 year deal it actually only buys 1 UFA year, an additional 2 UFA years and putting Makar in a worse bargaining position (by being 30 years old for his next contract) does not only up the AAV by 1mil.

Reactions: Vaslof

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
That's a solid deal. I think the Avs and us fans obviously would have preferred 8 years... But on an 8 year deal I think we were looking at 10, maybe even 10.5M.

This is a solid compromise by both sides. We still have Cale locked in now for his 23-28 year old seasons.

And the cap hit comes in at about 1M less then I expected so that's 1M more to play with on Gruby and Landy

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Heiskanen was 12th 2 years ago in voting while Makar was 9th. He's not that far off.

Sooooooo… what exactly is wrong with Makar getting $500k more?

Other than eye tests, you are admitting yourself Makar is ahead. Points and fancy analytics make it not even close.

So, again… what’s wrong here in comparison to an inferior player(Heiskanen)’s contract?

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
This is great news for Avs fans, not sure why anyone is disappointed.

The thing about negotiations is there are two parties trying to do what's best for them. Sure the Avs probably wanted a 8 year deal. Makar and agent probably wanted shorter, so he could maximize his value. Then both parties came to a very reasonable, mid point. Player can still maximize value, team get excellent player for an extended period of time.

I'm just stoked that the best dman in the league is here for the next 6 seasons helping us try to win a Cup. And there is no reason he can't be re-signed next time around. I don't think Cale would just walk out without giving us a shot.

Yea I am surprised by the number of "should have been 8 years". That would have been a bad deal for Cale and his camp has a say in it too. It's not like Sakic can just dictate terms and get the best deal for the club every single negotiation. This is a great deal for both parties. Kudos to all involved.

Reactions: chet1926

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad