Confirmed with Link: Avs Re-sign Cale Makar to 6-Year Deal

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Not bad, considering the reports Makar was looking at 3 years and Colorado was looking at 8.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
That’s huge ! Of course it’s not 8 years, but it’s $9M, lower than expected, so good for the window :sarcasm:

The same Sakic wants 4 years for Landy because he will then decline, he is consistent also with Makar who will be worth more in 6 years than now.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
RFA vs UFA. Not comparable. Plus Heiskanen got an 8 year deal at less AAV. 9m isn’t a ‘discount’ over 6 years. If the deal was 8… slight discount.
9m at 8 years would be a huge discount.

Vk1ing

Feb 12, 2016
I glad we got this done. The term isn't ideal but makars camp probably wanted it so he could get overpaid as a free agent lol

Reactions: jabubenice

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
RFA vs UFA. Not comparable. Plus Heiskanen got an 8 year deal at less AAV. 9m isn’t a ‘discount’ over 6 years. If the deal was 8… slight discount.

I disagree. He gave you two UFA years and is a top 3 dman in the league...oh and took less money than Rantanen who is great but as a winger is a less important piece than Makar. This is a slight discount IMO, especially when you consider the 10.2whatever offer sheet was a possibility.

Reactions: Shane Diesel

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Not a fan of the deal.

2 less years than Heiskanen and 550k more and same UFA year as Girard.

If it was 8 years sure, 9 mill is great. Since it's 6 years, should be closer to 8.45 mill.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
9 million is a little less than I'd expect if the contract had been the full 8 (I was guessing it would be 9.75 or 10 per for 8 years). He'll be 28 when he is up for UFA and given general inflation, cap rises, etc he could easily see another 6-8 year deal that puts him at equal or higher money. Smart play.

8 years would have been nice but having this done and knowing Cale is with Colorado for the foreseeable future is great.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The AAV is great.

I really wish they could’ve gone 7/8 years though, I think upping the AAV would’ve been worth it.

The Avs definitely know they’re in a tight spot with the cap and are trying to help themselves in the short term.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I disagree. He gave you two UFA years and is a top 3 dman in the league...oh and took less money than Rantanen who is great but as a winger is a less important piece than Makar. This is a slight discount IMO, especially when you consider the 10.2whatever offer sheet was a possibility.
I don’t buy into the offer sheet issues… they rarely happen. Defensemen consistently get paid less than wingers, so less than Rants makes sense… and Makar basically just reset the RFA defensemen limit that was just reset by Heiskanen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad