Confirmed with Link: Avs Qualify Three RFAs, Don't Qualify Four

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
So Werner is out of the way to make room for Annunen as the #2 in Loveland. Adios, Adam, we'll always have Winnipeg.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
So Werner is out of the way to make room for Annunen as the #2 in Loveland. Adios, Adam, we'll always have Winnipeg.
I really, really hope we get at least a low quality NHL backup out of Annunen. I didn't follow him at all this last season, but the lack of chatter about him around here and the few things I remember is that he didn't have a good season. The Avs NEED to have some goalie draft pick pan out eventually. Please just let this one work out.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I really, really hope we get at least a low quality NHL backup out of Annunen. I didn't follow him at all this last season, but the lack of chatter about him around here and the few things I remember is that he didn't have a good season. The Avs NEED to have some goalie draft pick pan out eventually. Please just let this one work out.
Yeah, he had a poor season in Finland, that dropped his stock a lot. He has a chance to get things back on track with the Avs goalie coaches right there with him, next year is going to be key for his development. He's got to take a step forward or I think he's toast.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Feels like maybe Annunen is finally coming over.

Will be good to be able to evaluate him against NA competition to get a better idea of what we have. Also so that Jussi can hopefully help with his glove hand.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
prank calling Landeskog agent.

Tyson Barrie calling Gabe with a disguised Joe Sakic voice minutes before UFA opens.

Fake Sakic: "Hey Gabe, we'd like to make one last offer. We think you're worth $8M x 8 are you willing to accept that?"

Gabe: "Yes absolutely! Thanks Joe, I know it was hard for you to get to that number but....

Fake Sakic: "Gabe are you still there? Oh no!!! My phone fell into my snowblower!!! Noooooooo!!!!! (click)"

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I would have taken the Blackhawks route with Jost and not qualified him, then played hardball with him and offer him a one year, 900K contract. If he doesn't like it, go enjoy UFA.

If the Avs are sticking to one year with Jost, they may be able to get him to sign his QO which is $917,831.

He's arbitration eligible though, so if he wants to, he can probably garner a deal in the mid $1M's. Probably the same if he and the Avs talk a two year deal.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Jost really needs to get signed before arbitration… don’t want that hearing (though having the extra buyout window might be nice). All of this makes sense though. Players that weren’t qualified don’t have a future with the Avs. Werner was the best of the group, but losing a starting job to Miska… well that is a classic not ideal.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Jost really needs to get signed before arbitration… don’t want that hearing (though having the extra buyout window might be nice). All of this makes sense though. Players that weren’t qualified don’t have a future with the Avs. Werner was the best of the group, but losing a starting job to Miska… well that is a classic not ideal.
In the grand scheme of things I don't think it'll mean anything, but the Avs probably would have been better served keeping the 6'5, 205 pound goalie instead of the 6'1, 175 pound goalie. Easier to hide Werner's deficiencies than Miska's even in the AHL if proper work is put in.

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
I really dont understand Jost hate. Did you guys watched him last season? He was best depth guy after Nichuskin on a fantastic price tag. Why are you keep making him the problem of this team?
Current problems are Compher and Kadri.

Reactions: klozge and PAZ

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I really dont understand Jost hate. Did you guys watched him last season? He was best depth guy after Nichuskin on a fantastic price tag. Why are you keep making him the problem of this team?
Current problems are Compher and Kadri.
The "hate" is because he's a 20-25 point undersized centre who can't win faceoffs but is likely tasked with playing a defensive role, including killing penalties.

You can find a bunch of Tyson Jost's in free agency. If it was me and the ask was more than 1M per season, I'd say thank you and enjoy being a UFA.

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
The "hate" is because he's a 20-25 point undersized centre who can't win faceoffs but is likely tasked with playing a defensive role, including killing penalties.

You can find a bunch of Tyson Jost's in free agency. If it was me and the ask was more than 1M per season, I'd say thank you and enjoy being a UFA.

I strongy disagree that you can find a bunch of Tyson Josts for that price. Also there is posibility that his offensive numbers go up since he is 23 and also he greatly improved his game compared to season before, so he might be on the right trajectory.

Reactions: klozge

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I strongy disagree that you can find a bunch of Tyson Josts for that price. Also there is posibility that his offensive numbers go up since he is 23 and also he greatly improved his game compared to season before, so he might be on the right trajectory.
We say that every season and yet:

17-18: 22 points, 0.34 PPG
18-19: 26 points, 0.37 PPG
19-20: 23 points, 0.34 PPG
20-21: 17 points, 0.31 PPG

There's clearly a trend here. It's not all of a sudden magically going to click with Jost and he becomes a 40+ point two-way centre. He's not that player. 262 NHL games to his name, this isn't some inexperienced kid anymore. And it's not for lack of opportunity, either. In 17-18 he averaged 2:35 of PP time, in 18-19 he averaged 2:04, in 19-20 he averaged 1:42 and in 20-21 the Avs finally realized this guy simply isn't an offensive player and removed him almost entirely from the PP.

He's a 4th line centre. Every team needs one, but a Tyson Jost caliber player can be found anywhere in UFA.

Reactions: McMetal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad